Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell/Rossmore areas in Templeogue

Options
  • 09-01-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We are currently renting at the moment (after seeling our own house last year) but are going to start looking for a house this comming year.

We have seen a few houses in the Orwell/Rossmore area of Templeogue and are wonding what the area is like. Good points, bad points, any and all info welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The biggest problem around there is parking on the road, people park everywhere, on corners, opposite solid lines, opposite other cars. I have friends there and any time I visit I think how I'd hate to live there and have to navigate around them every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nice area......handy for m50 and handy for town.
    Horkans supermarket, chinese and newsagents close to hand.
    Pines pub and laurels pub down the road, spawell up the way.
    Cheap petrol garages in the area as well as tesco rathfarnham, dunnes ashleaf and superquinn sundrive road.
    Bushy park and tymon park are close also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

There are reasons why prices in this area are lower than elsewhere in Templeogue. Not least of which, it is actually on the very edge of Templeogue, flanked by the duel carriageway on one side and the end of Greenhills/Perrystown on the other. So it is not downtown Templeogue by any means and therefore less desirable than most of that area. Indeed, in terms of social snobbery it would be somewhat looked down upon in the area. If you look at it on the map, you can see this slightly detached geographical placement.

Also, it has over the years had problems with lads causing trouble. Now, we're not talking South-Central LA gangs, but rather persistent (relatively minor) issues with gangs of young lads hanging around causing hassle. I believe this situation has improved in recent years, but my point is more that this stigma about the place definitely still persists. Tymon and Greenhills Park don't help with this as that was a favourite mischief-making area.

I guess my point is this: if you were looking in South Dublin and this estate/area jumped out at you for its affordability compared to the surroundings, be aware that those things don't happen without a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Tbh i lived between Cypress Downs and Wainsfort most of my life and i have to say i'm very surprised by the above post. I have very very rarely encountered any anti social activity or even heard of it in the area. The only thing i would have seen would be kids hanging around but never really causing any trouble. A few times i've seen groups of kids on the big green area in front of the orwell shops but i would say its an extremely safe area to be in. The only time i ever experienced something negative was when a group of spanish students pushed me off the path (accidentally, they were just pushing by in their group being ignoring anyone else around them) and a passing car nearly hit me, but this is very much a once off thing.

Also i have never felt nor encountered any 'social snobbery' towards anyone in Orwell or Rossmore. I don't know where the above poster got this idea from either, unless its their own personal views possibly? Generally in Templeogue, the closer you are to Terenure the more expensive the housing prices, the closer to Tallght/Walkinstown (sorry!) they get a bit cheaper. That kind of area, orwell, willington, rossmore etc is a kind of mass produced area, they're all the same type of concrete block houses and unless the owner upgraded them i think they could be a bit old fashioned.

Tbh i think the area represents good value for money in terms of distance to town, m50, and access to public transport, you're probably buying a decent size of a house for the money but maybe not in showhouse condition. Good luck with the choice!!!

Edit i agree with first poster regarding parking, especially around the orwell shops area and school. I've had so many problems getting around those shops or at the t juction in front of them because people just ditch their cars and walk off. Generally its not much of a problem except a bit of annoyance because the roads are wide and usually not busy. However when it is busy its an absolute nightmare as you can have cars parked on both sides of roads and each way of traffic is trying to get through. The car park between shops and church is huge though so i don't get why people leave their cars parked at traffic lights!!! /rant

slowmoe wrote: »
    Also i have never felt nor encountered any 'social snobbery' towards anyone in Orwell or Rossmore. I don't know where the above poster got this idea from either, unless its their own personal views possibly?

I will only respond to that by referencing the prices in Orwell compared to every other part of Templeogue. Nothing whatsoever to do with my own personal views.

• Advertisement

I will only respond to that by referencing the prices in Orwell compared to every other part of Templeogue. Nothing whatsoever to do with my own personal views.

Prices don't immediately reflect a social attidue of looking down on an area do they? And tbh the prices now in wainsfort etc aren't that far above them. A lot of houses in wainsfort and fortfield are built on much larger plpots of land than the orwell/rossmore houses which will work out more expensive also it gives more of an opportunity to builld on if you have more land.

Just for info but a friend of mine who recently bought in the area said wainsfort was cheapest she thought but the cheaper properties were in worse order. She mentioned a 3 bed in wainsfort for 290k asking price in case you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Orwell has gotten a bad name from a number of high profile incidents which have occured there - primarily arguments between gangs or youths which end in a fight and someone being murdered or badly injured. Most notable was Brian Mulvaney in 2000, that was a high-profile one which ran for years.

The shopping centre is typical of most shopping centres in that you get gangs of kids hanging around making noise and running their arse-ugly 20 year old cars with stupid exhausts. I don't know anyone who would report consistent "trouble" such as harrassment, vandalism or burglaries in the area though.

I would agree with Treehouse that there's something of social snobbery between these areas and the Fortfield/Wainsfort area, but that primarily stems from the Orwell/Cypress area being somewhat newer and their proximity to Talllaght and Walkinstown meant that at the time they were seen as the "poor man's" Terenure.

Only older Terenure residents would still retain any such snobbery, so it's not really a consideration tbh.

Well as i said in my experience of living there and being from Wainsfort i never encountered that. Perhaps its only from our grandparents age. Also i went to our ladys and my brother to terenure and my sister in presentation and a fair number of students were from orwell ish area and i never noticed anything towards them, sadly the people arriving on 'the tallaght bus' were viewed in a less favourable light.

At the moment cypress would be one of the most desirable areas to live as its close to everything, the houses are lovely and well built and the streets are nice and clean. Cypress would be viewed as one of the nicest if not the nicest area in Templeogue.

The brian mulvaney incident is the ONLY dodgey incident i remember from growing up there, but an unfortunate incident nonetheless. The shopping centre has a security guy now and there are very few gangs of kids there, i think most of them stick to the green or the parks.

This is the place in wainsfort i mentioned http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/20-wainsfort-manor-grove-terenure/295300

its actually a duplex, i the newer area of wainsfort

here is a house, same asking price as most 3 beds in orwell too http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-wainsfort-manor-cresent-terenure/343824

i think you'd get a 3 bed in osprey/willington for about 315 now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I lived in the area for a year or so about three years ago (the Osprey/Willington Estates area). Personally I found it a good area; a few small shops near by, couple nice bars, the Dunnes down the road in Crumlin and a fairly decent bus route (although the 150 gets packed quickly in the morning). I never witnessed any trouble, one thign from an accomodation point of view is that the properties may be quite old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

seamus wrote: »
    Orwell has gotten a bad name from a number of high profile incidents which have occured there - primarily arguments between gangs or youths which end in a fight and someone being murdered or badly injured. Most notable was Brian Mulvaney in 2000, that was a high-profile one which ran for years.

Im sorry but this is rubbish. You cant look at one incident like the Mulvanney one and attribute that to being a bad area. That would be like saying D4 around the Burlo is a bad area after the incident there a decade or so ago. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Id have to agree with Slowmoes comments having lived in Glendown for 26 years

Incredibly, of the 17 houses for sale in Templeogue on Daft, 15 of them are in this estate/area:

http://tinyurl.com/6cusymt

It is much the same on MyHome, where I make it 27 houses for sale in Templeogue, 17 in Orwell (although of course there is considerable overlap with the Daft listings):

http://tinyurl.com/669zdft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a very nice area, but not Templeogue. There is a caché attached to Templeogue which doesn't (rightly or wrongly) extend to Osprey/Orwell due to the fact that they are historically part of Perrystown and were originally designated Dublin 12 by the Post Office.

So, OP, nice area with good amenities, schools, shops, sports clubs and park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

It's a very nice area, but not Templeogue. There is a caché attached to Templeogue which doesn't (rightly or wrongly) extend to Osprey/Orwell due to the fact that they are historically part of Perrystown and were originally designated Dublin 12 by the Post Office.

So, OP, nice area with good amenities, schools, shops, sports clubs and park.

Oh yeah, massive park. Great if you get a nice summer.

Advertisement