Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions Please

• 09-01-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Just to be clear, I'm not scouting for business or trying to advertise anything here, I'm just looking for some opinions!

I'm thinking long term here, but I'm seriously considering establishing myself as an independant midwife offering postnatal services much like those offered by the domino scheme midwives - home visits for 3-5 days, breastfeeding support, mother and baby checks, baby weights,basic baby care, telephone support etc... But in the Wicklow and and surrounding areas not covered by the hospitals catchment areas. I would also like to start offering antenatal classes in the home as part of the 'service'.

What do you think of this idea? Do you think it might work? Would you be willing to pay for this and if so how much? Would you be interested if Insurance companies came on board and covered some of the costs?

Also, what would you expect from this type of service?

Now I'm not thinking about doing anything with this idea this week, this month and probably not this year (so I won't be taking bookings yet :p) but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

From seeing how my SIL did it I am so jealous. She only went to the hospital three times. 12 weeks scan, 20 week scan and a blood test at 40 weeks. When the midwives called it was like a neighbour calling in. As she has a big family this was essential for her.

The issue is the combined care option is free as are the PHN. I would be interested if Insurance companies covered it, however little. Companies like the Hospital Saturday fund might cover it. At the most I would pay maybe €500 for this, possible as a weekly payment paid in full before mat leave.

I would be MUCH more lightly to pay for this service than semi-private or private care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not sure ccl means independent midwife offering home births or pre natal care, just post natal care like you would get if you were availing of the early transfer home scheme in the hospital. I reckon you would still have to attend the hospital for all antenatal appointments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I'm not sure ccl means independent midwife offering home births or pre natal care, just post natal care like you would get if you were availing of the early transfer home scheme in the hospital. I reckon you would still have to attend the hospital for all antenatal appointments...

Exactly. I just don't have the experience of 'natural' births to feel comfortable and competent in providing a home birth service. Thats what happens when you train and work in a very 'medicalised' environment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It seems to be the way some mid-wives are heading. The midwives that looked after my SIL brought 2 different other midwives with them so they could get experience as that wanted to be independant midwives.

Would you also be a 'doula'?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Hi, I've had a c-section so would not be a candidate for a home birth. BUT I would be very interested in the type of service you are describing especially if I got some of the support you are describing in the hospital and even more if the hospital would let me go home a bit earlier becuse of such support.

I'd certainly pay €500 for such support and probably more. If insurance covered some it I'd be even more pleased naturally!

I'd have thought thought that you would want to develop a relationship before the baby was born for it to be most effective. Someone to usefully filter all the advice in books, tv etc would be great! Advice on exercise and diet tailored to the individual mum to be would be great also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

love the idea didn't even know you could get this care the help with breastfeeding sounds really good
    not sure on payment depends how long and how many days you would come at id pay 20 euro a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

There's definitely a demand for the service and Avivia already contribute towards Doula services around the country. Quinn also offer coverage for care provided by a Midwife for certain plans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love it for prenatal care and post natal if I could go home the day of the birth.
    My last experience in Holles st was exceptionally brilliant but that was down to the amazing midwife that I had.
    It was like having a good friend there holding my hand.
    Dreading it this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think that is a great idea and certainly would have availed of it.

Can I also make another suggestion? To market yourself to single parents who have no support during the pregnancy and the birth also. Obviously not to put cots together and carry car seats home and that kind of thing, but maybe to help them with birthing positions, birthing balls, pre natal care, being there for the birth and after care also.

I know I would have definitely benefited from that if it were available as a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Lots of positive feedback ladies :)

Thanks very much :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

I think that is a great idea and certainly would have availed of it.

Can I also make another suggestion? To market yourself to single parents who have no support during the pregnancy and the birth also. Obviously not to put cots together and carry car seats home and that kind of thing, but maybe to help them with birthing positions, birthing balls, pre natal care, being there for the birth and after care also.

I know I would have definitely benefited from that if it were available as a service.

Hi Metro - there are birth Doulas and post natal Doulas around the country providing these services. Doulas do not provide medical care - but support, information and assistance during and after birth.

Best of luck Crazy Cat!

Advertisement