Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English: The Comparative

• 09-01-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Has anyone got any websites or anything that will help with the Comparative?

I'm a repeat student and I'm still absolutely useless at doing it. I'm doing Wuthering Heights, Billy Elliot and Dancing at Lughnasa.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Hi Dannnnn,

Got this from the www.skoool.ie website, its just some brief tips but might help to get you started. It says 2010, but the general points at the bottom are still relevant.

"Section II – Comparative Study

The three modes of comparison at Higher Level (2010 examination) are General Vision or Viewpoint, The Cultural Context and Theme or Issue. Two of these will appear on the paper. You are required to answer only one question in this section, and you are given a choice of two questions under each mode. The Department emphasises that the questions here are ‘mode-specific’ rather than ‘text-specific’. This means that you are not being examined here on your knowledge of each of the texts separately, but rather on your ability to compare and contrast them under the modes mentioned above. You should consider the following:

Some of the questions may not give you much scope for developing an answer on your chosen texts, so select your question very carefully.
    As with the single text, plan well, write in a structured fashion, and avoid summarising the plot.
    Identify both similarities and differences, and don’t be afraid to offer personal insight; the more you can show you have engaged with the texts the better.
    Use evidence from your texts to support your answer, making particular reference to key moments.
    Be sure to answer all elements of a question. For example, if a question asks you to deal with the role of both men and women in the texts, don’t neglect either one."

Advertisement