Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do not see these very often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Should have put a warning for o1s1n in the title;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

He doesn't seem to deliver to Ireland. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, no way, no 32X game is worth that sort of money, I mean if thats how it goes any old crap in a Sega box will be valuable, once there's only a few of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

I saw a boxed T-Mek go for £1000

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope one of the big three brings out a barely prototyped console add-on of monumental failure, something like a 360 add on that runs games off 3.5 inch floppies. I'll buy every game released for it and then retire on the sale of them on ebay 10 years down the line.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope one of the big three brings out a barely prototyped console add-on of monumental failure, something like a 360 add on that runs games off 3.5 inch floppies. I'll buy every game released for it and then retire on the sale of them on ebay 10 years down the line.

Like the HD DVD drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Warren3 wrote: »
    Like the HD DVD drive.

Beat me to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

what the hell was the sega 32x. and what era was it from are we talking commodre CD 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

what the hell was the sega 32x. and what era was it from are we talking commodre CD 32.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

My God I feel old! I remember the 32X launch!

I remember Virtua Racer was a great port on it. Back then friends and I thought the arcade version was truly next gen.

That and Cruisin' USA.

Master of the Universe

The Virtua Racing port on the 32X is brilliant alright. Same with the 32X version of Virtua Fighter. It's worth owning the console for those two games alone.

I didn't have a 32X on release but a friend did. He got it with Doom. Was extremely dissapointed and got his dad to bring it back to the shop soon after.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That and Cruisin' USA.

Yikes!

For that kind of money I'd be buying a T-Mek Cab... Loved that game and was horrified by the 32x version! Rare or not, it's rubbish! ;)

Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and Star wars arcade were the only half decent conversions. I know somones going to mention Knuckles' Chaotix but it did nothing for me.

Master of the Universe

You're also forgetting Mortal Kombat 2, AfterBurner Complete and Space Harrier. They're all great ports.

Kolibri is a good game too. Not worth the asking price either though. I foolishly let a cart only copy of that in Germany slip me by a few years ago for about €30.

Afterburner and Space Harrier were emulated on the 32x so were 'arcade perfect' and unbutchered by a development team. MKII on the other hand was a lazy port of the megadrive version that could have been so much more had they bothered to push the 32x to it's limits. It's not as bad as the saturn version mind you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kolibri is far and away the greatest hummingbird based scrolling shooter available on the 32X. No hyperbole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

it has won awards after all...
    215145833_JgKfw-L-2.jpg

LoGiE wrote: »
    Yikes!

Hah! I'm not sure if that's a sign of age or that you hated the game!

I remember the game being a big deal in the arcades. It was round the time Rare had the big N64 thing going on and this was supposed to be the next big driving game (I agree, it was trousers).

Rare did have the wonderful Killer Instinct out at the same time though so our coins went towards that, Revolution X and Rave Racer.

Ah school days! :D

Cruis'n USA was the first game to use the nintendo 64 hardware but not actually use it :)

On the attract screen it said it was using N64 hardware when it wasn't at all just like Killer Instinct :) It was the first one to do so so generated quite a buzz.

• Advertisement

Cruis'n USA was the first game to use the nintendo 64 hardware but not actually use it :)

On the attract screen it said it was using N64 hardware when it wasn't at all just like Killer Instinct :) It was the first one to do so so generated quite a buzz.

That's what I was trying to get at, I fell for the hype too haha!

Back when it was the 'Ultra 64'

Despite all the haters in this forum, I still love and play Killer Instinct to this day. I'm going to add an original cabinet to my collection when one turns up in Ireland! Crusin 'USA was not very good when you compare it to other racers of the day. I did play it quite a bit when it was in the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Okay looked it up and I remember in now. Well seeing it in shops at least. Don't know anyone who actually bought the upgrade though. Prolly why it bombed.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Back when it was the 'Ultra 64'

Despite all the haters in this forum, I still love and play Killer Instinct to this day. I'm going to add an original cabinet to my collection when one turns up in Ireland! Crusin 'USA was not very good when you compare it to other racers of the day. I did play it quite a bit when it was in the airport.

Killer Instinct is an awesome game it came just at the right time to revive the arcade fighting game scene with its frenetic gameplay and amazing combos it was a breath of fresh air for me. ULTRA COMBO!!!!!!!!!:D

Killer Instinct didn't revive any arcade fighting scene. It came out during a time when fighting games were ruling the arcades and was a bit of a cash in on the scene at the time.

Killer Instinct didn't revive any arcade fighting scene. It came out during a time when fighting games were ruling the arcades and was a bit of a cash in on the scene at the time.

Well maybe the crazy arcades up in Balbriggan were flush with fighting games but in the real world where I come from it came at just the right time to revive a flagging scene which was awash with mediocre titles. It was a breath of fresh air to the scene with quick, fun gameplay and excellent graphics

Well as far as I can remember it the arcades at the time were flush with NeoGeo, CPS2 and Namco and Sega 3D fighters.

Well as far as I can remember it the arcades at the time were flush with NeoGeo, CPS2 and Namco and Sega 3D fighters.

In the arcades I went to there was mainly SFII and Virtua Fighter cabs so KI was a great addition to it, after a while there were some art of fighting and other SNK / NeoGeo fighters which were also good.

Master of the Universe

We really were spoiled back then weren't we? Shame we didn't really know it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mid 90's arcades?
    I seem to remember lots of fighting games, Capcoms Vs series, Namco with the Tekken games, Sega with the VF games and Fighting Vipers, they were all out in those days.
    I don't remember KI being great at anything in particular, it never tempted me in the arcade at all.
    Crusin USA a played a bit of though, not that it was any good mind you, but it was easy to make your few bob last on it. Nowhere near Sega or Namco though

Master of the Universe

The arcades I was in during the early to mid 90s on Bray seafront still had a lot of great late 80s machines left too. Dawsons was hanging on to things like their sit down Super Thunder Blade/After Burner etc.

It seemed like they were all culled suddenly with the takeover of 3D gaming. If I was to go back now you'd wet yourself!

Hah! I just googled that sit down Super Thunder Blade. It's hilarious, my memory is of the seat being really high up in the air. I must have been tiny at the time. Maybe they only had it up until 90/91.

cabinet.jpg

I never realised that all the backgrounds and characters were prerenders in Killer Instinct when I was younger. Thought it was the amazing power of the Ultra 64 that was generating all those polygons. Looking at the game now you can see the hardware can barely do 3D and it's got some horrible textrue warping problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

The end was nigh for arcade machines in the 90s,home computers became more powerful and cheaper,we where promised arcade perfect ports and some cases we got close to them,along with cost of maintain arcade machine and parts obsolete,it was going to end.

Lets look at galaxy force 2 with its cab
    118124211049.jpg

Years later the game was ported to the saturn on sega ages release,jap release,fantastic scaling -

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah! I just googled that sit down Super Thunder Blade. It's hilarious, my memory is of the seat being really high up in the air. I must have been tiny at the time. Maybe they only had it up until 90/91.

cabinet.jpg

I used to love going to Bray and playing Super Thunder Blade, I just thought the cab was the best thing ever. I was crap at it though and could only ever get to the second level:(

The most popular fighting games in my local arcade were VF2, MK2 and Killer Instinct. They were all released in 94 and SF2 CE / SSF2 had been around about a year or two so this was pretty much a new wave of games. Tekken never really got a look in but I put plenty of coin in when i was in Dublin.... Soul Edge was better anyway:)

I didn't get into fatal fury/SSD et al till much later. The less said about taito fighters the better....

• Advertisement
Advertisement