Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill Advice

• 09-01-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm looking at treadmills at the moment however I'm at the slight disadvantage of knowing nothing about them, whats good, whats bad, what brands are better than others, what shops to buy from etc. so any chance of a little help?

My main aim is to lose a bit of weight and what I'm looking for is just something I can put in front of the tv so I can walk for an hour while watching something entertaining. It doesnt need to have any fanciness or cool on-board computer that can do all sorts of amazing stuff but foldaway would be a big plus as I'd prefer it not take up an entire room. One bit of relevant info, I'm just about on the cusp of the 150kg limit so that seems to rule out a load of treadmills that I've seen so far.

At this stage what I've come up with is a Cintura Sports Olympic Deluxe - http://www.irishsportsdirect.ie/catalog/treadmills/cintura-sports-olympic-deluxe-treadmill going for €759.99 but to be honest the only reason I've picked that is its the cheapest 150kg one I've found so if theres better or cheaper I'm open to anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks BeepBeep67 thats a good thread alright. A bit worried now about noise levels though as I'm in a 3rd floor apartment so might be a bit too loud for the people on the floor below. Might have to rethink this.

Thinking further about this, does anyone have an idea if an Elliptical Trainer might be a better idea than a treadmill?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

I can't help you with the equipment questions but I do want to wish you all the best with whatever you get. Don't forget, the longest journey begins with one step.

It may not suit you at present but you could save yourself the money by just getting outside and walking in the fresh air - local park, trail, roadway etc. It's all free.

Thanks Burgman but I've tried just going out before I found the weather is just too convenient an excuse to sit on the couch instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are an awful lot of treadmills being used as clothes airers around the country. Why do you think you'd be worse at finding excuses not to go on a treadmill (so noisy! those poor neighbours) than you are at finding excuses not to go outside?

Well I'm sure I'll come up with something inventive when I'm suitably lazy however my primary issue of not wanting to go out because of the weather or because frankly there is plenty more entertaining things I could be doing would be rendered moot because I can just stand up from the couch, take a few steps to the side and start walking (or elliptical-ing :p) while still watching whatever movie or tv show that'd I'd be watching otherwise. I'm not saying I'm going to be a saint or anything but even if I only use it once a week then its more exercise than I'm getting now which is none.

Advertisement