Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head wear advice

• 09-01-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I will be heading the Maldives in a few months diving and was looking for some advice on what head wear to get to prevent getting sunburned while on the surface. I don't have much hair anyway so I can always just cover myself with sun cream but I'm just wondering if there is something better. I have seen a few people wear bandanas and given the water temp I don't really want to wear a full hood - Is there something like this that can be recommended?

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-28/122274/Neosport-by-Henderson-1mm-Helmet-Liner-Hood.html

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

If you have a drysuit hood then take it with you.

When kitting up, put it on and place it around you neck. On goes the mask, then dive away.

Towards the end of the dive - as you are getting chilly - pull up the hood over your head (and mask strap) and it's warm again.

Leave it on until back in the boat - problem solved.

Have done it for years. Works every time.

BTW, if going in for a long snorkel, as they do with mantas/dolphins/whale sharks in the Maldives (was there a couple of years ago) wear the hood!

The back of your head, and behind the ears, is particularly prone to sunburn when snorkelling. You can understand why.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers for that. I don't have a hood at the moment. I'll do a bit more research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Any diver on his/her 2/3rd drysuit would be glad to part with a spare hood.
    But fit is important - too tight gives a headache.

Cheers

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Bandana wrapped around the head should be fine, that or you can pick up a (non-neoprene) cycling cap fairly cheap, the tight fitting ones that are worn under helmets.

Advertisement