Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's Ryan Babel faces FA probe for Twitter blast at Howard Webb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

lordgoat wrote: »
    Well if he did it in a public forum named you and questioned your ability to do your job well, then ya you could.

I don't think questioning his ability to do his job would count as defamation.

If it ever went to court all Babel would have to do would be to show a video of the penalty decision, and any court in the world would agree that Webb cannot do his job well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Can't wait for the next time Babel dives to get a penalty. Hope Webb is the ref and he gives him the line.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Mister men wrote: »
    He's spot on. Webb is as corrupt as they come.
    Wrong forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Can't understand why the "Maud Flanders birgade" as Chucky put it are so up in arms over this.

Can just imagine Adox and the likes:

"What's this? Defamatory comments?! Not in my sport. Quick everyone, to the Internet!"

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

#15 wrote: »

But that isn't the completely factual statements forum?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Can't wait for the next time Babel dives to get a penalty. Hope Webb is the ref and he gives him the line.:pac:

That would require Ryan Babel to be in the opposition's penalty area with possession of the football, which is a highly unplausible scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

srfc19 wrote: »
    But that isn't the completely factual statements forum?

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The penalty tonight was debatable, the sending off was a no brainer but after that liverpool got a lot of decisions. Kelly's tackle on evra was close, also shelvey's on giggs(i thought both were penalties until i saws the replays) Evans got pulled down by skyrtel, there were a few fouls on united players that were played on, fletcher and anderson saw yellow for nothing tackles. If anything united got 1 decision and about 10 against.Biased:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

adox wrote: »
    But they went further than saying they thought he was **** at his job.
    Posting pictures of him with a United jersey on straight after the match and the ****e that Dalgliis jar spouted. I'm sure he could sue for defamation of character or something similar.

Also lol at the comments that Babel was only being honest. Do you really think he thinks Webb goes out of his way to favour United, when he thinks about it in the cold light of day.

He acted like a child having a tantrum who couldn't keep his emotions in check. Bringing the game into disrepute IMO.

How could he sue for defamation of character? If that sort off thing was to make it to court, the courts would be clogged up for years with all sorts of defamation suits

Also, about Babel only being honest, the point was he was being honest in his opinion. Would you prefer the usual cliches to be trotted out, ''these things even themselves up over the course of a season'' etc

These sort off outbursts are a refreshing change from the usual PC sh!te trotted by everyman and his dog each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can't understand why the "Maud Flanders birgade" as Chucky put it are so up in arms over this.

Can just imagine Adox and the likes:

"What's this? Defamatory comments?! Not in my sport. Quick everyone, to the Internet!"

I can't understand why the Howard Webb is corrupt brigade were so up in arms earlier on the match thread when he gave that peno. He was only acting according to type by their deluded conspiracy theory reckoning.

I can't understand why the Howard Webb is corrupt brigade were so up in arms earlier on the match thread when he gave that peno. He was only acting according to type by their deluded conspiracy theory reckoning.

I find it hard to believe you can't understand the anger of fans that lost an important match to a controversial goal.
    Being morally outraged by twitter comments is another bag of jelly beans all together

tommyhaas wrote: »

These sort off outbursts are a refreshing change from the usual PC sh!te trotted by everyman and his dog each week.

But it doesn't have to be one or the other. He went way over the top when posting that picture.

The fact that I hold that view doesn't necessarily follow that I hold "the usual PC ****e" views either.

+1

I find it hard to believe you can't understand the anger of fans that lost an important match to a controversial goal.
    Being morally outraged by twitter comments is another bag of jelly beans all together

Look it was a retort to your reply, but with some truth to it too. Of course I can understand Liverpool fans being upset losing to what was a controversial penalty. Having said that, I was aiming that post at plenty some Liverpool supporters posting on here saying that Webb is corrupt etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The Muppet wrote: »
    I didn't say that at all, but you know that , hence no quotes.

You intrepreted the picture the same as I did and I'd imagine the same as The FA will.

Have a good night.

Here's the quote from yourself.

"A player publically accusing a ref of being corrupt is not a smart move. He'll be in big trouble over that, they'll want to stamp that nonsense out straight away. They'll make an example of Mr Babel for sure"

Once again Muppet where did Babel accuse Webb of being corrupt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But they went further than saying they thought he was **** at his job.
    Posting pictures of him with a United jersey on straight after the match and the ****e that Dalgliis jar spouted. I'm sure he could sue for defamation of character or something similar.

Also lol at the comments that Babel was only being honest. Do you really think he thinks Webb goes out of his way to favour United, when he thinks about it in the cold light of day.

He acted like a child having a tantrum who couldn't keep his emotions in check. Bringing the game into disrepute IMO.

Then he should look for the person who first created the image as its been online for a while today is not the 1st day its been seen

What? So should you be annoyed if someone burgles your house? I mean after all, the burgler is only acting according to type
    But it doesn't have to be one or the other. He went way over the top when posting that picture.

The fact that I hold that view doesn't necessarily follow that I hold "the usual PC ****e" views either.

Yes and Babel may have another view. He is entitled to tweet what he wants, and regardless of whether it's right or wrong, it's opinion and he is entitled to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You said BABEL said Webb was corrupt.
    Here's the quote from yourself.

"A player publically accusing a ref of being corrupt is not a smart move. He'll be in big trouble over that, they'll want to stamp that nonsense out straight away. They'll make an example of Mr Babel for sure"

Once again Muppet where did Babel accuse Webb of being corrupt?

Theres no quote from Babel in that post . Will you quote where I said what you say I said, If not, Why are you making up things and accusing me of saying them?

Then he should look for the person who first created the image as its been online for a while today is not the 1st day its been seen

Spurs fans made it after the 5-2 defeat at OT a few seasons back. Spurs were 2-0, Carrick ran in to the box, Gomes won the ball yet Webb blew for a penalty and Spurs fans blamed Webb for the 5-2 defeat.

Although don't tell BERBA coz he thinks only Liverpool fans blame referees

What? So should you be annoyed if someone burgles your house? I mean after all, the burgler is only acting according to type

Well if I knew a burgler was in my house for 90 minutes Id expect something to be knicked.
    Yes and Babel may have another view. He is entitled to tweet what he wants, and regardless of whether it's right or wrong, it's opinion and he is entitled to that

And face the consequences for his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So who'll be making the thread next time Liverpool get a decision in their favour?

Liam O wrote: »
    So who'll be making the thread next time Liverpool get a decision in their favour?

Or the next time one goes against Man U

Spurs fans made it after the 5-2 defeat at OT a few seasons back. Spurs were 2-0, Carrick ran in to the box, Gomes won the ball yet Webb blew for a penalty and Spurs fans blamed Webb for the 5-2 defeat.

Although don't tell BERBA coz he thinks only Liverpool fans blame referees

They always get done up there
    carroll0xf.png

Hope Roy Carroll wont sue over this now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Every team gets bad decisions- united got knocked out of cl last season with a joke sending off, chelsea got a blatently offside goal to decide the league last year, liverpool won the cl in 2005 with a debatable penalty, the list goes on.

If a ref is accused of bias by players and managers after every game, they won't do the job. How is webb supposed to decide if babel dived or if its a penalty after his outburst. I'd love to see video brought in

Where is there a pic of a ref in a shirt other than Man U? Now I don't know whether Webb is compromised or not, and I don't think his decisions today were all in favour of one side, but there is an old saying regarding smoke and fire.

In Italy Juventus were always alleged to have the ref in their pocket, and the familiar defences "you can't concede a penalty if you are in the opposition half for most of the game", "Of course we get more penalties, we are attacking more" and the like were trotted out.

We all know how that panned out, and ironically some of the greatest schadenfreude was exhibited by the group of fans here defending Webb.

This nice piece of satire appeared in timely fashion and illustrates nicely the commonly held belief among the public that some clubs are favoured by officialdom. Well, in this case, one in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ah here, this Webb is corrupt nonsense is just....well, nonsense.

He's not corrupt. He's just sh!t.

monkey9 wrote: »

At last something back in the realms of reality.

Where is there a pic of a ref in a shirt other than Man U? Now I don't know whether Webb is compromised or not, and I don't think his decisions today were all in favour of one side, but there is an old saying regarding smoke and fire.

In Italy Juventus were always alleged to have the ref in their pocket, and the familiar defences "you can't concede a penalty if you are in the opposition half for most of the game", "Of course we get more penalties, we are attacking more" and the like were trotted out.

We all know how that panned out, and ironically some of the greatest schadenfreude was exhibited by the group of fans here defending Webb.

This nice piece of satire appeared in timely fashion and illustrates nicely the commonly held belief among the public that some clubs are favoured by officialdom. Well, in this case, one in particular.

That article was posted on the 31th of December for anyone thinking it was a reaction after todays game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The infrastructure of EPL football is set up so that big teams get the big decisions their way, especially at home.

A dog with a hammer up his *rse knows that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A professional footballer is not entitled to tweet what he wants (nor is anybody for that matter). Can you not see how a player at a major team tweeting a picture of referee in a photo shopped picture wearing the jersey of a major rival is wrong? Can you not see how that is bringing the game into disrepute?

Also on a general point, where were the Webb is biased towards United brigade when he has sent off United players or given decisions against them? A few high profile decisions hardly makes him biased. That people even have to spell out something as blatantly obvious as that is ridiculous. 50/50 calls happen in football. Throwing the rattle out of the pram when one goes against you is a little much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

He's spot on. Webb is as corrupt as they come.
    I hate man u but berbatovs legs were clipped.Peno. Gerrard was reckless.Stupid tackle.Had to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

markesmith wrote: »
    The infrastructure of EPL football is set up so that big teams get the big decisions their way, especially at home.

A dog with a hammer up his *rse knows that

I honestly dont know if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you're serious, would yeh elaborate please?

A professional footballer is not entitled to tweet what he wants (nor is anybody for that matter). Can you not see how a player at a major team tweeting a picture of referee in a photo shopped picture wearing the jersey of a major rival is wrong? Can you not see how that is bringing the game into disrepute?

Howard Webb instructing Blackpool players to dive more often is more disruptive than Babel letting off some steam on his social network page.
    Yet Babel will get the hefty fine, Webb will get to officiate all the high profile Premier League games.

Fair play to Babbel its about time a big deal was made out of webb's major bias towards united maybe all the publicity from this might make him think twice the next time is about to rule in favour of his beloved united.

LOL @ the people who think he is not completely biased, you dont see mock ups of any other refs in united jerseys or hear fans constantly pointing out the continued favoritism of other refs towards united so there is obviously cause for it

Also on a general point, where were the Webb is biased towards United brigade when he has sent off United players or given decisions against them? A few high profile decisions hardly makes him biased. That people even have to spell out something as blatantly obvious as that is ridiculous. 50/50 calls happen in football. Throwing the rattle out of the pram when one goes against you is a little much.

Firstly, I think Webb had a poor game, not that he's biased or corrupt. I do however think that refs can be intimedated at Old Trafford. Im not saying everything will go Utds way, just that they can have an advantage where there is a tight decision. This however largly applies to home teams everywhere

Wrt Babel and the picture, Im not holding Babel up as any kind of Martyr, just stating I admire that fact he had the balls to come out and be honest in his opinion. Yes maybe he took things too far with the picture, but his reaction to the decisions after the game is typical of many fans reactions, and I believe he deserves credit for being honest

I think the picture itself however was tounge in cheek. Babel dosent strike me as the smartest, so I dont believe it was his way of implying corruption with out stating it, meerly it was a picture he found funny which suited the topic

Bring the game int disrepute? Yea I can see there's a case to be made alright, however I dont believe there should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

monkey9 wrote: »

Penalty decision? Wrong.
    Sending off? Correct.
    Not giving a penalty when Evans was having his shirt pulled off him in the box? Wrong.

He's just sh!te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Webb clearly had money on Man u , and on a sending off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was very immature from Babel. He is a professional footballer and has to understand that he will get in trouble over something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fair play to Babbel its about time a big deal was made out of webb's major bias towards united maybe all the publicity from this might make him think twice the next time is about to rule in favour of his beloved united.

LOL @ the people who think he is not completely biased, you dont see mock ups of any other refs in united jerseys or hear fans constantly pointing out the continued favoritism of other refs towards united so there is obviously cause for it

So it must be true because everyone says it? Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have to laugh at the Liverpool fan's outrage alleging that referees have favouritism towards United. Short memories or what?
    Mark Clattenburg - Merseyside derby incident

Clattenburg came under heavy criticism following his controversial officiating of the local derby match between Everton and Liverpool on 20 October 2007. During the match, he made a number of questionable decisions. His first was the award of a debatable penalty and red card for an incident involving Tony Hibbert and Steven Gerrard. He appeared to have been influenced by Gerrard in his decision to send off Hibbert as he initially took the yellow card out to book the defender, but after an interaction, albeit brief, with Gerrard, Clattenburg changed his mind and sent off Hibbert. He later failed to send off Dirk Kuyt for a waist-high lunge at Phil Neville. And the final controversy arose when he declined Everton's appeals for a penalty in the third minute of added time, with the score at 1–2, when Jamie Carragher pulled down Everton's Joleon Lescott in the Liverpool six yard box. Following the match, he was suspended from officiating the following weekend's Premier League matches and has never been given an Everton game to referee since.

I think Webb is a great referee and did an admirable job in near impossible circumstances during the World Cup Final. Yes he got one big decision wrong in the United/Liverpool match - not awarding United a penalty for the foul on Evans - but the best team still won in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

who is dalglish junior ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Have to laugh at the Liverpool fan's outrage alleging that referees have favouritism towards United. Short memories or what?

I think Webb is a great referee and did an admirable job in near impossible circumstances during the World Cup Final. Yes he got one big decision wrong in the United/Liverpool match - not awarding United a penalty for the foul on Evans - but the best team still won in the end.

He was awful in the World Cup Final. Outside the UK this is universally acknowledged. He only got the final because FIFA were costing up to the FA after the 'goal' incident.

I wouldn't regard him as a good ref. He's about as consistent as cheap soup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jazzy wrote: »
    who is dalglish junior ?

Some knob living off his dads name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

jank wrote: »
    Some knob living off his dads name.

his actual son? whats he got to do with any of this? did he say something? havent been in the loop for the weekend :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sure look at all the abuse ferguson has dished out to refs down the years and f*** all has ever happened to him. Couple of small fines and suspended sentences so I'd imagine if fair is fair Babel should only get a warning as it's his first offence.

But i fear we're all about to get another demo (as is one were needed after yesterday)....one rule for ferguson and another for the rest.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Sure look at all the abuse ferguson has dished out to refs down the years and f*** all has ever happened to him. Couple of small fines and suspended sentences so I'd imagine if fair is fair Babel should only get a warning as it's his first offence.

But i fear we're all about to get another demo (as is one were needed after yesterday)....one rule for ferguson and another for the rest.
    This. The FA love using LFC as an example. Who can forget the famous 5 minute respect campaign after Mascherano's sending off for next to nothing at OT a few years back.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Theres no quote from Babel in that post . Will you quote where I said what you say I said, If not, Why are you making up things and accusing me of saying them?

I'm done playing games with you. The quote from yourself is there for everyone to see (post 23 this thread) if they check the original post. Like usual your denial when caught out is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

3 and a half years you had to go back for that one well done, lets see pen against arsenal a few weeks ago was the last one with howard webb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think Webb is one of the best referees in the Premiership, but unfortunately it just isn't good enough to be honest and I don't think it ever can be as, after all he is only human and has to make split second decisions without the benefit of being able to see the incident again in slow motion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think Webb can be an excellent official, but he has been poor over the last year by his own standards - I think last season was possibly his poorest season, despite getting the WC Final, which i believe he got based on the reputation (rightly) earned in previous seasons.

I still think he is a great ref for man-management and controlling of players - I really like the way he generally takes control of flashpoints and can seperate the players quickly and effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If it's any consolation the refs in England would be marginally better than those in Spain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement