Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noc - Horror Movie Suggestions?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Horror movies you say?While there are some very good suggestions here most of them would be in the safer,more mainstream flicks.Ive been watching and collecting horror movies for as long as I can remember and as Ive watched my tastes have developed into watching movies from the darker recesses of the human pysche.Id firstly recommend some of the 80s slasher or zombie films.Lucio Fulci should definitly be part of this.What Id recommend of his would be Zombie Flesh Eaters,The Beyond,City of The Living Dead and The New York Ripper.You should also check out Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox but be warned,both feature real animal killings,particularly Holocaust which features a genuinely upsetting scene where a giant turtle gets slaughtered,it is an exceptional social commentary movie about the exploitation of indigenous peoples by the makers of "mondo" movies like Mondo Cane or Goodbye Uncle Tom.Of the 70s and 80s slashers Id recommend Maniac,The Prowler,Last House on The Left or House on The Edge of The Park.When it comes to Asian horror some of the older "category 3" horrors like Shoguns Sadism,The Ebola Syndrome,Evil Dead Trap or the Guinea Pig series of movies.For more modern Japanese body horror try Mu Zan E,Red Room 1 + 2 ,School Girls in Cement or All Night Long volume 1 to 3.There have been some exceptional underground European horrors over the last number of years such as Nekromantik,Aftermath,The Abandoned,Marian Dora's Cannibal,Frontiers,Le Horde or Martyrs.For American horror Id recommend the August Underground Trilogy,Murder Set Pieces,The Redsin Tower,Fetus,Bone Sickness,Hanger,Torched, Sella Turcica or Gutterballs.One thing with alot of these films is that they arent readily available in regular stores so online like ebay would prolly be your best bet.Happy viewing! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Wow, I think I've seen none of those movies. You're right though, the mere idea of slaughtering a sea-turtle is a bit unsettling... they live longer than humans.. that's a whole lotta life to wipe out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

wow that was kinda hard to read nedtheshed :o

Out of the ones you mentioned, I have seen is some of the Lucio Fulci ones, Last House on the Left, Le Horde (sucked awful!) and Martyrs

Martyrs was the best of the lot by far, it's brilliant.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Wow, I think I've seen none of those movies. You're right though, the mere idea of slaughtering a sea-turtle is a bit unsettling... they live longer than humans.. that's a whole lotta life to wipe out :(
    There are versions of the movie available that are heavily edited (by 8 and a half minutes or so,all animal cruelty removed) however Ive never watched them or will I ever watch them.The sad thing is that particular scene has pretty much become the focal point of the entire which does it a massive disservice.It arguably influenced Blair Witch and all the hand held type movies.When the film was released in Italy the maker,Ruggero Deodata got the 3 main stars to go into hiding.He ended up in court on obscenity charges and had to get the actors to appear in court to prove they wernt really killed.Its a pity that the film will be ignored by so many people because of the animal killings.It is a brilliant movie that any self respecting horror fan should see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I have actually watched about 1/3 of those movies, and agree that a lot of the "older" movies are quite wonderful in their mastery of suspense & shear terror! However, some of those movies portray violence & gore as the only shock factor, and for me, that's not the correct way to tell a story!

For example, (forgive me if I get this wrong, it's been a few years), the movie August Underground Mordum (please do not google this if you are even slightly squeemish!), was OTT with the gore factor. So much so, that I was left wondering what was the point!?

Like I say, I prefer an even balance of suspense, utter tension, as well as violence & gore. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Must say I'm not a fan of the overly gory movies... they're not scary, they're generally just sub-par specially effects used way too much for shock value but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I kinda like some of the older gory movies, especially some of the italian ones. I've not seen many, but they had a lot of charm that we don't see any more. they were really cheesy, the special effects were awful, but they could be really scary! there was a part in the beyond that nearly made my heart stop! I won't spoil it if anyone wants to see it

but you know what the best thing about those old movies was? the music :)

horror movies todays don't have that kinda music!

mrmac wrote: »
    I have actually watched about 1/3 of those movies, and agree that a lot of the "older" movies are quite wonderful in their mastery of suspense & shear terror! However, some of those movies portray violence & gore as the only shock factor, and for me, that's not the correct way to tell a story!

For example, (forgive me if I get this wrong, it's been a few years), the movie August Underground Mordum (please do not google this if you are even slightly squeemish!), was OTT with the gore factor. So much so, that I was left wondering what was the point!?

Like I say, I prefer an even balance of suspense, utter tension, as well as violence & gore. :cool:

Mordum is the second part in the August Underground trilogy and it is by far the goriest entry.Ive chatted with the director and a couple of the cast members a few times and what they wanted to do was make the vilest movie ever committed to celluloid which in my humble opinion,they did.The first in the series,August Underground however is my favourite of all 3.It is a very graphic and deeply effecting movie and Id be hard pressed to name a movie that had as big an effect on me.For example,I watched A Serbian Film recently.Now it is an extreme movie and in some respects is more graphic than the August Underground movies mainly because it is shot in total clarity where as the premise of the AU movies is that it is found footage so is kinda grainy,badly shot in places etc.I have the "snuff" editions of the August Underground trilogy (limited to 1000 pieces and signed by the cast and crew) as well as the standard release of Mordum.This year is the 10th anniversary of the original film so the company is releasing a boxset with all 3 movies as well as crap loads of extras,fan submissions,artwork etc,I cant frickin wait!

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Must say I'm not a fan of the overly gory movies... they're not scary, they're generally just sub-par specially effects used way too much for shock value but meh.

I love gore movies,the sicker the better,I want to be shocked,disgusted and repulsed when I watch a gore movie.I do however appreciate the more subtle,less gory horror movies too.The Poughkeepsie Tapes for example is a super mocumentary based on the notion that police found hundreds of tapes shot by a serial killer as he went about his business.There are some seriously freaky moments and it is interspersed with interviews with police,victims familys etc.Very clever and very subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I would add Lucio Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters to the zombie movie list ;)

Peter Jacksons Braindead is also definetly worth a watch, so much gore! It's funny as well :)

Hmm don't know what else to add to the list, perhaps An American Werewolf In London/Paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Love a good horror :D Having watched the original exorcist at 3 in the morning alone, I ran to the bathroom after and ran back to bed. :(

It's quite new and a bit lame, but for some reason White Noise made me jump.

Also, in quite the opposite of what yer lookin for, don't ever watch The Hills Have Eyes! >.< Disgusting and tasteless, and I've seen Ted Bundy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Love a good horror :D Having watched the original exorcist at 3 in the morning alone, I ran to the bathroom after and ran back to bed. :(

It's quite new and a bit lame, but for some reason White Noise made me jump.

Also, in quite the opposite of what yer lookin for, don't ever watch The Hills Have Eyes! >.< Disgusting and tasteless, and I've seen Ted Bundy.

White Noise would have been an okay film if it wasn't for the ricidulous ending. It definitely had it's 'make you jump' moments.

First time I watched The Exorcist I laughed. I've never found it scary and thus have never understood the big deal everyone makes about it. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I went for a first date with girl to the exorcist.

Should have known how that one was going to end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

@ nedtheshed - Thanks for the background info., the fact that the crew went out of their way to make an OTT movie, now, helps me to understand it! I agree, that the first AU is a complete shocker, but in a gut twisting manner, more than a gut wrenching! It messes with your head, and reality possibilities, which is probably, the scariest concept of all!

TBH - after years of watching "horror", my tastes have tamed noticeably these last 7 / 8 years. I find the closer the sense of "reality" the more un-nerving it becomes, and that no longer appeals. Shock factor, intense suspense and a decent story, but not really "real", suits me fine. :o

I shall keep an eye open for "The Poughkeepsie Tapes", thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

13 Ghosts....so bad it's good!;)

Advertisement