Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noc - Horror Movie Suggestions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Must root out Dog Soldiers again, have the DVD sitting at home but haven't watched it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

All I can think of now is sci-fi scary. Damn.

Oh, 30 Days of Night is quite good. When I first saw it I loved it, but on a 3rd viewing I'm not toooo sure. Vampires descend on an Alaskan town that has a whole month of night. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Evil Dead, Evil Dead II and Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness are essential. Especially the first two.

EDIT: Another I loved was The Devil's Rejects.

EDIT II: Braindead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

... Cloverfield
    ... Paranormal Activity

... John Carpenter stuff: Halloween, The Fog, They Live, Prince of Darkness and The Thing.

Arachnophobia too, if you're scared of spiders...

Sorry, missed this post earlier. :o

Excellent point Jako!

Now my mind is shifted into cabin/woods/scary mode. With the amount of brainwrecking I'm doing here, ugh, I'd nearly be quicker writing the horror movie.

Friday 13th
    Nightmare on Elmstreet
    Halloween
    IT

pretty standard four above.

• Advertisement

Fewcifur wrote: »
    All I can think of now is sci-fi scary. Damn.

Sci-Fi scary.......

I don't have a problem with that! :cool:

We've already accepted The Mist, The Thing, Cloverfield etc - so post 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Fewcifur, did I say you were allowed to post outside of Blackout Rugby?

Back in your box yo.

Orizio wrote: »
    Fewcifur, did I say you were allowed to post outside of Blackout Rugby?

Back in your box yo.

I think you'll find you're stomping on my turf now Orizio :cool:

We accepted Cloverfield? Gah!? That'll surely be the first kicked off the island.

If we indulge in sci-fi horror then we're going to end up rehashing everything when we do a sci-fi thread (myself and Links are waiting in the wings for that one! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Links234 wrote: »
    Loved the mist and the thing was a classic, but the strangers? I thought that was really bad :o

did you hear about the new the thing?

No! Why do they insist on remaking every decent film?

I found The Strangers quite disturbing really. Was quite scared whereas usually I'm more in 'shoot it in the face! :D' mode when I watch horror films.

We accepted Cloverfield? Gah!? That'll surely be the first kicked off the island.

Awful, AWFUL film.

• Advertisement

Shall we remove Cloverfield???

I admit to not having seen the movie, so what say ye, Fewcifur and Futurecrook???

You're not missing out on anything by not having seen it. Maybe just make everything else on the list a preference first? :P

This is all you need to know... lord I'm startled.

I tell you, watch the Pandemic double episode of South Park and you just won't be able to take Cloverfield seriously.

Let's leave it in, for now, and see how it fairs in the vote?

Here are a few oldies, yet remain a constant source of entertainment.

Jaws - you may laugh now, but I seen this movie when it was first released! Kept me outta the ocean for years!
    Alien
    The Haunting - 1960's version
    28 Days Later
    Saw
    Hellraiser
    The Howling
    The Shining

The Grudge - is that a remake of an Asian horror movie?
    Just reading about it, and I know I've seen this before, but not in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

mrmac wrote: »
    The Grudge - is that a remake of an Asian horror movie?
    Just reading about it, and I know I've seen this before, but not in English.

the one I'm talking about is the original one, I don't watch remakes

The Shining is easily one of the best horror films ever made!

the one I'm talking about is the original one, I don't watch remakes

Forgive my impudence, but I believe someone else suggested The Grudge, and upon flexing the power of Google, have found this result: Ju-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

mrmac wrote: »
    Forgive my impudence, but I believe someone else suggested The Grudge, and upon flexing the power of Google, have found this result: Ju-on.

oh yeah, that's the one I mean

I automatically think of the original ones when people mention movies though. generally speaking, original > remake.

generally speaking, original > remake.

I have not seen The Grudge, but was spell bound by Ju-on!
    Glued to the seat, couldn't turn away - freaked me out of my skin!
    Bless these creepy Japanese masterpieces.

• Advertisement

The Shining is easily one of the best horror films ever made!

Redrum ..... redrum ..... redrum!

Simple, yet powerfull.

Edit: 'Tis just past 4am, I must depart, until the darkness falls again .....

“Farewell and adieu to you,
    Fair Spanish Ladies,
    Farewell and adieu to you,
    Ladies of Spain.”

:D

I have managed to arrange a double-bill of movie pleasure, for tonight!

Dog Soldiers & Cronos.

The brandy has been placed in the fridge, suitable snacks have been purchased, and all concerned have been informed of my booking the sitting room from 10pm!

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

The Omega Man
    Pathfinder

The Omega Man
    Pathfinder

Not wishing to call into question your reasoning, but I'm interested to hear how these would be classified in the "Horror" genre?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Omega Man is based on I Am Legend by Richard Matheson and Pathfinder just has some seriously disturbing imagery in it.

Here's a horror movie I made around this time last year...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/The-Glencree-Incident/297727572639

Here's a horror movie I made around this time last year...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/The-Glencree-Incident/297727572639

This seems genuinely quite good Fewcifur, but you'll never get anywhere casting these South Dubliners with their god awful American accents. ;)

This seems genuinely quite good Fewcifur, but you'll never get anywhere casting these South Dubliners with their god awful American accents. ;)

Some bits later on are hilarious because of it! I found myself in a house with two girls and said "Why don't we make a movie?" ... I probably regret settling for a horror movie :p

BTW, I think you should sue John Boorman, he quite clearly stole the idea for Deliverance from your short movie.

• Advertisement

BTW, I think you should sue John Boorman, he quite clearly stole the idea for Deliverance from your short movie.

The basics perhaps, but he had a completely different setting, characters, bad guys, setup, budget... so, I'll probably let him away with it :D

Advertisement