Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's Ryan Babel faces FA probe for Twitter blast at Howard Webb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jazzy wrote: »
    who is dalglish junior ?

Paul Dalglish - Kenny's son.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Paul Dalglish - Kenny's son.

and what has he been doing which brings him into this thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Have to laugh at the Liverpool fan's outrage alleging that referees have favouritism towards United. Short memories or what?

I think Webb is a great referee and did an admirable job in near impossible circumstances during the World Cup Final. Yes he got one big decision wrong in the United/Liverpool match - not awarding United a penalty for the foul on Evans - but the best team still won in the end.

Yet Webb still can give a pen for a foul outside the box.

The Evans thing goes on in every game and until the refs start to call it, it will still go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mister men wrote: »
    I'm done playing games with you. The quote from yourself is there for everyone to see (post 23 this thread) if they check the original post. Like usual your denial when caught out is laughable.

Good

You're right what I actually said is there for all to see , which is why they'll know I never posted the made up quote from Babel which you claimed I did.

You said BABEL said Webb was corrupt.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't make stuff up and attribute it to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jazzy wrote: »
    and what has he been doing which brings him into this thread ?

Posting ***** on Twitter apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

doc_17 wrote: »
    Sure look at all the abuse ferguson has dished out to refs down the years and f*** all has ever happened to him. Couple of small fines and suspended sentences so I'd imagine if fair is fair Babel should only get a warning as it's his first offence.

But i fear we're all about to get another demo (as is one were needed after yesterday)....one rule for ferguson and another for the rest.

I mean it is not as if he has been brought up by the FA and given a touchline ban in the past....oh wait he has.

The lunacy of the conspiracy theorists against United or any top team is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

The Muppet wrote: »
    A player publically accusing a ref of being corrupt is not a smart move. He'll be in big trouble over that, they'll want to stamp that nonsense out straight away. They'll make an example of Mr Babel for sure.

They should want to stamp out nonsense like Webb's decision making. That would make a bigger improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The FA will love this ..Babel is such a soft target !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Every team gets bad decisions- united got knocked out of cl last season with a joke sending off, chelsea got a blatently offside goal to decide the league last year, liverpool won the cl in 2005 with a debatable penalty, the list goes on.

decisions usually even themselves out though, in that chelsea/utd game drogba was offside but utds goal was clearly handball, liverpools penalty was debatable but they should have had a clear penalty in the first half when i think nesta handled in the box and milan went straight down the other end and scored

i think the point being made on this thread is that webb has given utd 3 major decisions over the past 18 months, penalty yesterday, penalty against spurs in 2009 when spurs were 2-0 up and penalty against liverpool last year at ot when liverpool were 1-0 up, has howard given three dubious penalties against utd during that same time period or for liverpool/spurs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

mixednuts wrote: »
    The FA will love this ..Babel is such a softie!

FYP:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You said BABEL said Webb was corrupt.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't make stuff up and attribute it to me.

Thanks
    A player publically accusing a ref of being corrupt is not a smart move. He'll be in big trouble over that, they'll want to stamp that nonsense out straight away. They'll make an example of Mr Babel for sure.

Hmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

From Guardian

Twitter is the best thing to have happened to football fans, give a footballer a twitter account and hilarity always seems to ensue

hold on a minute, are you suggesting Babel is a footballer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Rapper Wannabee Babel and the toilet seat thief ought to spend more time on their mediocre on pitch performances and less time whinging on Twitter. Old Skool guy Dalglish i'm sure will clip these lads round the ear and tell them to cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

lol @ people saying Webb should take legal action. Admittedly I have no idea what "smh" means but none of the rest of Babels tweet even comes close to warranting legal action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Dam.. couldn't think of anything for smh..! Actually means shaking my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

MR NINE wrote: »
    lol @ people saying Webb should take legal action. Admittedly I have no idea what "smh" means but none of the rest of Babels tweet even comes close to warranting legal action.

When I say it I mean "smell my hole", but he may mean otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

rossie1977 wrote: »
    decisions usually even themselves out though, in that chelsea/utd game drogba was offside but utds goal was clearly handball, liverpools penalty was debatable but they should have had a clear penalty in the first half when i think nesta handled in the box and milan went straight down the other end and scored

i think the point being made on this thread is that webb has given utd 3 major decisions over the past 18 months, penalty yesterday, penalty against spurs in 2009 when spurs were 2-0 up and penalty against liverpool last year at ot when liverpool were 1-0 up, has howard given three dubious penalties against utd during that same time period or for liverpool/spurs??
    Don't say that to Owen Coyle though whatever you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

lol, He has been charged by the FA for improper conduct. What a joke!

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

opr wrote: »
    lol, He has been charged by the FA for improper conduct. What a joke!

Opr
    Not really a joke he brought the game into disripute what kind of punishment will he get for improper conduct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Not really a joke he brought the game into disripute what kind of punishment will he get for improper conduct?
    He might just get a warning and a slap on the wrist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He'll get a slap on the wrist and won't be allowed to play with his LEGOOOOO! for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Will you get out of the garden it was a bit of fun from the lad.

God it even sounds so ridiculous - "Ryan babel first player to be charged with improper conduct for Twitter offences." :pac:

I would say a season ban is in order :rolleyes:

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Hmm
    You'll notice he said "A player saying an official is corrupt isn't a smart move"

He never said "Babel said webb was corrupt".

Simples.

Also, bunch of fúcking hypocrites, when Wigan score a goal that shouldn't count, the first in are the ABU brigade saying "Get over it" and "It evens itself out".

Well stfu, it just did, stop crying that it's a conspiracy please.

amiable wrote: »
    He might just get a warning and a slap on the wrist

That's all that's needed really just a warning to anyone else.

opr wrote: »
    Will you get out of the garden it was a bit of fun from the lad.

God it even sounds so ridiculous - "Ryan babel first player to be charged with improper conduct for Twitter offences." :pac:

I would say a season ban is in order :rolleyes:

Opr
    It's the same as saying Webb favoured united in a Pre match press conference players aren't ordinary fans and they represent their club they should act accordingly.

• Advertisement

He'll be banned from twitter for the rest of the season.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You'll notice he said "A player saying an official is corrupt isn't a smart move"

He never said "Babel said webb was corrupt".

Simples.

Also, bunch of fúcking hypocrites, when Wigan score a goal that shouldn't count, the first in are the ABU brigade saying "Get over it" and "It evens itself out".

Well stfu, it just did, stop crying that it's a conspiracy please.

Howard???

Calm down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sure Evra got a 4 game ban for fighting with a groundsman after the game. Be interesting to see what they do here.

What a joke. Theres not even proof Babel actually did anything. (I know it was obviously him, but it can't be proved)

I have a feeling this might work out similar to the old Eduardo dive scandal. The FA are opening a serious can of worms if this punishment goes ahead.

What about Fabregas and Sczezny openly criticising a ref on their twitter accounts last week. To name just two quick examples.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Howard???

I love the stereotypical liverpool reply. ;)

• Advertisement

Howard???

That last part wasn't directed at you or any of the other sensible fans.

Mainly the biased folks like Niallo and Mister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

MR NINE wrote: »
    What a joke. Theres not even proof Babel actually did anything. (I know it was obviously him, but it can't be proved)

I have a feeling this might work out similar to the old Eduardo dive scandal. The FA are opening a serious can of worms if this punishment goes ahead.

What about Fabregas and Sczezny openly criticising a ref on their twitter accounts last week. To name just two quick examples.

IP addresses linked with the account could easily be checked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

RasTa wrote: »
    Sure Evra got a 4 game ban for fighting with a groundsman after the game. Be interesting to see what they do here.

Taking the piss out of a ref and being involved in a fight with a groundsman are worlds apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Taking the piss out of a ref and being involved in a fight with a groundsman are worlds apart.

It's the FA we are dealing with here..... They love their Howard and is the Respect campaign still going on? I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they make an example of him.

L'prof wrote: »

Yes but Ryan Babel could just claim his account was hacked there's no way of proving it was him.

For example this might not necessarily be "MR NINE" writing this post.

Obviously I know this is very farfetched, it was obviously him. But what I'm trying to point out is it is going to be very difficult for the FA to police all tweets from everyone involved with English Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

L'prof wrote: »

And you really think that the FA would get access to that information from Twitter?

The whole thing is absurd to be honest. Babel deserves what he gets as the rules are clear. The rules are ****ing stupid but that is irrelevant really as they have been in existence for quite some time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the lad should concentrate on actually being good at football before he starts posting things like that...he aint exactly a top performer himself is he?

at least ferdinand for example has the medals behind him if he was to give out about anybody.

I'd imagine he will be made an example of too tbh.

Abusing a match official on the pitch can earn 4 penalty points and a 3 game ban according to the FA rules.

3 game ban and a fine perhaps?

I'd imagine the bóllocking he gets behind closed doors will hopefully knock a bit of sense into him.

I'd imagine he will be made an example of too tbh.

Abusing a match official on the pitch can earn 4 penalty points and a 3 game ban according to the FA rules.

3 game ban and a fine perhaps?

I'd imagine the bóllocking he gets behind closed doors will hopefully knock a bit of sense into him.
    penalty.gif

Funny that the picture is also named "penalty".

I lol'd.

the lad should concentrate on actually being good at football before he starts posting things like that...he aint exactly a top performer himself is he?

at least ferdinand for example has the medals behind him if he was to give out about anybody.

If you are a good player then you can twitter what you want.

If you are a poor player you can't.

Good logic there.

Gold star for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apparenly he has until 4pm on Thursday to respond to the charge, though not sure whether that has to be in 140 characters or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Fully agree that he should just be concentrating on his football, but what do medals have to do with giving out about someone?? Should Djimi Traore get away with slagging someone off?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Found the picture amusing anytime i have seen it, even better that some of the tin foil brigade actually buy into this type of stuff.Keep it up guys. :pac:

On Babel posting it, i would imagine a letter from the FA outlining how blablahblah is frowned upon and to not do it again, anything stronger as a punishment is just like the picture. A joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

This starts a very slippery slope and will probably see most clubs impose a ban on Twitter. That said, Babel may be punished by the FA but the FA wouldn't have a leg to stand on in a court of law if Babel proceeded further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Now we know why Ferdinand is so boring. Playing it safe...

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Fully agree that he should just be concentrating on his football, but what do medals have to do with giving out about someone?? Should Djimi Traore get away with slagging someone off?? :D

It's just as stupid as Glen Johnson calling Paul Merson average and ranting about his addiction problems, he too should concetrate on his football and try become the player he has been hyped up to be instead of drawing even more attention to his own mediocrity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

adox wrote: »
    I hope Webb threatens him and that Dalglish jnr with legal action after their childish outbursts today.

And under what law will they be prosecuted on? :rolleyes:

Its only a bit of a laugh and they are human at the end of the day. But still Babel should have been professional about it and kept quiet, but emotions were running high and probably did not think it would be so over blown like it has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am just curious as to whether they will enforce this on a regular basis. Players being scathing about a referee on twitter is a pretty common thing nowadays. As a poster has already mentioned two Arsenal players did it recently.

Are the FA going to clamp down on those two players? Plenty of managers have been very scathing of refs in post match interviews, will we be seeing regular action from the FA on this?

I think not.

My problem is not so much with the FA clamping down on things, it is the fact that they are so inconsistent in how often they clamp down on issues and how the same type of issue is punishment worthy one week and not so another week.

I really think that they could be opening a can of worms with this because if another player comes out and is scathing of a ref on twitter in the future, then the FA have to act otherwise they will be leaving themselves open to any players punished for the same thing in the past to take a case against the FA.

Has to be all or none in my eyes.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am just curious as to whether they will enforce this on a regular basis. Players being scathing about a referee on twitter is a pretty common thing nowadays. As a poster has already mentioned two Arsenal players did it recently.

Are the FA going to clamp down on those two players? Plenty of managers have been very scathing of refs in post match interviews, will we be seeing regular action from the FA on this?

I think not.

My problem is not so much with the FA clamping down on things, it is the fact that they are so inconsistent in how often they clamp down on issues and how the same type of issue is punishment worthy one week and not so another week.

I really think that they could be opening a can of worms with this because if another player comes out and is scathing of a ref on twitter in the future, then the FA have to act otherwise they will be leaving themselves open to any players punished for the same thing in the past to take a case against the FA.

Has to be all or none in my eyes.
    Fabregas or scscsesny didn't post a picture of the Ref in the opposition's jersey.

That's what most of the fuss is about imo.

Nobody cares he said that howard webb isn't the countries greatest.

• Advertisement

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Fabregas or scscsesny didn't post a picture of the Ref in the opposition's jersey.

That's what most of the fuss is about imo.

Nobody cares he said that howard webb isn't the countries greatest.

The jersey had AIG on it, it doesn't count ;)

Advertisement