Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noc - Horror Movie Suggestions?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Morning all!
    The darkness has arisen once again, and it's coldness embraces my spirit, and revives my soul - sweet serenity!

While on my solo promenade last night, I began to think of memberable Noc movies. This both entertained me, and saddened me at the same time!?
    While I whole heartedly enjoy the buzz of a good horror movie, alas, the genre went through an abysmal couple of years, to the point that I have all but given up on it.

However, perhaps I am being too critical, and perhaps some gems have slipped past my attention?

I would be extremely grateful if you would share your (horror) movie favourites with me.
    Old or new, it doesn't matter - however, I really don't want any parodies or comical movies. No "Zombieland" or "Shaun Of The Dead" suggestions. :o

Lastly, I fully embrace the concept of individual fears! What frightens one, may not frighten another; so all suggestions will be welcomed.

Must Watch List:

01) Ginger Snaps.
    02) Dog Soldiers.
    03) Pan's Labyrinth
    04) Let The Right One In
    05) The Devil's Backbone
    06) Inside
    07) A Tale of Two Sisters
    08) Thirst
    09) Audition
    10) Shutter
    11) [REC]
    12) Ring
    13) The Orphanage
    14) The Host
    15) Cronos
    16) Dawn Of The Dead
    17) Day Of The Dead
    18) Land Of The Dead
    19) Ju-on - Original The Grudge
    20) The Mist
    21) The Thing
    22) The Strangers
    23) Night Of The Living Dead
    24) Silent Hill
    25) Slither
    26) Cloverfield
    27) Paranormal Activity
    28) Halloween
    29) The Fog
    30) Prince Of Darkness
    31) Arachnophobia
    32) 30 Days Of Night
    33) The Evil Dead
    34) The Evil Dead II
    35) The Evil Dead III
    36) The Devil's Rejects
    37) A Nightmare On Elm Street
    38) Friday The 13th
    39) Braindead
    40) IT
    41) Jaws
    42) Alien
    43) The Haunting - 1960's version
    44) 28 Days Later
    45) Saw
    46) Hellraiser
    47) The Shining
    48) The Howling

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Although I don't think it's really scary, Ginger snaps is a clever film on a couple of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

... Ginger snaps ...

I vaguely recall hearing about this movie before. Is it part of a series of movies?
    Thank you for the suggestion, I shall add it to my "must watch" list.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

mrmac wrote: »
    I vaguely recall hearing about this movie before. Is it part of a series of movies?
    Thank you for the suggestion, I shall add it to my "must watch" list.

It's the first in a series but the first one plays on feminist issues and the stereotypical coming of age story which are a common trope of horror films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

If you're going for Ginger Snaps then Dog Soldiers is another one to throw in there. Werewolves in rural Scotland catch a bunch of squaddies on maneuvers. Cue a survival tale in the classic "if we can only hold out til morning" style, with clever werewolves and non-Hollywood soldiers.

Yeah, Ginger Snaps has a few movies in the series. I think one is about a crazy girl who feeds people to the werewolf in her basement and then there's another one set in ye olde pioneer times in America with the two sisters. It's more of the "under siege by werewolves" type action.

Excellent!!
    So far, I haven't seen any of these suggestions.
    Added to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

yay horror movies! :D

I have to admit I get scared very, very easily but I still love a good horror movie.

Pan's Labyrinth
    Let The Right One In
    The Devil's Backbone
    Inside
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Thirst
    Audition

enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Go Asian, Go Shutter.

Orizio wrote: »
    Go Asian, Go Shutter.

I has that too! :D very, VERY scary film! :eek:

and I forgot, [Rec]

I think its fair to say Links knows her stuff. I approve of her list, most of which I have seen, and will check out the stuff I haven't.

'Pans Labyrinth' isn't really scary however. Ditto for 'Let The Right One In'. Cracking films nonetheless.

Orizio wrote: »
    I think its fair to say Links knows her stuff. I approve of her list, most of which I have seen, and will check out the stuff I haven't.

'Pans Labyrinth' isn't really scary however. Ditto for 'Let The Right One In'. Cracking films nonetheless.

Let the right one in isn't really scary, but I think there's moments of Pan's Labyrinth I found terrifying!
    the pale man! :eek:

• Advertisement

Asian Horror movies are brilliant! Some absolutely freaky stuff - love it!
    I have no problem with such suggestions, as I love movies that "creep me out",
    as opposed to pure "gorefest" just for the sake of it. There is a time and place for gore, which can really add to a movie, if executed correctly.

/listed amended.

I'm on a roll! :D

Ring (can't believe I forgot this one!)
    The Orphanage
    The Host

Moments of Pan's Labyrinth really freaked me out too. It's all about the design really. Freaky.

I'd put Pan's Labyrinth in the same bracket as The Orphanage and The Others, they are scary in parts but nothing you'd lose sleep over and are good in their own right.

Dog Soliders is class.

There's a good Korean movie called 'The Host', not exactly a horror film. It'd be similar enough to Cloverfield...in that there's a big monster terrorising a city.

Paranormal Activity and [REC] are good for some tense moments.

Could always hit some John Carpenter stuff: Halloween, The Fog, They Live, Prince of Darkness and The Thing.

Arachnophobia too, if you're scared of spiders...

Links234 wrote: »

The Orphanage
    The Host

I've actually seen those, and must agree with their recommendation!
    It has been awhile since I watched these; added to the list!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

If you're going to include Del Toro films on the list it would have to be The Orphanage and Cronos. The Devil's Backbone is a great film too but Links has rightly mentioned it already. Pan's Labyrinth couldn't really be labelled as horror despite it being a fantastic film.

For zombie horror I'd recommend Romero's trilogy, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead.

Edit: I forgot Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead! And the obvious classic, Night of the Living Dead!

Any of the more recent rubbish American remakes of Japanese horror films, such as The Ring, The Grudge, Shutter, etc. should be avoided at all costs but definitely check out the Japanese originals. Japan does great horror.

The Orphanage
    The Host

Gah Links! I didn't see you'd mention the bottom two :mad:

What about The Grudge? I saw that one in the cinema with a wicked hangover, made me jump a few times.

Just thought of a few more. The Mist, The Thing and The Strangers. :)

For zombie horror I'd recommend Romero's trilogy, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead.

FC is here! FC is here!

Is Land of the Dead the most recent one where there's a smart zombie and they attack this stronghold? Interesting enough, but certainly not one of his classics.

For zombies I quite enjoyed one where they were all stuck in a house with zombies attacking it... what's it called? Night of the Living Dead perhaps? I know it starts with a couple driving in a car past all these graves.

Actually, quite a freaky aul film is "Silent Hill". I know it's not the game, but it's pretty freakin' weird and the effects are fantastic. Some bits would weird anybody out.

Gah Links! I didn't see you'd mention the bottom two :mad:

What about The Grudge? I saw that one in the cinema with a wicked hangover, made me jump a few times.

:p

The Grudge was ok, it's not a bad film, but it's just like a series of scary scenes, not a great story or anything.

• Advertisement

If you're going to include Del Toro films .... Cronos ...

Never heard of Cronos! :o
    GOOD zombie movies are always welcome!

/list amended.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Actually, quite a freaky aul film is "Silent Hill". I know it's not the game, but it's pretty freakin' weird and the effects are fantastic. Some bits would weird anybody out.

I thought that was a good one alright.

Return of the Living Dead is a good zombie flick, silly but good.

Just thought of a few more. The Mist, The Thing and The Strangers. :)

Loved the mist and the thing was a classic, but the strangers? I thought that was really bad :o

did you hear about the new the thing?

FC is here! FC is here!

Is Land of the Dead the most recent one where there's a smart zombie and they attack this stronghold? Interesting enough, but certainly not one of his classics.

For zombies I quite enjoyed one where they were all stuck in a house with zombies attacking it... what's it called? Night of the Living Dead perhaps? I know it starts with a couple driving in a car past all these graves.

That's the one alright. You're right, not his best film. Was significantly lacking in any proper scary moments but I enjoyed it none the less. :pac:

Asian Horror movies are brilliant! Some absolutely freaky stuff - love it!
    I have no problem with such suggestions, as I love movies that "creep me out",
    as opposed to pure "gorefest" just for the sake of it. There is a time and place for gore, which can really add to a movie, if executed correctly.

/listed amended.

Asian tends to be best, and then European. American horror films, in my experience, aren't really scary, although 'The Mist' and 'Slither' are rather good.

Never heard of Cronos! :o
    GOOD zombie movies are always welcome!

/list amended.

Romero is basically the father/king of the zombie horror genre. :)

Cronos is an interesting take on the vampire movie by Del Toro. You have to be kind when you watch it as it was made in the 80s and some of the effects haven't aged well.

I might be on my own here, but I didn't really like Cronos. :(

it was a great idea, but I dunno, it didn't really grab me

did you hear about the new the thing?

Why Links why?! They're gonna hurt it! :(

I'm delighted with the suggestions to date, thank you everyone!
    The list currently has 25 entries.

I'd like to suggest we let this run for a few weeks, and then we could have a vote for the top 20? This would allow some of us to get a chance to see some of the recommendations?

For now, please keep the suggestions coming, as I'm thrilled to have so many movies that I haven't seen!

• Advertisement

Why Links why?! They're gonna hurt it! :(

just like the do with everything else.

just like they did with indy :(

indy_southpark_2_2.jpg

Advertisement