Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful broadband in Castleknock-and advice?

• 09-01-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there -
    We are living with 1980s internet speeds here , very close to the castleknock park gates .
    Were orginally with Eircom ,switched to Vodafone and if anything it has only got less reliable.
    It typically breaks down at least once a day ,and when it works you could boil the kettle ,wet the tea and drink it on occasions before a fresh page loads.
    I understand it is because we are " a certain distance from the exchange"

I need this for work also and it is proving a royal pain in the posterior.

Three questions
    1-has anyone else in Castleknock or similar effected been able to sort out a similar problem?

2- Does anyone have an idea as to another option which might work for me?

3- Failing standard options ,and given that i need it for work,are there other options i can look at -even if costly ?

Many thanks in advance for any help i can get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dwoodgate

hi,

Yep that end of castleknock is c3.5-4km (as the cable flies!) from the eircom exchange which is at blanchardstown shopping centre so getting decent speeds over the phone line (DSL) will be a challenge unless Eircom deploy fibre to the kerb which seems unlikely in the short term.

If you need to sort this straight away you should be able to go with wireless from Digiweb..have a look at the roofs of your neighbours and see if any of them have a small diamond shaped aerial...worth talking to them to see what the speed and costs are. That will mean a contract and maybe some start up costs.

If you can wait a few months everyone at that end of castleknock is eagerly awaiting UPC to offer their digital services...they have installed the fibre and installed a new cable at roof level in most of the estates (you'll see this outside your house....if they have done it...a second black cable strung on wire between houses)......shortly they will connect this up, remove the old cable and then finally offer the new services which should include very high speed internet access as well as bundled phone/tv/broadband offers.

One low cost interim soluton which could suit if you need just one PC/laptop in the house connected is the mobile broadband options from the likes of O2,Meteor,3 etc..performance mainly depends on how many others are using it at the same time..but I've found it to be faster than DSL most of the time in this particular area.....see if they will let you try it out....and test it at night between 6 and 8pm...bear in mind that these are mainly aimed at web browsing and the monthly allowance/PAYG allowance will be low so fine for email and web browsing but dont try downloading movies..

In summary I'd wait a while for UPS if you can and if theyve cabled your house..

If your house is not cabled then wireles is best option

Mobile broadband without a contract is best short term option

Also check when contract with voda expires...

hope this helps.

Advertisement