Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwifery Led Unit

Options
  • 09-01-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Planning to have my baby in Cavan MLU.

Any experiences shared greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

It's fantastic - you definitely won't be disappointed - it's like private care but free. Have you been in to see the birth rooms yet?

The pools are fantastic! Drogheda has so many women wanting to get on the scheme and Cavan seems to have very little interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grianmhar

Oh great, thanks so much for this.
    Yes we got to see one of the rooms,
    very impressive especially when we saw the ordinary delivery room...
    I nearly cried looking at it!!

The mid wife we spoke to filled me with confidence and was really lovely to talk to.

It's my first if you haven't already guessed and I'm really hoping that there will be no complications that mean I cannot deliver in the MLU.

Yes Cavan does seem to be quite slack as regards women opting for the MLU.

Great to hear positive things, I must admit it has all been very positive so far,
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Yes there's a HUGE difference between the birth suite and 'delivery' rooms.....and it's so nice that you can ring them night or day with any questions. How did you hear about the MLU? Were you told about it at your booking visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grianmhar

Hi San Fran,
    I, first, heard about the Led Unit from my GP who is great.
    She just as concerned for youe emotional well-being as she is for
    your health(pregnant or otherwise). I'm very lucky to be a pateint of hers as she cannot take any more patients now as she is full up! I misunderstood her, initially, when she explained that the Led Unit was "accross the way" ... I thought she meant in a seperate building to the hospital and so I dismissed it, entirely for fear of complications...

I don't remember how I found out the ins and puts of it. It may have been when I phoned Cavan hospital maternity ward and spoke to the midwives when I was researching my options re the delivery(in several hospitals). I spoke to one of the midwives and, instantly, she filled me with confidence. Really, really lovely woman. No pressure to go with the Led Unit and so understanding, plenty of time to speak to me which i didn't expect. She invited myself and my husband over to have a guided tour... I was concerned re epidural as I had heard that there was no possibility of getting one, if you decide you want one mid-labour. I was so delighted to hear that this was not the case. In fact, this is what swayed me to go with the Led Unit, I couldn't possibly go knowing that it wasn't at least an option. It's peace of mind whether I use it or not... You just can't stay in the Led Unit to get it. You have to move to the delivery room... which at that stage I'm sure I won't mind!!

It's great to hear that you loved it, as I said I've heard nothing but praise for it so fingers crossed I have no complications...

It seems to be a general consensus that consultants are better involved as little as possible as they are eager to force the labour along rather than allowing the body to do its work in its own time... the Led Unit promote a very much mother-friendly environment.

Thanks again for filling me in and any other advice is very welcome!

Thanks a million.

Advertisement