Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmm... The Sims 3

Options
  • 09-01-2011 7:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I got The Sims 3 for Christmas. I really don't know what I think of it. I find it a little bit overwhelming, tbh. There's SO much to do and I find I end up just doing nothing. It also seems to take ages for a romantic relationship to develop. I'm a bit disappointed by it because I'm just not as into it as I have been by the first two. Am I missing something, perhaps? Any tips on the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There is an awful lot that can be done! Relationships are a little bothersome - I know you're not supposed to ask a woman her age but it's annoying to be grinding away at the relationship level, go back to the park the next day.....and she's waiting for the grim reaper to appear at any moment :(

🤪

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That's exactly it. I spent fecking AGES trying to get into a Sims pants, watching my Sim get older and older. Eventually I used strategic cheating to get her to fall in love with her neighbour, but they had to adopt a child by that stage. It's quite irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why don't you just extend the aging of the sims, or turn it off? I always prefered to kill my sims off, rather than watch them waste away.

I'm not actually sure what advice to give. As said above, there's a hell of a lot to do in the game and most of it you jsut stumble upon. Try electrocuting yourself. It has me in hysterics every time I see it. Or try having an affair with a married man. Get married and have one of you clime the criminal career while the other climbs the law enforcement one. Be homeless and live off stuff you steal from others.

Granted, you don't want to be forking out more money if you're not 100% on the main game, but the expansions add a lot too. The Ambitions one adds new careers and lets you work some of the jobs as opposed to just letting your Sim disappear for several hours a day. The Night Life pack adds loads of social interactions, more music options, careers and has you living in a city. And the World Adventures changes the game play when you go on holiday so it's kind of like an adventure RPG type thing, where you explore places and try and find secret passages and treasure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I personally think the Sims 3 is one of the best of the franchise. Far better than Sims 2 and the knockoffs that followed it. The ability to customise so many things is great, and the expansions have been well polished and allow for more Sims addictiveness.

As humanji said, you could just turn off the ageing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

You know, I dont' mind if the sims that I'm playing age, but I hate that everyone else ages as you're playing with the active household. You never know how old anyone is! I turned off the story progression feature in my options and it didn't do anything, so I thought it was just a weird glitch. When I got the expansion packs, I thought it would be fixed . . . but nope! I'd say that's the one thing that drives me up the friggin' wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

its a pain in the butt - but i've worked around it. the biggest pain is randomly meeting someone and wanting your sim to get it on with them, but they have to go home or something. so far, once my sim meets someone and has had more than a 'friendly introduction' their name appears on their phone contact list so you can call them to chat. and once youve chatted a few times youll be able to see where they live - friends house. so the sim calls round to visit them (if they wont come to the sim yet) and once you can pin them in the one spot regularly, the relationship happens fast.

my sim lusted after a fellow lady she saw at her mams party. so i had her mam throw another party and invite the sims crush. the sim struck up a convo. so now she can ring that sim herself. visited her then and went from amorous hugging, to proposing going steady, to marriage in a few hours, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Aishae wrote: »
    visited her then and went from amorous hugging, to proposing going steady, to marriage in a few hours, lol.

It's true! Once you have them pinned down in one spot and they think you're "very alluring," you have to act on it! Strike while the iron is hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, I've started to get into the changes in TS3, compared to TS2.

Single relationship bar is something to have to get used to again, I did like Daily/Lifetime from before.

Other than that really, a vast improvement on TS2, especially the completely fluid neighbourhood. No more tedious loading times!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lost all my saved games when I changed over laptops, still need to get everything from my old hard disk onto the new computer.

Really enjoyed this when I got it. Since I started playing again it's lost it's thrill, possibly because I'm starting from scratch. I like being able to customise everything. Could never get things to fit my colour scheme when designing the house.

Laundry is the most annoying addition ever. Never buy a washing machine... :rolleyes:

Advertisement