Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mervue accent?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I can distinguish what I believe to be a Mervue Accent.
    However my mother cant and she is old Galway.

Can anyone else tell a "mervue accent"?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm from Mervue and I can't tell the difference between any of the east city accents.

I suppose your skill is like me being able to tell someone is Irish by looking at their mouth. I call it Irish-mouth. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

It's rather nasal and they tend to say, 'I seen,' a lot. My uncle can both recognise and take off accents and this one and the Shantalla ones are the easiest to recognised. The, 'Doo-uisce,' and, 'Knock-na-caaaara,' ones where pretentiousness is merely being put on are the funniest in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sometimes I can hear it grand, but one time I completely mixed up a Claddagh accent with a Renmore one. Both people chatting had been away for a bit, but sounded identical to me!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ye can tell whereabouts in Galway City people are from by their accent?
    I didn't even think there was a Galway accent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The St James' Road accent is way posher than the the Cardinal Cushing Road accent.

Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My girlfriend is from Mervue, she doesn't have "the accent" but can hear it, as well as those from Claddagh, Castlepark, and a couple of other places she mentioned but I've forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Most definitely!! There is tendency to pronounce Mervue as Mer-voo (can't spell it exactly as it sounds!) and "I seen", "yer wan" and "bay-bee" is common as well. It can be nasaly, flat and high in tone. It can have a kind of snooty inclination at times, especially when it comes to the provision of local gossip.

I am originally from Mervue so don't shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sometimes I can hear it grand, but one time I completely mixed up a Claddagh accent with a Renmore one. Both people chatting had been away for a bit, but sounded identical to me!:confused:
    Renmore inhabitants will love you for that. ;)

MargeS wrote: »

I got into trouble then! :)
    I didn't feel quite so bad as they had both lived abroad and that muddied it a bit. That's my story and I am sticking to it! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I am not a townie, but can find distinct differences between the accents of people from the different estates. Most of it is the words they use though. I might not always know which part they are from, but I would recognise it as different from the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

MargeS wrote: »
    I'm from Renmore and had no idea we have an "accent". That's hilarious. I wish I could be offended but have no idea of what a Claddagh accent might sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm from Dublin and I don't even nearly understand this conversation. Is there anyone famous with this accent?

Rita Ann Higgins is from Ballybrit if that is at all relevant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I am not a townie, but can find distinct differences between the accents of people from the different estates. Most of it is the words they use though. I might not always know which part they are from, but I would recognise it as different from the others.

*Skeptical face*

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

"Will ya buy me faaaaags?" "I'll bust your faaaace"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

You all sound the same to me lads, with exceptions of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are just two Galway accents - the one I understand, and the other I don't understand.
    Usually mumbling noises by older men.
    I just wanna shout "speak up man!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ye can tell whereabouts in Galway City people are from by their accent?

its not that omnipresent due to all the blow ins but go into mcDonaghs and you will hear a strong Galway accent or go to any old man pub. i can't quite say how but I would recognise the difference between shantalla and mervue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ficheall wrote: »

There's definitely a Galway city accent although you actually don't notice it so much given the huge population of non-Galwegians in the city.

Hard to describe but it would be quite nasally sounding. Not an easy accent to imitate compared to say a Dublin, Cork or nordie accent for example. Although I remember Niall Tobin doing a decent Galway accent on occasion when he used to take off different Irish accents in his stand-up days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Schtawp the lights loveen.

You don't hear the Gauwhl-way accent often enough these days.

An rud is annamh, is iontach.

Blowins have the town ruined, and I am fully aware of the irony of me, a Limericker, saying that. Doesn't make it less true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

howya luveeeeeeeeennn??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

howyanow wrote: »
    howya luveeeeeeeeennn??

Hiya, not howya.

I dunno if it's just a Mervue thing but if we were out playing and someone's mother was looking for them, one of the kids would shout out "XYZ! You're WANTED!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Hiya, not howya.

I dunno if it's just a Mervue thing but if we were out playing and someone's mother was looking for them, one of the kids would shout out "XYZ! You're WANTED!"

Definetly Hiya not Howya!

"Your mudder wants ya!" Maybe all Irish people do it, but Galway people cannot pronounce 'th' in mother and brother etc.

Definetly Hiya not Howya!

"Your mudder wants ya!" Maybe all Irish people do it, but Galway people cannot pronounce 'th' in mother and brother etc.

Lol! I'd say it's less 'Mudder' in some places and almost 'Motdtherr' with a ring to the 'r' - maybe that's one of the internal accent differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Hiya, not howya.

From recalling different people saying it I'd say it's generaly 'Howya Luveen' for west of the corrib accents and 'Hiya Luveen' for east of it.

Liam Stentson could be the right one to make the call.In one of his columns in the late 80's/early 90's or sometime back in 'the galway observer' - a wednesday free paper of the time,he had a funny piece about 'whitesocks and loveens'!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Im from in between so I can definately say its 'hiya' for Mervue and 'howAya' for Claddagh. 'Howya Now' is town/west.
    'Luveen' is pure Claddagh but it spread out a bit.

Advertisement