Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dec's Training Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Eating lots of food while "building muscle" sounds like a good thing to me. Calories are calories!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Holy Sheet..someone actually reads this...:o

I think it because i spent so long losing fat that im mentally against the idea of eating alot, it doesnt feel right at all....just have to get over it i suppose. Thanks for the comment though, nice to know someone looks in every no and again;)

Chest, shoulders and a little triceps this morning

Bench press
    empty bar x 20
    60Kg x 10
    80Kg x 8
    90Kg x 3
    95Kg x 2
    100Kg x 2
    65Kg x 10

Incline bench press
    Empty x 10
    50Kg x 8
    60Kg x 6
    65Kg x 6
    70Kg x 4

Cable crossover with decline pushup on handles
    8 - Failures on decline
    6 - Failures on decline
    Didnt matter if i had to push up for a million euro...it wasnt happening;)

tricep dip bars

Barbell overhead skullcrusher

Close grip bench press

Abs
    Hands to knees x 30
    Hands holding bench with knees up x 30
    Kettlebell in hands, legs and hands in and out x 30
    I should get better names for the above

So after a week of Animal pump i can honestly say it doesnt do anything for me, this morning i tried a sample of Dorien yates NOxPump and this was a marked improvement in concentration and lifting, it without doubt felt more solid on the bench and although it tastes like crap the workout obtained was worth it, the effect didnt last for long and i have the feeling that im not very stimulant responsive, ive read reports of NoxPump being like coke for people, i didnt see it or feel it to that extent but its the only pre workout that given me something, might stick with it for a while and take the rest of the Animal pump as a foundational.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

very good and detailed, just cause people dont comment doesnt mean nobody reads.. keep it up!! well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

xgtdec wrote: »
    Holy Sheet..someone actually reads this...:o

I think it because i spent so long losing fat that im mentally against the idea of eating alot, it doesnt feel right at all....just have to get over it i suppose.

C.

I knew someone with the same problem, but you just have to change your way of thinking, and sure eating more doesn't have to mean eating sh1te :)

Looks like your training is going well, well done.

Legs and back this morning, sachet of noxpump at about 6AM

Bodyweight squats x 40
    20Kg Bag ovr shoulders x 20
    60Kg x 12
    100Kg x 10
    140Kg x 8
    150Kg x 6
    160Kg x 5, felt like i had another one in me but left it at 5 in favor of a litle more weight
    165Kg x 3, how bad ass did i feel when i wore a beltbiggrin.gif, apparently over 160 can be belt territory, i had 5 in me but knew what i had ahead so left is at 3.
    100Kg x 10
    100Kg x 10, felt i got amazing depth on the last 2 x 10.......i quite like squattingredface.gif

Dumbell walking lunges
    28Kg x 8
    30Kg x 8
    32Kg x 8
    I quite hate lunges

Jumping chest ups x 10

Overhand hanging chinups
    On my own x 5
    Assisted 2 x 10
    I have never tried on my own since i started training, lack of confidence maybe...or the fact my shirt lifts up to reveal my gutredface.gif....but i was happy with 5 and im told the average joe would struggle to put 2 together, how much of that i belive im not sure but 5 is good for now i guess.

Bent over dumbell rows
    38Kg x 8
    40Kg x 6
    42Kg x 4...felt good to break the 40Kg if only for 4.

Abs and obliques..variation

So another workout with the NoxPump and another morning of feeling very much like i belong in a gym, im paying less and less attention to around me and getting in on the lifts more and more which leaves a much better feeling heading for the exit, almost like a "now im really working out" rather than a "all i want is to lose fat"....might take a swim tomorrow before arms on saturday...still no sign of my fat gripzfrown.gif

• Advertisement

Saturday Morning Arms

Warmed up with 20 15Kg brbell curls

Standing Bicep curls,
    18Kg x 10
    18Kg x 6
    18Kg x 4

20Kg x 10
    20Kg x 6
    20Kg x 4

22Kg x 8***PB***
    22Kg x 6
    22Kg x 4

Now i have to very very very happy with the 22's, i recall about 8 maybe 9 months ago curling 12Kg and for a laugh attempting a 20, a gym staff member laughed at me and said....and i roughly quote "ha..not now and possibly not ever"...so i'd just like to say if that trainer ever reads this....GET BENT:D

25Kg barbell
    10 mini's top and bottom followed by 10 fulls

10Kg dumbell isolation curl against inside leg

Tricep pulldowns
    34Kg x 10
    36.5 x 8
    40Kg x 6

Tricep extention overhead
    34Kg x 10
    36.5 x 8
    38.5Kg x 6

Seated tricep dips(machine)
    95Kg x 10
    105Kg x 8
    115Kg x 6

Abs session with fitness ball and medicine ball

It was amazing to be up early and in the gym on a saturday morning, the place was virtually empty and it felt good to be motivated enough to be up and out. I was very happy with the 22's and the only negative i see is that i left after 70 minutes and i had it in my head.."could i have done more" " could i have lifted heavier", if i could do 10 x 22 should i have done 6 x 24. Afterwards i decided not to doubt myself and be happy with a good workout thats getting progressivly heavier........Just have to keep diet good for the remainder of the weekend which is often a bigger struggle then any 22 will ever be:p

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

the only negative i see is that i left after 70 minutes and i had it in my head.."could i have done more" " could i have lifted heavier", if i could do 10 x 22 should i have done 6 x 24. Afterwards i decided not to doubt myself and be happy with a good workout thats getting progressivly heavier........

I used to be like that,could never spend enough time in the gym.Felt guilty if I 'only' done 60 to 90 min's.
    Started HIT recently and am down to 30 min's a session with 5 to 6 days rest between.
    Feeling stronger and getting bigger by the week..

Just my tuppence worth....:D

Chest and shoulders this morning

Chest press
    Empty bar x 20
    Stretches!!
    60Kg x 10
    90Kg x 6
    100Kg x 3(2 assisted)
    65Kg x 10

Damn this inability to get passed 100, for the 90s i was too far up the bench and clunked number 4 off the top, took all effort to get it back and left me fooked for the 100 unassisted....keep working i guess

Chest Flys, 25Kg Dumbells

Low incline Shoulder press(power rack)
    50Kg

60Kg
    From bottom position exploding up for 1 and negative back down
    Fook me this was tough!!!!

High incline shoulder press
    30Kg

Seated shoulder press machine

30Kg Barbell clean and press

Cable 2 handed front raise with Cable 2 handed standing row

Seated dumbell lat raise
    4Kg x 10
    6Kg x 8
    9Kg x 7

swiss ball sit ups

Swiss ball elbow push pull

I dont know what it was...i wasnt in it this morning, it was as hard as normal, i worked..i got through it, the weights are getting heavier, i still left feeling that i'd done a workout but i never enjoyed it...WTF?????

Normally do legs on a Thursday but Paddys day and all took a day off and did some DIY that was needing done, treated myself to a small bad of blue doritos(very nice) and a small dairy milk whole nut(my weakness), thats all the treats i had so i was quite proud to leave it at that when it was easier to scoff!! So on to legs and back today

Bodyweight squat x 30
    Empty Bar x 20
    60Kg x 12
    100Kg x 10
    140Kg x 8
    170Kg x 6****PB****
    107.5Kg x 10

I wanted 3 at the 170 and after 3 kept going, had to dig very deep on 5 and 6 but i'm happy with that, 170 feels heavy so it gives me a little boost to think that im now squatting heavier than your average gym bloke...or at least i think i am..either way its good

32Kg standing lunge
    ouch ouch ouch

6 mins on treadmill with 6% incline
    ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch...now walking like bambi

Lat pull down

Hanging pullups
    On my own 7....ok 6 and a half
    Assisted

Bent over rows 42Kg

Crunches holding oly bar

Good use of the lunch hour and felt like a better workout than tuesday, breaking the PB is always good so left in pretty good humour..all be it walking a little funny:o

Did my arms today and had a swim to stretch the legs, wont list the usual but i seem to have "tweaked my back" from doing curls:confused:

My heaviest curl is 24Kg x 6...should i have a belt on for these??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Did my arms today and had a swim to stretch the legs, wont list the usual but i seem to have "tweaked my back" from doing curls:confused:

My heaviest curl is 24Kg x 6...should i have a belt on for these??

I just knew isolation exercises were the devil.Here is more vindication:D.For serious though,you dont need a belt for curls.Were you swinging the weight up or doing something different than what you usually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Any idea why there's such a disparity between your squat and deadlift?

:Dok lets start with the disparity

I starting squat before i started deadlift so the squat weight got a little bit ahead, i also knew and know the importance of deadlift so kicked that off too, but my hands and arms would be regarded on average as small to medium and on the deadlift my grip gives way long before my arms or legs or back, my last 120 deadlift was with straps so that made it better and i can last that bit longer, so needless to say with the bar on my back for squats the grip isnt so much of a factor so i can just get on with it, does this sound right or am i doing something wrong, i have "heavy grips" and "fat gripz" to try improve it, i can def say my forearms are getting more solid but the grip remains a mystery!

On the curls it was the 3rd set, i was standing and giving myself a little momentum to get it up on the left arm(im right handed), momentum as in a little knee bounce and BAM....lower back gone and of course now very painful, maybe the curls the day after a 170 squat wasn't a great idea, should i drop the dumbell weight and do seated curls instead?

thats for the feedback ......its all much appreciated!!!!!

:Dok lets start with the disparity

I starting squat before i started deadlift so the squat weight got a little bit ahead, i also knew and know the importance of deadlift so kicked that off too, but my hands and arms would be regarded on average as small to medium and on the deadlift my grip gives way long before my arms or legs or back, my last 120 deadlift was with straps so that made it better and i can last that bit longer, so needless to say with the bar on my back for squats the grip isnt so much of a factor so i can just get on with it, does this sound right or am i doing something wrong, i have "heavy grips" and "fat gripz" to try improve it, i can def say my forearms are getting more solid but the grip remains a mystery!

On the curls it was the 3rd set, i was standing and giving myself a little momentum to get it up on the left arm(im right handed), momentum as in a little knee bounce and BAM....lower back gone and of course now very painful, maybe the curls the day after a 170 squat wasn't a great idea, should i drop the dumbell weight and do seated curls instead?

thats for the feedback ......its all much appreciated!!!!!

I not calling you on it Im just inquiring, are you sure you're hitting proper depth with your squats?My max dl would be around 165 but Id be suprised if I could squat more than 120kg.

That curl thing is odd Im not sure what to say on that.Was it an instantanous pop or something then loads of pain?

Yep with hand on heart im hitting parallel, when i stop the 170 and drop back to 107 i can get really and truly down there.......born to squat i guess:o

Born to deadlift i aint!!:p

I cant say pop...more like a ooo what was that.....doesnt feel so bad....finish workout, 2 hours later at home....cant move

i'll give it 24 hours and see what its like

It's pretty odd tbh.

Have you gone from 120 to 170 for reps in a couple of months with no set training plan?

I feel like a right bollox going around telling people they're squatting high.. but you see it so often in the gym, and people genuinely think they're hitting depth.

It's pretty odd tbh.

Have you gone from 120 to 170 for reps in a couple of months with no set training plan?

I feel like a right bollox going around telling people they're squatting high.. but you see it so often in the gym, and people genuinely think they're hitting depth.

No there is def a set plan, originally it was 140 but i seemed to go past it fairly quickly, from lifting the 170 i'd say it will be a few weeks of adjusting before i try go up,

I know you feel like a bollox...and the truth is....:D

nah i'd take any opinion be it positive or negative on board, for the squats i do it with my trainer and he's happy and im happy...so...we're both happy:rolleyes:

i took neurofen till today and the back seems to be getting better, i have chest and shoulders in the morning so we'll see how that goes, someone said get a "sports massage" concentrating on the back...any opinions?

i took neurofen till today and the back seems to be getting better, i have chest and shoulders in the morning so we'll see how that goes, someone said get a "sports massage" concentrating on the back...any opinions?

A decent deep tissue massage can be class. I always feel amazing after them. You never realise how tight you are until after, deffo recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Record your squats, even if you have a trainer. Will give a great insight into all aspects of the lift.

Chest and shoulders this morning, back a little twingey but said id see how it goes

bench press
    empty x 20
    60Kg x 10
    stretch
    90 x 3
    100 x 1
    100 x 1
    stretch
    70 x 10

cross train 6 mins

Incline shoulder press + cable crossover press
    50KG

6mins uphill treadmill

stretch

Seated shoulder press
    bar x 10
    40Kg x 10
    45Kg x 9

Lateral raise 10Kg dumbell
    with
    front plate raise 15Kg

fitball rolls

Back held out and as of yet i can still only feel the slight twinge i could feel when i got up, still cant get passed the 100 bench but im not worried, it wast so long ago i couldnt get passed 60, good to get back in to it after the weekend, also booked sports massage for Saturday, hope to concentrate on lower back and see what happens!!

• Advertisement

Legs and back this morning

Squats
    bodyweight x 40
    Stretch
    60Kg x 12
    100Kg x 10
    150Kg x 8 Belt On
    stretch
    160Kg x 6
    170Kg x 4
    175Kg x 2**PB**

Deadlifts
    60Kg x 10
    90Kg x 10
    stretch
    120Kg x 8
    120Kg x 6
    Grip well and truly failing on last one, but didnt use straps, i really just need to man up and train the grip!!

Treadmill, 14% incline
    6 minutes

Pull ups
    unassisted, 6...bit of a break then went from 6 to 8...then to 10....very upper body weak this morning...or just fooked from squats...not to worry
    Assisted

Lat pulldown

Seated row

Barbell row
    empty bar x 10
    40Kg x 10
    40Kg x 10

fitness band crunches

As of 10.40 this morning my lower back isnt giving out!! hopefully it stays like that, sports massage booked for Saturday.....looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time:rolleyes:

Arms this morning, but before i get into it,

I had being doing lots of reading to figure why each of the last 3 Saturdays resulted in me doing my back in while curling, in the midst of all the reading i came across the line which read "tight hamstrings being the cause of lower back pain"

I started putting it together and it came to me, i squat on Thursday, and then im a little sore on Friday, and im really sore on Saturday...my damn hamstrings are at their tightest when i doing curls so a little momentum from the legs with dumbbells has put my lower back out for the last 3 weeks. So i hit the gym this morning armed with this info and said I'd do my arms but with no standing for curls and see how it goes, and it was fine, no strain and no injury and even better is that i thought I'd lift less but actually hit the same while seated so i was well chuffed with that!!

Warm up
    20Kg bar x 20
    stretches

Seated hanging bicep curls
    16Kg
    18Kg
    20Kg

Stretches

22Kg
    24Kg
    Stretches

Seated isolation barbell curls, 20Kg
    Pulse bottom and top then full
    Biceps and forearms dead at this stage

Tricep pull downs

stretch

Overhead tricep extensions

Tricep dip machine
    95Kg
    105Kg
    115Kg

So a total of 55 minutes and i didn't need any more, i felt really good about the workout and decided that yes you could stay and lift more but i have to accept that what i'd done was enough for this morning and i still have a lower back intact....sports massage later today, might post back how that was!!

Tricep dip machine
    95Kg
    105Kg
    115Kg

Ah Id love one of those machines in my gym.Is it hammerstrength?

I think so, looks sort of like this

http://lifefitness.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/image/media/CirSerTricep/?rfx_int=multi_segment_zoom2

I try to finish off on it but because its a machine andits not in the weight area there's normally loads of cardio bunnies using it too.....didnt have to queue this morning though so that was good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭here to be trained

Lat pulldown

what weight do u lift on the lat pulldown?

On the pull down...90-110 if my memory serves me..ill check it out this Thursday and let ya know

Chest and shoulders yesterday evening

Incline chest press
    empty bar x 20
    50Kg x 10
    60Kg x 8
    65Kg x 6

Stretch

Flat bench press
    60Kg x 10
    90Kg x 4
    100Kg x 2
    60Kg x 10

stretch
    6 minutes treadmill, 13% incline

single dumbell shoulder press
    16Kg
    18Kg
    20Kg

stretch

standing miltary press 40Kg

treadmill 6 minutes 14% incline(this nearly killed me...i hate cardio:mad:)

Seated Military press
    empty bar x 10
    40Kg x 10
    45Kg x 10

Lateral raise
    6Kg
    8Kg
    10Kg

shouder press machine(facing inwards)
    NON STOP
    45Kg x 10
    40Kg x 8
    35Kg x 6...assisted..after the lat raise these were just killers!!!

Fitness ball sit ups

enjoyed the workout...was quite thrilled to see some arm and chest definition while doing the standing military.....i really should invest in mirrors all around me:p

Legs and back this morning

squats
    bodyweight x 40
    bar x 20
    60Kg x 10
    100Kg x 8
    140Kg x 6
    175Kg x 5
    120Kg x 10
    Original plan was to go another 5 and hit the 180, there's something exciting about aiming for 4 20's on each side, but for the moment i'm sticking to the 175 and concentrating on depth, the 120s depth this morning was really good and it felt like a red hot elastic was burning through my legs for the last 4...got them up there and felt happy about it!

treadmill
    13% incline 6 minutes

stretch

Deadlifts
    60Kg x 10
    90Kg x 8
    120Kg x 6
    120Kg x 6
    now i know the weight has not increased but i really am working on grip here, for the first time the grip held (barely;)) but i got the 2 x 6 done. i'm actually happy with this, i know the weight is behind the squats but there is a very definite improvment in grip so we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks

Pull ups
    Jump and pull up
    Assisted hanging pullups

Negative chinups underhand grip

Lat pull down(hold at top for stretch 3 seconds then pull down and hold)
    45Kg x 8
    50Kg x 8
    55Kg x 8
    At this stage my poor arms are pumped up and really felt like they were under anesthetic....

Underhand seated row
    55Kg x 8
    60Kg x 8
    65Kg x 8

Thats it...my arms are gone, i can no longer feel them and slapping my forearms brings no feeling...i guess thats that:o

Fitness ball crunches

good workout...really enjoyed it...feeling back in the arms enough to type!!

Arms this morning

20Kg bar warm up x 30

Seated curls
    18Kg x 10
    20Kg x 8
    stretch
    22Kg x 6
    22Kg x 6
    stretch
    24Kg x 4
    24Kg x 3

Barbell isolation, 20Kg, 10 top 10 bottom 10 full

Close grip bench
    40Kg x 12
    50Kg x 10
    60Kg x 8

Cable pulldown
    35Kg x 12
    37.5 x 10
    40.0 x 8
    42.5 x 5

Cable overhead
    30Kg x 10
    32.5 x 8
    35.0 x 6

Tricep press machine
    95Kg x 8
    105 x 6
    115 x 4
    115 x 3

Finished with hamstring stretches cause they felt tight!!!!!

• Advertisement

I dont know what it is about early workouts, if ive to be up at 5.15AM its almost like the anticipation keeps me awake so even going to bed at 9 i'm still awake at 11 thinking of the next mornings workout, but if i go do some cardio to get me asleep im tired the next morning......just a thought!!

Chest and shoulders this morning
    Bench press
    Bar x 20
    Stretch
    60Kg x 10
    90Kg x 3
    100Kg x 1(still assisted, this is the 100Kg monkey on my back!!)
    60Kg x 10
    60Kg x 10

Incline chest press
    60Kg x 10
    60Kg x 8
    60Kg x 6

Lever chest press with lever seated fly

Single arm dumbell shoulder press
    15Kg x 10
    17.5KG x 10
    20Kg x 8

Military press 40Kg