Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official "How the hell did he do that?!?!" showboat/skills thread.

• 09-01-2011 11:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

ok, I have seen some pretty amazing pieces of skill this year that seem to have gone unnoticed or just unreported here so I thought I'd start a thread where we could share the insanity we see with each other.

I will start with two ridiculous pieces of skill from Palermo's Josip Ilicic.
    signed from Maribor this summer he was pretty much unknown and not a lot was expected from him but dear lord the boy has some balls, he pulls off the impossible week in, week out and manages to make simple things look special.

Just to get the ball rolling.

How the hell did he do this?!?!

or this?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Here's a few recent ones. I'm particularly impressed with Taarabt but Jay Emmanuel Thomas's fairly neat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seaneh wrote: »
    bit old...

sorry should read your post.

apoligies

haha, It's a great goal.
    I picked it as my favourite goal of the last decade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

bit old...

always worth a post though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

OPENROAD wrote: »
    always worth a post though :)

Not if your a toon fan or your name is Nikos Dabizas. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

bazual wrote: »

Im sure even Dabidaz can look back and appreciate that goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Great thread Seaneh.

Ibrahim Afellay, SKILLS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Been short listed for goal the year by FIFA.

Prob seen already, but still worth look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I posted this earlier in Spurs thread it's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I love the subtle showboating, like Anderson at 1.20, and Taarabt at 2.07. This episode seems devoted to Taarabt, but in general it's the only watchable part of soccer am these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The commentary on the Best goal makes it, the George Weah one is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Does Taarabt have any substance to him or is he purely just a showboater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

flahavaj wrote: »
    He certainly is doing it at Championship level. We'll see for sure how good he is next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I posted this earlier in Spurs thread it's brilliant

That's a fake viral video dude.

flahavaj wrote: »

I've only seen a few games the past two seasons but he's been the best on the pitch each time. If he can do the same in the PL he'll be a real star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    That's a fake viral video dude.
    I know it's CGI but I think it's class :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I've only seen a few games the past two seasons but he's been the best on the pitch each time. If he can do the same in the PL he'll be a real star.

Captain of Qpr at 21 scored 12 goals in the league in 26 appearances so far . Only seen him A few times but he looks to be real good , maybe he just found his level at the championship ?. Hopefully we see a lot more of him next season if they get promoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

bazual wrote: »

Thats not quite true, Bergkamp got quite an ovation for that goal from the toon fans IIRC. You cant really complain if you concede a goal like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

MOG7 wrote: »
    Was that Iarflaith Davoren?

Whats with the stupid enforced pause:mad:

Nice skills tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This has probably been viewed to death but it still mesmerises me:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Something special that kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

57 seconds in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Fantastic thread idea, opening two clips are astounding, I could watch that second one all day.

Juan Mata during training, NUTS!

And Calvente's ludicrous penalty has to be there aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dunno why we get so caught up in some of these "amazing" pieces of skill.
    I mean the majority of these guys have nothing to do all day but play soccer and a good gang of them get very well paid for it.

I'd be more amazed at a player who can consistently land a dead ball on the same spot ever time, or use both his feet with equal quality. Far more useful skills on a pitch and far more becoming of a professional footballer.

Yep, all nice to see the skillz and adds to the entertainment, but lets not go over the top.

kippy wrote: »

Because they're amazing.
    kippy wrote:
    Far more useful skills

In the OPs post he posted two tricks from Ilicic.

The first one created a goalscoring oppurtunity for someone else, and the second for himself, I don't see how that's not incredibly useful on the football pitch.

Most of the links put up so far have led to people scoring goals while using there "amazing" skillfullness to get past people and create said chances.

Don't get ahead of yourself writing it off, just because it looks "fancy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

MOG7 wrote: »
    Was that Iarflaith Davoren?
    Yeah

I mean the majority of these guys have nothing to do all day but play soccer and a good gang of them get very well paid for it.

I'd be more amazed at a player who can consistently land a dead ball on the same spot ever time, or use both his feet with equal quality. Far more useful skills on a pitch and far more becoming of a professional footballer.

Yep, all nice to see the skillz and adds to the entertainment, but lets not go over the top.

chill_pill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Yeah

Nice one, he used to live only across the road from me, was in my class in school too. I was talking to him over christmas and he was saying how the stuff that Ndo does in training are out of this world, nice bit of skill from Davoren in that piece though.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Because they're amazing.

In the OPs post he posted two tricks from Ilicic.

The first one created a goalscoring oppurtunity for someone else, and the second for himself, I don't see how that's not incredibly useful on the football pitch.

Most of the links put up so far have led to people scoring goals while using there "amazing" skillfullness to get past people and create said chances.

Don't get ahead of yourself writing it off, just because it looks "fancy".
    Because for every one you see linked to there are another three to five (at least) that dont come off or look incredibly stupid. Yep, they have a place on the football pitch, but its the least you would expect that a professional would be able to do something that joe soap wouldnt be able to do with a ball.
    The issues for me are that a lot of these professionals cant place a dead ball (corners, free kicks) or indeed use both feet, which we should expect to be the bare minimum for a professional, not an "amazingly gifted" player.

• Advertisement

chill_pill.jpg

Epic picture.

Because for every one you see linked to there are another three to five (at least) that dont come off or look incredibly stupid. Yep, they have a place on the football pitch, but its the least you would expect that a professional would be able to do something that joe soap wouldnt be able to do with a ball.
    The issues for me are that a lot of these professionals cant place a dead ball (corners, free kicks) or indeed use both feet, which we should expect to be the bare minimum for a professional, not an "amazingly gifted" player.

The title of the thread isn't "Are fancy tricks useful on the pitch and should players practice more dead ball pieces instead?".

It's about showboating and it's class to watch and kinda funny when it fails.

Let's try and keep this thread to the showboating videos.

But we're not creaming ourselves over the ones that don't work.

We're creaming ourselves over the ones that do.

As Mars Bar said, we should leave the thread to the videos, as that's the purpose.

It's like the argument of why buy a Ferrari when a Fiat Uno does the same job. And it's the same answer: Because it's cooler.:cool:

Footballers are being paid to entertain us, and most players don't have the skills or confidence to try these tricks when they could get fired(sold) if they consistently mess it up, so when they do try it, we should be allowed to be interested by it.

Love this goal:

He could very easily have just hit it first time into the corner, but he embarrassed one of the best defenders in the world, entertained the crowd, and hit it into the corner. I know which version I'd prefer every time.

mars bar wrote: »
    The title of the thread isn't "Are fancy tricks useful on the pitch and should players practice more dead ball pieces instead?".

It's about showboating and it's class to watch and kinda funny when it fails.

Let's try and keep this thread to the showboating videos.

The title of the thread is "The Official "how the hell did he do that?!?!" showboat/skills thread."
    I've been discussing how they did that, ie they majority are professional players, they have nothing else to do but practice then hope for the best that it comes off when the require it.
    For me its not that amazing as to "how the hell did they do that"

That being said if you want to end this thread now there is NO better showboater in the world than C Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The title of the thread is "The Official "how the hell did he do that?!?!" showboat/skills thread."
    I've been discussing how they did that, ie they majority are professional players, they have nothing else to do but practice then hope for the best that it comes off when the require it.
    For me its not that amazing as to "how the hell did they do that".

Yeah but you've still single handedly dragged the thread into the realm of a debate that no one in here really wants to have. We just want to see Skillz that pay the Billz :)

cson wrote: »
    Yeah but you've still single handedly dragged the thread into the realm of a debate that no one in here really wants to have. We just want to see Skillz that pay the Billz :)

The head over to youtube, jaysus.

That being said if you want to end this thread now there is NO better showboater in the world than C Ronaldo.

There are many, many, many more skilful players than Cris. Ronaldo.

The head over to youtube, jaysus.

Why don't you head over to pointlessdebate.com and have a moan there?

Why don't you head over to pointlessdebate.com and have a moan there?

You've not really grasped the concept of a forum with a tag line of "now ye're talking" have you?

Right, bowing out of this particular "converstation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Ah sure while there are oldies being posted..... Heres one of my favourite newcastle goals of all time. Gotta love Ginola.

Here's one we should all be good at! :D

Ladies have skillz too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

This would have been one of the best goals ever if it had went in.

Everything about it is lovely. The little flick pass from Ronaldo, the roulette, rounding the keeper, just everything but the finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement