Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling for a new build

Options
  • 09-01-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

building a new system soon thinking of

Gigabyte P67A-UD7 Intel P67 Chipset (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C8 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit
    GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 High Performance 1200W Power Supply

Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

anyone have any suggestions to a good watercooling system? (dont want anything that is cheap and might break in 6 months) also maybe somewhere that will build, dont want to put it together and switch it on and water coming out everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

There are a few places that sells kits but tbh i dont rate them that much.

As for getting it built where you buy from,you may struggle to find anywhere and cost would not be low by any means.Watercooling loops need mantainence so you would still need to learn about it so pre-built would not be my recommendation.

The main bit of advice i would give to you is to decide what components you want to cool and then start reading guides via google.I spent 1-2 months deciding and reading up before i built my loop.
    Its fairly safe once you take your time and do your research.Also you leak test with no power to the pc so if you do have a leak worst case scenario is you have to try off a component.Kitchen towels under the connections should catch any liquid anyway.

Re your parts.

You need dual channel kits for sandybridge not triple.
    The ud7 is a very pricy mobo and imo even overclocking the hell outta your cpu you wont need such a high end board.(reviews should prove that soon)

That psu is overkill unless your planing a 2nd gfx card.That unit has had issues with "coil whine" or "buzzing" on random ones so be weary of that.
    They may have fixed the issues but i would do some research on it before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Not sure if watercooling is necessary for the new sandy bridge chips. From what I have seen they can reach 5Ghz with a good air cooler (Noctua NH-D14) and still remain in the low 70s at full load. They reach voltage limits far quicker than thermal limits so I would just go with a good air cooler if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Just another note about your parts, you dont nearly need a 1200W PSU, you'd be fine on a 650W.

About the WC kits, the XSPC Rasa is probably the best kit as a stop gap between all in ones (the H-Series) and a fully blown custom loop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Think carefully about watercooling, I've been there and done that and to be quite honest, it's an awful pain in the backside. I went as far as completely cooling a motherboard with water as well as the GPU and CPU and it was all fine and dandy until the motherboard decided to give up which required completely draining and taking apart the two loops.
    You will get hardship with water and my advice would be to invest in a high quality CPU air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D14. With the right case and that cooler, your temps could almost rival some watercooled systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you're going for a CPU only loop, I wouldn't even bother with water. SB just doesn't need it. Seriously, you get 4.4GHz easy with the STOCK cooler, and that's higher than anyone really need, even to remove SLI/CF bottlenecks. If, on the other hand, you were going to cool your GPU(s) as well, then it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

If you really want to go CPU only, just get a H70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

On the H70:

I got one, its great except that I cannot use the push pull fan system due to the enormous size of it and where my side panel intake is on the case. I have a Fractal Black Pearl full size case (its freakn HUGE) so why they decided to put the side mounted intake hole over where the graphics cards sit I have no idea. Im currently running it with just an intake fan and I idle an i7 950 3.07 at 25-30 degrees. Which is pretty good. I still havnt clocked it under load. Will do it later with arma2 or DCS A10C on maxed out res.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Here's why it doesn't fit: That's not where you put the H70!

That hole is meant for an intake fan to push cold air at your cards, not for two fans and a radiator! It's supposed to go where your rear exhaust fan is, except as an intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

revised build need a good air cooler for cpu quiet as possible

Asus GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case - Black

Asus P8P67 DELUXE Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge)

Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX850 High Performance 850W Power Supply

Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

As I mentioned before, the NH-D14 is a very good cpu cooler and is very quiet. It comes with a 140mm and 120mm high quality Noctua fans but you can replace the 120mm with and 140mm like I did. Heck you can even put three 140mm fans on it and run them at low speed and get great cooling capable of 5ghz on sandy bridge no problem.

Anyway that looks like a beast of a machine but I would suggest going for a larger more modern SSD like the crucial C300 or OCZ vertex 2 maybe. You will also need some good airflow setup for the case to keep the temps down so you should consult the post that flaccus made regarding fans to make the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

changed build again seems to be alot of problems with the asus boards atm

Asus GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case - Black

Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Intel P67

Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX850 High Performance 850W Power Supply

Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit

think i will go with the Corsair Hydro H70 use it as an exhaust fan instead of bringing air into the case, just wondering will it fit on the motherboard looks like it will just need to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thats a very solid build.

I haven't used the 800D but the airflow isn't meant to be very good with stocks fans.I'd deffo say get some better fans.
    If your going to use the H70 i would have it as an intake as there is very little air getting into the case in the first place.

Just google Corsair Obsidian 800D airflow and you will get some info on the subject.

Here is an old vid on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yMF6etqAw&feature=channel

Advertisement