Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's Ryan Babel faces FA probe for Twitter blast at Howard Webb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Paul Dalglish was a professional footballer. I dont think the cost of a few courses would have troubled him

And who signed him on his first pro Contract? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

redzerdrog wrote: »
    you really are a plonker of the highest order the ****e you post day after day is ruining this place tbh

no need for the personal abuse.

Reported your post btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

BERBA wrote: »
    Clattenberg - Nani ....say no more

Mike Dean- Gallas now we will say no more;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i have seen just as bad a tackle get yellow, howard webb again :eek:

:eek:
    He's just a poor inconsistent Ref. I wish the FA would realise that

Liam O wrote: »
    was going to post something like this, except mine would have been LOLing at all the people who think that there is a right to free speech in Engerland...

You have the right to free speech in England :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    How much money does it cost? I'm sure he's paying for it all himself, and nothing to do with his dad at all at all.

Try here http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=85&Itemid=97

And considering Paul Dalglish played football I say he has his own money to pay what fees are needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i have seen just as bad a tackle get yellow, howard webb again :eek:

:eek:

Bad tackle but his two feet werent airborne like Gerarrd which probably made it an easier decision for Webb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I know he was YTS at Celtic, duno did he ever sign a professional contract there though

I see what your getting at, his Father bringing him to Newcastle, so what?

Alex did it with Darren

Gordon with Gavin

He still carved out a decent career for himself after he left Newcastle

Pot Kettle Black with a certain D Fergusion

• Advertisement

Try here http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=85&Itemid=97

And considering Paul Dalglish played football I say he has his own money to pay what fees are needed

Yeah that's fair enough, I know he played football, but as I asked, who signed him on his first pro Contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Owen Heary was at one stage as well with Bohs:rolleyes:

You never answered why you don't want Webb in charge

Torres just after getting a winner for Crawley Town in fa cup v derby county:D

I know he was YTS at Celtic, duno did he ever sign a professional contract there though

I see what your getting at, his Father bringing him to Newcastle, so what?

Alex did it with Darren

Gordon with Gavin

He still carved out a decent career for himself after he left Newcastle

I never said he wasn't good enough, I simply said it was BS to say his father has nothing to do with his career, would darren ferguson be a manager without alex? No I highly doubt it, he's also living off his fathers name.

niallo27 wrote: »
    You never answered why you don't want Webb in charge

He reffin Sunderland v Newcastle next sunday so doesnt really matter now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Straight forward question to any liverpool supporter on here - who do ye want to ref the next united - liverpool game?

• Advertisement

Straight forward question to any liverpool supporter on here - who do ye want to ref the next united - liverpool game?

Anyone but whoever is announced. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You have the right to free speech in England :)
    with a catch
    The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

protection of morals could mean anything so it's not really free speech

Just a good one.

Even a lot of united fans on here agree he's not a great ref yet he still gets the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kenny Dalglish

Yeah that's fair enough, I know he played football, but as I asked, who signed him on his first pro Contract?

Either his da or Kevin Keegan signed for Newcastle in 97 but not sure what month and both of these were manager at Newcastle in 97

• Advertisement

Either his da or Kevin Keegan signed for Newcastle in 97 but not sure what month and both of these were manager at Newcastle in 97

It was a rhetorical question so the answer should be obvious.

Anyone but Webb, well to be honest Webb is not the only one that favours utd, how Gary Neville wasn't sent off twice this year is beyond believe

He reffin Sunderland v Newcastle next sunday so doesnt really matter now:p

Your a bottler:D

Liam O wrote: »
    with a catch
    protection of morals could mean anything so it's not really free speech

Looks like they are being reformed as we speak

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/reform-of-libel-laws-set-to-open-up-the-right-of-free-speech-2178133.html

Pretty deep stuff for the SF :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Every ref has made bad/controversial decisions but any one of Dowd, Clattenburg, Atkinson or Bennet would be alright by me. However, before I'm slated for suggesting these refs, I do think the standard of refereeing in England is particularly poor. It's not easy to find a good ref.

Webb shouldn't be given another Utd v Liverpool game. I don't really have any qualms with his performance the other day but the penalty awarded against Masch last season in OT was a shocking decision. Given how much controversy thats arisen in the past from Man Utd games he has reffed it would be stupid on the FA's behalf if they awarded him the fixture again. Then again the FA clearly aren't the smartest bunch so expect it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am just curious as to whether they will enforce this on a regular basis. Players being scathing about a referee on twitter is a pretty common thing nowadays. As a poster has already mentioned two Arsenal players did it recently.

Are the FA going to clamp down on those two players? Plenty of managers have been very scathing of refs in post match interviews, will we be seeing regular action from the FA on this?

I think not.

My problem is not so much with the FA clamping down on things, it is the fact that they are so inconsistent in how often they clamp down on issues and how the same type of issue is punishment worthy one week and not so another week.

I really think that they could be opening a can of worms with this because if another player comes out and is scathing of a ref on twitter in the future, then the FA have to act otherwise they will be leaving themselves open to any players punished for the same thing in the past to take a case against the FA.

Has to be all or none in my eyes.

I don't know if your intentionally down playing the significance of the picture or just haven't grasped it. It's the picture that makes the difference and it's the picture that has him in the trouble he is.

I think the FA will punish him severly, they have little choice to do anything else since they charged him. Anything else will create an atmosphere where Refs are fair game, the FA can't afford to let that happen.

Anyone but Webb, well to be honest Webb is not the only one that favours utd, how Gary Neville wasn't sent off twice this year is beyond believe

Thats true about neville. Should we say those refs are in uniteds pocket too?

I never said he wasn't good enough, I simply said it was BS to say his father has nothing to do with his career, would darren ferguson be a manager without alex? No I highly doubt it, he's also living off his fathers name.

Most people's Father's have something to do with their career choice tbf

Its completly wrong though to accuse Paul Dalglish or Darren Ferguson of living off their fathers name

I dont believe for a second that any chairman would give a man a job as manager on the basis of him being someone's son.

Maybe if the son was employed within the same club as his father, in a well paid menial role you would have an argument

Most people's Father's have something to do with their career choice tbf

Its completly wrong though to accuse Paul Dalglish or Darren Ferguson of living off their fathers name

I dont believe for a second that any chairman would give a man a job as manager on the basis of him being someone's son.

Maybe if the son was employed within the same club as his father, in a well paid menial role you would have an argument

For arguments sake, if sir alex ferguson or kenny dalglish never got involved in football, do you think there sons would have become managers?

Thats true about neville. Should we say those refs are in uniteds pocket too?

There is a definite bias there though, why argue with it, it's there, if it was Liverpool I'd love it, I wouldn't give a **** how they won

• Advertisement

agh yeah , but what if said chairman was thinking i'll get a few players on loan off daddy if i give son the position;)

For arguments sake, if sir alex ferguson or kenny dalglish never got involved in football, do you think there sons would have become managers?

I dont know,its impossible to answer. Would they have had an interest in from a young age? Would they have had the encouragement, the training? I dont know, its impossible to say

I work at sea, so does my Father. Iv never worked with him, or for the same company, but without him being at sea I never would have had an interest in it, so despite him not helping me with my career, I wouldnt have it without him. You could apply the same to Darren F or Paul D, or infact half the population

I do however think they have proven themselves in their own right, albeit at a lower level

There is a definite bias there though, why argue with it, it's there, if it was Liverpool I'd love it, I wouldn't give a **** how they won

I'm sick of seeing united's wins being put down to refs. Don't get me wrong i go ballistic when the decisons don't go our way but i don't honestly believe refs can be very biased these days with every contravecial decision replayed over and over. Refs make mistakes in every game for and against every club. United got a terrible decision at the end of the birmingham game. I was more angry about them missing chances to finish the game

agh yeah , but what if said chairman was thinking i'll get a few players on loan off daddy if i give son the position;)

Didnt Darren Ferguson make a point of not loaning ManUtd players for a good few years in order to prove he was his own man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Didnt Darren Ferguson make a point of not loaning ManUtd players for a good few years in order to prove he was his own man?

yeah, he did. And got successive promotions in that time too didn't he?

I dont know,its impossible to answer. Would they have had an interest in from a young age? Would they have had the encouragement, the training? I dont know, its impossible to say

I work at sea, so does my Father. Iv never worked with him, or for the same company, but without him being at sea I never would have had an interest in it, so despite him not helping me with my career, I wouldnt have it without him. You could apply the same to Darren F or Paul D, or infact half the population

I do however think they have proven themselves in their own right, albeit at a lower level

Maybe you're right, but imo their careers have been helped along an awful lot by the their parents, I don't think they would have made it in the business without the name backing them up.

I'm sick of seeing united's wins being put down to refs. Don't get me wrong i go ballistic when the decisons don't go our way but i don't honestly believe refs can be very biased these days with every contravecial decision replayed over and over. Refs make mistakes in every game for and against every club. United got a terrible decision at the end of the birmingham game. I was more angry about them missing chances to finish the game

You have to admit season after season utd get a lot more descisions for them than against them, there winning games because their a good team with a great manager, but I'd say a refs are worth about 5 or 6 pts a season to utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You have to admit season after season utd get a lot more descisions for them than against them, there winning games because their a good team with a great manager, but I'd say a refs are worth about 5 or 6 pts a season to utd

If you are saying that refs are worth 6 points a season more to United than any other team well that is simply not true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

*stares blankly at thread title*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

adox wrote: »
    If you are saying that refs are worth 6 points a season more to United than any other team well that is simply not true.

Yeah, seriously, it's more like 9 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Muppet wrote: »
    I don't know if your intentionally down playing the significance of the picture or just haven't grasped it. It's the picture that makes the difference and it's the picture that has him in the trouble he is.

I think the FA will punish him severly, they have little choice to do anything else since they charged him. Anything else will create an atmosphere where Refs are fair game, the FA can't afford to let that happen.

I posted again within a few posts of the post you quoted and explained in more detail what I thought. Maybe you intentionally ignored that post or just did not grasp it.

I did not argue that there should be no punishment for Babel, I said that if the FA are not consistent in punishing what they deem to be disrespectful/accusatory/disreputable towards match day officials and/or other people involved in their association, be it players, managers, club staff etc., then they are potentially opening a can of worms that would leave things open to lawsuits.

I mentioned two players that were openly scathing of a matchday official only a week or so ago on Twitter, and the FA did not get involved despite one of their refs being called incompetent and of showing a bias towards one team. No fuss was made of that despite the same claim of bias being shown.

Now it should not make a difference whether a claim of bias is made by showing a picture or by a player actually saying it, both have to be punishment worthy if one is.

I agree that the FA cannot be seen to do nothing, but my arguement is if they take a stand on it now, then they have to do so each and every time something similar happens in the future, and should have done so for the times it has already happened this season.

I posted again within a few posts of the post you quoted and explained in more detail what I thought. Maybe you intentionally ignored that post or just did not grasp it.

None of the above , I just did'n see it.:)
    I did not argue that there should be no punishment for Babel, I said that if the FA are not consistent in punishing what they deem to be disrespectful/accusatory/disreputable towards match day officials and/or other people involved in their association, be it players, managers, club staff etc., then they are potentially opening a can of worms that would leave things open to lawsuits.

I mentioned two players that were openly scathing of a matchday official only a week or so ago on Twitter, and the FA did not get involved despite one of their refs being called incompetent and of showing a bias towards one team. No fuss was made of that despite the same claim of bias being shown.

Now it should not make a difference whether a claim of bias is made by showing a picture or by a player actually saying it, both have to be punishment worthy if one is.

I agree that the FA cannot be seen to do nothing, but my arguement is if they take a stand on it now, then they have to do so each and every time something similar happens in the future, and should have done so for the times it has already happened this season.

Saying the Ref was biased or a homer is one thing , showing a picture of one in a club kit is quite something else and is open to other intrepretations far more serious than the former as is evident by the FA charge.

I think it safe to assume any player posting a similar picture will face a similar charge in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Much ado about nothing really in my opinion. Bit of a laugh that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

None of the above , I just did'n see it.:)

Saying the Ref was biased or a homer is one thing , showing a picture of one in a club kit is quite something else and is open to other intrepretations far more serious than the former as is evident by the FA charge.

I think it safe to assume any player posting a similar picture will face a similar charge in future.

Openly saying that a referee was showing a bias to one team over another team is open to the exact same interpretations and carries the same implication of corruption as a mocked up picture.

If one is an offence, then the other should be treated as such as well, regardless of who the player is or what club he plays for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

How and who chooses a ref for a game?

• Advertisement

How and who chooses a ref for a game?

Fergie chooses the one for United games. He may also choose the ones for other games but don't quote me on that one.

Openly saying that a referee was showing a bias to one team over another team is open to the exact same interpretations and carries the same implication of corruption as a mocked up picture.

If one is an offence, then the other should be treated as such as well, regardless of who the player is or what club he plays for.

I'd have to see what was said before i'd agree that they carry the same implication of corruption. Images tend to be much more powerful than the spoken or written word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Fergie chooses the one for United games. He may also choose the ones for other games but don't quote me on that one. Imgaes are much more powerful than the spoken/written word.

If you don't know, why not just say so or keep schtum?

If you don't know, why not just say so or keep schtum?

But I do know.:D

The PFA defending Babel, criticising FA response

Players' chief Gordon Taylor has described the Football Association as "very precious" for charging Liverpool winger Ryan Babel over Twitter posts. Babel linked to a mocked-up picture of referee Howard Webb in a Manchester United shirt after the Reds lost 1-0 to United in the FA Cup on Sunday.
    "Where's our sense of humour gone in our game?" Taylor, Professional Footballers' Association head, asked.
    "He's apologised, let's move on," he added on BBC Radio Merseyside.
    Babel, who has been accused of improper conduct by the FA, subsequently removed the link and wrote an apology on Twitter.
    The 24-year-old's original comments followed Liverpool's 1-0 third-round defeat at Old Trafford.
    o.gif

In addition to posting a link to the doctored picture of Webb, Babel wrote: "And they call him one of the best referees. That's a joke."
    The Dutchman has more than 166,000 other Twitter users following his updates and his messages and the offending image was subsequently reproduced in the media.
    Ryan Giggs scored the game's only goal from a spot-kick awarded by Webb for Daniel Agger's apparent foul on Dimitar Berbatov inside the first minute.
    Webb later sent off Steven Gerrard after 32 minutes for a challenge on Michael Carrick.
    Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish labelled the penalty decision "a joke" and also disagreed with the red card for his captain.
    However, Taylor believes the FA have been too heavy-handed in their reaction to Babel's online criticisms.
    "He's apologised and has said he's sorry, let's move on," Taylor added on BBC Radio Merseyside.
    "I would think that Howard Webb is a big enough man, a big enough person and good enough referee to take it.

"To my mind, and to most footballers' minds, it is the same sort of stuff that flies about every weekend via mobile phones, but they are obviously taking a stance on it. I thought a warning would have been sufficient."
    Babel, a Netherlands international, is believed to be the first player charged with improper conduct relating to a post on the social networking site.
    "My apology if they take my posted picture seriously. This is just a emotional reaction after losing an important game. Sorry Howard Webb," Babel wrote on Twitter by way of an apology.
    He then joked about spending a spell in "Twitter jail" and his previously prolific posts stopped on Sunday evening.
    It is not the first time that a Liverpool member of staff has been drawn into controversy through their use of the website.
    The club's head of fitness and conditioning Darren Burgess labelled England "completely amateurish" and "disgraceful" after Gerrard was injured in the 84th minute of an international friendly against France

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9352443.stm

• Advertisement
Advertisement