Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I.T or Computer Forsenics?

• 09-01-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Sorry this might be the wrong section, but i'm wondering which would be the best course for me to do to get a job when i'm done, computer forsenics seems good but it might be hard work getting a job??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

computer forensics covers a large scope of computers.

programming,
    networking,
    secuirty,
    SQL and other microsoft applications,
    mathamatics,
    computer architecture,
    databases,
    operating systems,
    biometric systems,

etc. for most of first and second year the classes are combined with other courses such as gaming development and applied computing.

its a very worth while course. Im currently half way through my honours degree and i didnt think i would love the course this much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Sorry this might be the wrong section, but i'm wondering which would be the best course for me to do to get a job when i'm done, computer forsenics seems good but it might be hard work getting a job??

Where are you considering studying them

Open University offers computer forensics at post grad

There is a course you can study called ethical hacking.

To my knowledge most of this type of work is carried out by network people. Watching network traffic, sniffer tools , firewalls etc etc etc

For IT sometimes getting in the door is the hardest problem, once you get work experience your off - literally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MSIS(Management Science and Information Systems Studies) supposedly has a very high direct to employment rate.

Doing Computer Science myself. Seems like a lot do a postgrad before getting a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Where are you considering studying them

Open University offers computer forensics at post grad

There is a course you can study called ethical hacking

To my knowledge most of this type of work is carried out by network people. Watching network traffic, sniffer tools , firewalls etc etc etc

For IT sometimes getting in the door is the hardest problem, once you get work experience your off - literally
    is it http://www.learnpipe.ie/course/ethical-hackers-and-countermeasures_c2ea75f767a703ffcbde03a25b469f4d.htm

or if not can you link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

There is a course you can study called ethical hacking

I did not do it myself, I only know someone who has done it. I dont know where he did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thats the course im on at the moment.

however, i was lucky to get in on the 3 year honours. they have since changed it to a 4 year course.
    its an excellent course and very worth while doing.

just be prepared to do a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

thats the course im on at the moment.

however, i was lucky to get in on the 3 year honours. they have since changed it to a 4 year course.
    its an excellent course and very worth while doing.

just be prepared to do a lot of work.

thanks ;), just wondering what programming you use, java is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

It really depends on what you are interested in, if you are interested in how computer systems and their applications are implemented into the business
    world then go with information technology.

If you are interested in how these computer systems are built and designed then go with computer forensics.

Personally I would say the latter as it will be much more interesting, security and forensics is a huge area and one of the most exciting parts of computer science. I think you will find that you will benefit from it an awful lot more too when it comes to finding a job. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I did a degree in Systems & Networking in Sligo IT back in 2004, I think it's known as Computer Science now but it more or less covers the same modules that RoyalMarine covered his post.

Good course but a shìtload of work needs to be done. In the first year we covered the 3 main modules (Networking, Database, Programming) and at the end of that year we chose which area we wanted to continue in.

I chose Networking, didn't particulary like it but I love the hardware technician side of IT (Which is what I've been working at since I finished the course in 2007) so I kept it on.

Take heed, though, coming out with this sort of degree won't garrantee you a job, especially in systems and networking. Programming you should be fine as there's plenty of graduate jobs going out there, not so much if you want to be a technician which is what I chose :pac:

In my case I've built up loads of experience as a techie working with networks and systems but I've had to get further qualifications in terms of Comptia A+, N+ and Microsoft certs as interviewers will barely give you a look (I've been told this by such interviewers that though I have the experience I need to "decorate" my CV)

Currently, I'm on the WPP1 FÁS scheme and I'm on a 9 month non-pay contract as a techie in an organisation. I love to be back working in this area as I was made redundant from my last techie job.......just pity about the pay :pac: Plus the level of experience I've gotten since I started in September has been unreal (I've been bumped to Network Admin on odd weeks as well as dealing hands on with physical and virtualised servers.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement