Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's Ryan Babel faces FA probe for Twitter blast at Howard Webb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

MR NINE wrote: »
    What a joke. Theres not even proof Babel actually did anything. (I know it was obviously him, but it can't be proved)

I have a feeling this might work out similar to the old Eduardo dive scandal. The FA are opening a serious can of worms if this punishment goes ahead.

What about Fabregas and Sczezny openly criticising a ref on their twitter accounts last week. To name just two quick examples.

Babel has already apologized, so he has admitted it was him.

I don't think players should criticize referrers in public as it leads to numerous other problems. Plus posting a picture of Webb in a United jersey is beyond mere criticism. Despite what others say there is a clear link with saying that Webb favours United.

I guess that is what happens when you give idiots a soapbox, they will say idiotic things. Anybody familiar with Babel's previous tweets and those of many other footballers should realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Fabregas or scscsesny didn't post a picture of the Ref in the opposition's jersey.

That's what most of the fuss is about imo.

Nobody cares he said that howard webb isn't the countries greatest.

But where does the line get drawn?

Is it ok for a player to say a ref is incompetent on twitter, but not ok to put up a childish picture?

What level of criticism from a player on Twitter will be deemed acceptable?

What about if a player says something bad about another player or manager on Twitter? Will that be seen as bringing the game into disrepute?

Or if a player has a go at the chairman of his club?

I just see too much potential for a can or worms to be opened unless the FA become decisive and consistent in their approach to internet related issues.

It is a sad reflection on the modern game though when a fugging social network starts to become a part of the issues affecting the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I wonder if an English international had done something likewise if the FA would be stamping down like this? Me thinks not.

the lad should concentrate on actually being good at football before he starts posting things like that...he aint exactly a top performer himself is he?

at least ferdinand for example has the medals behind him if he was to give out about anybody.
    So players from teams like United can get away with things because they have medals right. More or less the same as on the pitch then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

:pac: I had a feeling the Maud flanders brigade would be here soon.

More like Helen Lovejoy I would have said.
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    And under what law will they be prosecuted on?

Defamation of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Sad state of affairs when a player after losing against his teams biggest rivals decides to have a laugh and craic jokes about the ref instead of being embarrassed and ashamed to show his face........
    He'd have been better off studying videos of his own performances in a Liverpool shirt then being a comedian....

If i was Ryan i'd take this matter to the courts as a right to free speech. The tweet did not say anything derogatory and the picture was merely a mock up of Webb in a Manchester United top, full of innuendo and circumstantial.

Tbh i like how Babel's brought this whole issue to light. Webb can't possibly be allowed to referee games between us and United again and will be under scrutiny every time he manages United in the future. Well in Ryan.

Mister men wrote: »
    If i was Ryan i'd take this matter to the courts as a right to free speech.

Under what law do you have a right to free speech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Can it be actually proved it was Babel? Can they force Twitter to divulge account info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Defamation of character.

Defamation of character is notoriously difficult to prove. There was no quote from Babel, just a picture, and a copied publicly available picture at that.

Has Webb suffered any sort of loss as a result of Babels actions? Is that picture alone enough to defame Webb? Not a chance in hell has he a case, and if he had could every pundit be sued for claiming a player is useless/not trying?

del88 wrote: »
    He'd have been better off studying videos of his own performances in a Liverpool shirt then being a comedian....

What sort of argument is that? You could apply that logic everytime a player from a loosing team is seen out in public for reasons other then training. Whats he doing ads/appearing on TV/out shopping for?? He should be studying his own performances etc...

• Advertisement

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Defamation of character is notoriously difficult to prove. There was no quote from Babel, just a picture, and a copied publicly available picture at that.

I'm not saying it's a good case but the previous poster asked under what law could Webb take them to court.

If i was Ryan i'd take this matter to the courts as a right to free speech. The tweet did not say anything derogatory and the picture was merely a mock up of Webb in a Manchester United top, full of innuendo and circumstantial.

Tbh i like how Babel's brought this whole issue to light. Webb can't possibly be allowed to referee games between us and United again and will be under scrutiny every time he manages United in the future. Well in Ryan.

Seriously....Liverpool players need to concentrate on rebuilding the team not on the performance of a referee....Liverpool ain't 4 points off the relegation zone because of Howard web...just as united ain't top for the same reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I wonder if an English international had done something likewise if the FA would be stamping down like this? Me thinks not.

Sounds like you're calling the FA prejudiced.

[QUOTE=What sort of argument is that? You could apply that logic everytime a player from a loosing team is seen out in public for reasons other then training. Whats he doing ads/appearing on TV/out shopping for?? He should be studying his own performances etc...[/QUOTE]

Because he has being playing way below par....not fit to wear the jersey....

Isn't that the worst outcome for you?

No excuses to be crying over when you lose, might eventually have to admit you deserved to lose a game for once.

del88 wrote: »
    Because he has being playing way below par....not fit to wear the jersey....

He still has the right do what he wants in his own time, be it go on twitter or rapping

He still has the right do what he wants in his own time, be it go on twitter or rapping

Couldn't be any worse that John Barnes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You'll notice he said "A player saying an official is corrupt isn't a smart move"

He never said "Babel said webb was corrupt".

Simples.

Also, bunch of fúcking hypocrites, when Wigan score a goal that shouldn't count, the first in are the ABU brigade saying "Get over it" and "It evens itself out".

Well stfu, it just did, stop crying that it's a conspiracy please.

Oh please. Context dear boy. Or has a red mist decended? He said a player but clearly implicated Babel. I sometimes wonder why I bother with SF, it's often like conversing with ten year olds.

Maybe....But if i was kenny Dalglish i'd tell him to keep his mouth shut and concentrate on playing league winning football...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It must be great that liverpool supporters and players are able to blame the ref even though no matter who was reffing yesterday gerrard would have got red and united would have got at least 1 penalty. What excuse in next when the manager one and the referee one are used up? The pitch?

• Advertisement

It must be great that liverpool supporters and players are able to blame the ref even though no matter who was reffing yesterday gerrard would have got red and united would have got at least 1 penalty. What excuse in next when the manager one and the referee one are used up? The pitch?

Maybe blame the jerseys? Nah, too ridiculous to ever happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Colour of our jerseys?

That's a mighty big brush you are using there.

Plus it doesn't make sense. At all. Is it even English?

Benimar wrote: »
    Colour of our jerseys?

Its notorously difficult to pick out a player wearing that invisible shade of grey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Isn't that the worst outcome for you?

No excuses to be crying over when you lose, might eventually have to admit you deserved to lose a game for once.

That's all we want, we want a level playing field, and if Liverpool lose I'll put my hands up and say they deserved to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol at all the legal experts on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's all we want, we want a level playing field, and if Liverpool lose I'll put my hands up and say they deserved to lose

They deserved to lose yday:rolleyes:

Imo a lot of ref's would have booked him and not sent him off, Ive seen Gerrard and other players stay on the pitch after much worse tackles and united would be in no way guaranteed a peno either with a different ref. The incident on evans would never be given other wise there would be 20 spotters in every game and that was the only thing close to being an actual penalty.

BERBA wrote: »
    They deserved to lose yday:rolleyes:

Well the defended well, and without the help of webb would utd have scored, who knows

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's a mighty big brush you are using there.

Plus it doesn't make sense. At all. Is it even English?

What part of it can you not understand? Maybe i should put it in text speak for you or draw pictures with crayons.

Well the defended well, and without the help of webb would utd have scored, who knows

You need to blame Agger for leaving his leg out , not Webb:rolleyes:

Maybe i should put it in text speak for you or draw pictures with crayons.

It's ok, my 3 year old translated for me :)

You need to blame Agger for leaving his leg out , not Webb:rolleyes:

Well I didn't expect you to agree with me to be honest:)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's ok, my 3 year old translated for me :)

I did wonder how you were managing to make so little sense in all your posts. Now it all adds up. Its a sad state of affairs when Berba is the voice of reason:rolleyes:

I did wonder how you were managing to make so little sense in all your posts. Now it all adds up. Its a sad state of affairs when Berba is the voice of reason:rolleyes:

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

jank wrote: »
    Some knob living off his dads name.

he is actually coaching in the mls and in the middle of getting all his coaching badges

hardly living off dads name

its not as if kenny is gona send suso, coady and sterling over to him in some dodgy deal

You should ask berba would he be ok with Webb being in charge next Sunday

redzerdrog wrote: »
    he is actually coaching in the mls and in the middle of getting all his coaching badges

hardly living off dads name

its not as if kenny is gona send suso, coady and sterling over to him in some dodgy deal

It's absolutely nothing to do with his dads name that he's able to get his coaching badges at all is It?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

RasTa wrote: »
    lol at all the legal experts on this thread
    was going to post something like this, except mine would have been LOLing at all the people who think that there is a right to free speech in Engerland...

answer to that is a big NO as we have been on the receiving end of Mr Webb in a decision he got wrong at OT season before last when we were 2-0 up start of second half , gomes cleanly got a ball at the feet of ronaldo but hey the rest is history

where as you havent been on the end of any incorrect decision made coz webb got both decisions correct yday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It's absolutely nothing to do with his dads name that he's able to get his coaching badges at all is It?

Nothing at all if you wanted to get your coaching badges there is nothing stopping you

Nothing at all if you wanted to get your coaching badges there is nothing stopping you

How much money does it cost? I'm sure he's paying for it all himself, and nothing to do with his dad at all at all.

answer to that is a big NO as we have been on the receiving end of Mr Webb in a decision he got wrong at OT season before last when we were 2-0 up start of second half , gomes cleanly got a ball at the feet of ronaldo but hey the rest is history

where as you havent been on the end of any incorrect decision made coz webb got both decisions correct yday.

Are you questioning mr webbs intergity, so he made a mistake before, are you saying he is biased, why don't you want him in charge

I'd say he'd be delighted because there is absolutely no way webb can ref another game fairly. Every decision would be scrutinised to death. It won't matter if a united player is pole axed in the area, he can not give ammunition to the haters. Which referee would ye prefer in anfield? And please don't say Clattenberg

I'd say he'd be delighted because there is absolutely no way webb can ref another game fairly. Every decision would be scrutinised to death. It won't matter if a united player is pole axed in the area, he can not give ammunition to the haters. Which referee would ye prefer in anfield? And please don't say Clattenberg

Clattenberg - Nani ....say no more

How much money does it cost? I'm sure he's paying for it all himself, and nothing to do with his dad at all at all.

Paul Dalglish was a professional footballer. I dont think the cost of a few courses would have troubled him

Paul Dalglish was a professional footballer. I dont think the cost of a few courses would have troubled him

Owen Heary was at one stage as well with Bohs:rolleyes:

do you have any clue at all who paul dalglish is? by the sounds of things you have no idea

I can assure you his name has nothing to do with him getting coaching badges and i can also assure you kenny is not paying for it:rolleyes:

idiotic comment tbh you're usually better than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i have seen just as bad a tackle get yellow, howard webb again :eek:

:eek:

Owen Heary was at one stage as well with Bohs:rolleyes:

you really are a plonker of the highest order the ****e you post day after day is ruining this place tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement