Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signal Drop

• 09-01-2011 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Recently I bought a Strong 7100 HD satellite receiver and pointed it at 28 east using a 80cm solid dish and was delighted with the result. I was getting a strength signal of between 96 & 98% and a quality signal of between 80 & 90% on practically all channels.
    The on/off switch began giving trouble so I returned the receiver within a week of purchase and was given a new replacement. However when I plugged in the new receiver the signal strength remained the same but the quality signal has dropped down to between 60 & 70%. Why would this be? I’ve checked all the connections both on the set and at the LNB. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Different receiver calibration.
    Change in the weather.
    Water ingress into cable or other damage such as kinking.
    Dish moved.
    Tree growing in signal path.
    Local interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Liameter wrote: »
    Change in the weather.
    Dish moved.
    Local interference.

....and do you see that partridge, just there in the line of sight, in that pear tree...:D....sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Change in the weather.
    Dish moved.
    Local interference.
    Probably the receiver calibration 'cos I checked all the connections, well there's only two. I'll see how it behaves over the next while Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Too many variables!

Too many variables!
    Not sure what you mean there.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

juuge wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean there.............

Liamter just mentioned 5 things there of what it could be lol .... They be called Variables...:D

Liamter just mentioned 5 things there of what it could be lol .... They be called Variables...:D

Gotcha! - I didn't know whether you meant Liamter gave too many variables or that there are too many variables.:)

So the procedure is to eliminate each possibility, one by one.

After trying all the obvious things like connections, dish alignment, obstructions etc. I noticed that the firmware on the replacement box was not the latest version so I downloaded the newest one from the strong web site and voilà 95% quality signal.

Ah, well, if you'd told us that it didn't have the latest firmware... ;-)

However, I'm pleased that my suggestion "different receiver calibration" was correct, so the fix was simple.

• Advertisement

Ah, well, if you'd told us that it didn't have the latest firmware... ;-)
    I presumed that because it was a new box it would have had the latest firmware. If I'd known it didn't have the latest firmware I wouldn't have posted. Thanks for the suggestions:)

Advertisement