Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 Magazine Question

Options
  • 09-01-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi i have a Remington 700 .243 with a Synthetic stock that has a blind box magazine, no floorplate.Can anyone tell me if i can get a magazine added or do i need to get a new stock.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

243Xpress wrote: »
    Hi i have a Remington 700 .243 with a Synthetic stock that has a blind box magazine, no floorplate.Can anyone tell me if i can get a magazine added or do i need to get a new stock.Thanks in advance.

Could you post a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

is it the lvsf you have? i say a good gunsmith could fit one for you but would probably be expensive or you could try fit one yourself but might be difficult, another option might be to buy a new stock and magazine system
    have a look at this, it might help some bit
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?14982-rem-lvsf

ormondprop wrote: »
    is it the lvsf you have? i say a good gunsmith could fit one for you but would probably be expensive or you could try fit one yourself but might be difficult, another option might be to buy a new stock and magazine system

Remington Mags are very expensive.

I'm not sure why OP wants a mag?
    225%20larger%20new%20thing.jpg

I only know of 2 or 3 guys that bothered getting a kit

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Its awkward loading it and especially unloading as you have to put bullet up the chamber to eject it.Would prefer a mag for this reason.Havent a pic at the minute.Will put one up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

It would probably be cheaper to put in a hinged floorplate than a detachable magazine. Im sure somebody could cut out the stock for you.
    You would have to price everything to see if its worthwhile as it might work out cheaper to trade the rifle for a new one

• Advertisement

Anyone have any idea of how much a new stock would cost fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

You can buy bell and carlson stocks from www.nwcustomparts.com for
    225 sterling. They have the alloy bedding block so they should screw straight on with minimal fitting.
    PSE composites in Cork also make a very good stock. very strong and lightweight but I dont know the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

You will have to get a new stock which is suitable for a detachable mag or floor plate design. you can get the conversion kit from adl to bdl, I had the same thoughts when I got a rem 700 blind. I've found the blind mag fine at least you know you won't be able to accidently drop the mag while out. The only thing as you know is cycling the rounds to clear the mag. I'm sure with the more flexible synthetic stock, having the blind mag adds more rigidity to the stock overall while firing. Cutting a section out of this stock may cause issues with accuracy. I've kept mine blind and upgraded the stock to a thumb hole laminate.

Try stockys stocks in the u.s, Boyds are pretty reasonable and good quality.

I think they do the conversion kits too if thats the way you want to go?

Why not get a new after market trigger while your at it and save on postage:D

Hope this helps

Thanks seoirse1980.Will look in to this and see what kind of money it would cost and really see if it is feasible.I dont want to spend a fortune at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

I couldn't justify the cost of conversion at the time and now I wouldn't change it.

Seoirse

• Advertisement

I thought it might have been an easy fix,but i know now it inst.Might hold tough for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

I did the conversion and never looked back. Got the "bottom metal" as the yanks call it and mag from a site called sniperpx for about 300USD (one of the few who ship to Ireland). Its the HS precison model and top quality but there are others like badger ordinance which the US marines use on their long rifles. Its great having the 10 rd mag for a long string of shots. I also have a bell carlson stock which was easy to fit the conversion to with just a small bit of filing.

roosman wrote: »
    I did the conversion and never looked back. Got the "bottom metal" as the yanks call it and mag from a site called sniperpx for about 300USD (one of the few who ship to Ireland). Its the HS precison model and top quality but there are others like badger ordinance which the US marines use on their long rifles. Its great having the 10 rd mag for a long string of shots. I also have a bell carlson stock which was easy to fit the conversion to with just a small bit of filing.

Lovely Rig, however if teh OP just got a second had stock of a CDL remmy (I know of 2 synthetic and Timber)
    He could get a drop floor pate stock for much less

(op seems to be on a budget AFAIK open to correction)

I definitely wouldn't bother with a floor plate system.Would have to be a stock that could take a magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

Forgot to mention that I also have the H&S 4 rd mag which fits fully flush with the mag well and which may be more desirable. the kit is cheaper if bought with the smaller mag.
    http://www.snipercountrypx.com/

Advertisement