Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiple cuffs

• 09-01-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Wel lads. Me being a junior member im curious about this. Saw in the uniform thread that some of ye carry multiple sets of cuffs and also saw that some of ye are unsure as the whether it is ok to do so or not. Ive always considered it but never really looked into carrying a second pair. One of my dads work colleagues used to be in the Police in England and said he has a set of Rigid Hiatts and and Hinged S&Ws which he said I could have if I want as there no use to him anymore. Anyone know what the story is with using the non-issue cuffs?

Cheers in advance
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

probably better off asking your super instead of random people on an internet forum, atleast you'll get a straight yes or no then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Non issue makes are not covered by AGS. You use the cuffs you were trained with....full stop. If you want to purchase a second set then get the same as issue be it Hiatts or ASP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Hally_89

probably better off asking your super instead of random people on an internet forum, atleast you'll get a straight yes or no then.

True. Cheers anyway lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 d00gle74

I always carry a second official set for past 10yrs or so. Never been an objection by any supt/insp over that time, in fact the contrary is true. Came in handy on numerous occasions. Ps Supt/Insp did n't ask where I got them, so I aint telling in this forum except they dont belong to another member!

Im sure my super would have no problem with members carrying another set tbh. Often happens that we are out numbered with limited amounts of cuffs. Thats the reason I asked if it was ok to carry non offical ones like S&W as they would be alot more dependable. Ill ask the super during the week anyway

• Advertisement

Hally_89 wrote: »
    Im sure my super would have no problem with members carrying another set tbh. Often happens that we are out numbered with limited amounts of cuffs. Thats the reason I asked if it was ok to carry non offical ones like S&W as they would be alot more dependable. Ill ask the super during the week anyway

S&W are official cuffs. They are the ones I had issued to me. However it is not advisable to carry cuffs of a different make to the ones you have been issued with. As I have said before I carry two pairs.....but both are the the same S&W ones.

Didnt know that S&W were issue for some members. Cheers anyway lads got the info that i wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

I carry two (one issued one procured, not robbed!) on the especially on fri/sat nights, bank holidays etc - purely because we get a good bit of public order in our district and when it kicks off there are usually multiple culprits need arresting. (a few years back they were issuing s&w, then hiatts i think, now the latest bunch out all seem to have asp cuffs).
    They have come in handy (from a safety point of view) on loads of occasions. That said - as the lads here have mentioned AGS won't stand over non issue equipment, so have a long hard think. If you work in a relatively quiet area i doubt theres any need for a second pair. To be honest they get in the way, and its just another thing that can rattle and fall out when your running, best keep it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Can you use zip cuffs? They weigh nothing but if used to often it would get expensive.

Zambia wrote: »
    Can you use zip cuffs? They weigh nothing but if used to often it would get expensive.

Only Public Order members on PO deployment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Talking about non issue cuffs,I've seen a few guards with this leverage cap on the asp,is this allowed or what way does the land lye regarding this ?

asp_leverage_cap.jpg

CO19 wrote: »
    Talking about non issue cuffs,I've seen a few guards with this leverage cap on the asp,is this allowed or what way does the land lye regarding this ?

asp_leverage_cap.jpg

All official ASP modifications can be done by an Armor in the depot......for some reason if you send them up they will put them one.....why you cant screw it on yourself I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

All official ASP modifications can be done by an Armor in the depot......for some reason if you send them up they will put them one.....why you cant screw it on yourself I dont know.

That's crazy ! so if you want to put one of those caps on your asp you've to send it to have an armor screw it on ? madness at it's best :rolleyes:

Advertisement