Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grommets

Options
  • 09-01-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My son. 14 months, had grommets put in on Friday due to ongoing infections.
    Just wondering what experience other parents had with the days after the procedure.

He seems to need calpol still, starts getting cranky after about 4 hours after taking medicene, just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

I'll prob bring him to the doc in the morn to ensure that all is ok but just interested in others experience
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I can't help with your query (sorry) but my little boy (1year) has been suffering over the past few months with a number of reoccurring ear infections. I don't know whether it will get to a stage where he needs grommets, but I was wondering how they are put in? Could it be done as an outpatient at a hospital or would he need to stay in?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=554

Hope it went ok with the doctor OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 opensesamee

My son is on his second set of grommets and its usual fro them to be cranky afterwards. After the 4 hour mark is when the dose of calpol would start to wear off. You just have to watch for discharge from the ears although there could be some reddish/brownish for a few days afterwards. This is just the ear cleaning out what is left after the operation

They really worked wonders for him he was on an antibiotic nearly every few weeks for infections and had none while the grommets were in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 opensesamee

Cottontail wrote: »
    I can't help with your query (sorry) but my little boy (1year) has been suffering over the past few months with a number of reoccurring ear infections. I don't know whether it will get to a stage where he needs grommets, but I was wondering how they are put in? Could it be done as an outpatient at a hospital or would he need to stay in?

When my son had both of his sets of grommets done they were a day surgery. Stayed in 2 hours after the first and 6 hours after the second as he also had his adenoids removed.
    The procedure is done under a general anesthetic and only takes about 30 mins! I'm not sure if they do it in children that young though. My fella was 2 and they were saying they like to wait until 3 but his infections were too severe to leave it carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Some children find the world around them noisier after grommets because their ears are unblocked. Keep the tv low and try to keep the house quiet for a few days.

My Daughter had grommets done when she was 10 months old - she was getting ear infections every second week over 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks for the replies.

All was grand at the doc, he even let me look at the Grommets :)

@ Cottontail.
    The procedure was a day case, we had to be in the hosp at 10.30 and he had the op(if you'd call it that) around half 2. he was gone for about 25 minutes. Starved and sleepy afterwards, as he was fasting beforehand.

we were left out of the hospital just after half 6, he was allowed home once he had ate, drank, met the consultant and had a wet nappy.

hope your little one gets sorted cause there is nothing worse than loading them with anti bots.

The only down side was that my GP said that at this age they could fall out within 6 weeks which means he might need them down again.

Fitzcoff

Advertisement