Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ease of Employment

Options
  • 10-01-2011 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey all i'm off to Sydney and i'm wondering how fast can i expect to get a job? I really will work at anything for the first few weeks.

I'm only asking because all i hear about Oz is that there is jobs everywhere, but i'd like to hear it from someone who is actually in Sydney

I've looked at alot of job sites but can anyone recommend a good one, also if there is a good place to gind job listings once i set down:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

How long is a piece of string?

Considering you gave us zero information about what you do, what job your looking for, what experience you have, how fast you are going to start looking, who you know etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

hussey wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

Considering you gave us zero information about what you do, what job your looking for, what experience you have, how fast you are going to start looking, who you know etc etc

sorry

I'm heading on a 1 year WHV,
    I have a BA in Business with Event management
    I've also got 5 years of retail experience, a little bit of experience in rigging(setting up and breaking down sets).
    Worked for a month in London, in a construction yard doing steal fixing

I'm willing to work at anything for the short term, i mean shop assistant, work in a cafe etc

I also plan to start looking once i set down in Oz, was hoping to getting some stuff done before i left but all the sites I've on seem to be more career opportunities as opposed to short term unskilled work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well cafes and the likes of casual labour wouldn't really use websites to advertise, so that's why you see more career focused jobs.

If you are willing to work as anything as you said then you could pick up a job fairly quickly. (prob best to take a few days to recover from jet lag and find somewhere to stay etc)

If you are looking for a career (with possible sponsorship etc) then this can take a while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

hussey wrote: »
    well cafes and the likes of casual labour wouldn't really use websites to advertise, so that's why you see more career focused jobs.

If you are willing to work as anything as you said then you could pick up a job fairly quickly. (prob best to take a few days to recover from jet lag and find somewhere to stay etc)

If you are looking for a career (with possible sponsorship etc) then this can take a while longer.

Cheers man, i pretty much assumed as much with regards to the net.

Could you recommend something or somewhere local for job listings, which papers are best to look at for listings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

When on a HWV, it is stated that you can only stay in the same job for 6 months max.
    How strict is this? Can you only get out of this if an employer sponsors you??
    Also will a lot of companies not be interested in taking you on as you can only stay for 6 months with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Devil08 wrote: »
    When on a HWV, it is stated that you can only stay in the same job for 6 months max.
    How strict is this? Can you only get out of this if an employer sponsors you??
    Also will a lot of companies not be interested in taking you on as you can only stay for 6 months with them?
    they are very strict with this rule,if you work more than six months,they will not let you get a 2nd year visa.

You can get out of this if you get sponsored.It depends on what you do,if you dont have any qualifications it can be hard to get sponsored.

It can be a problem when employers hear you are on the WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

elspecia wrote: »
    I have a BA in Business with Event management
    I've also got 5 years of retail experience, a little bit of experience in rigging(setting up and breaking down sets).
    Worked for a month in London, in a construction yard doing steal fixing

I'm willing to work at anything for the short term, i mean shop assistant, work in a cafe etc
    If you are willing to work in cafes/shops then find casual work won't be an issue.
    as for event management, there is work available in that area too. Oz puts on a huge amount of festivals, which require lot of organisation, but the bad news is that the season is underway.
    Dazzler88 wrote: »
    they are very strict with this rule,if you work more than six months,they will not let you get a 2nd year visa.
    <snip> mod - taking this out.

You can get out of this if you get sponsored.It depends on what you do,if you dont have any qualifications it can be hard to get sponsored.
    Again, not true.
    Most people I know that are sponsored are in construction, or some form thereof, qualifications not an issue. A huge amount of tickets are required for a lot of construction jobs, and by the time you are gettign sponsored, they suffice.

Mellor wrote: »
    Again, not true.
    Most people I know that are sponsored are in construction, or some form thereof, qualifications not an issue. A huge amount of tickets are required for a lot of construction jobs, and by the time you are gettign sponsored, they suffice.
    i know very little people who have no qualifications and get sponsored in their first 6 months to a year.

My mate got turned back at Perth airport because he had breached the terms of his visa by working more than 6 months with the same employer.

Well, that's just you and also you just said it was hard to get sponsored you never mentioned a time frame. You obviously don't know many in construction, as there are plenty of sponsored crews out here that are basically working in totallt unrelated fields.

Like I said, I know plenty in construction who went this route.

As for you mate in perth. One person getting sent doesn't mean it applies to everyone. (which is what I said, its not actively policed). So your statement is still wrong, and slightly scaremoungering. I accidentially overstayed my first job. Obviously you shold never plan for this, aim for it etc.
    But we should prob drop that issue, see husseys edit above. (sorry hussey, was trying to state fact without, suggesting it, but agree with edit in hindsight)

Mellor wrote: »
    Well, that's just you and also you just said it was hard to get sponsored you never mentioned a time frame. You obviously don't know many in construction, as there are plenty of sponsored crews out here that are basically working in totallt unrelated fields.
    im not saying that im right and your wrong,i was just telling her my opinon from my experience.I know a lot of lads in Construction,the ones that get sponsored are the ones that are chippys,sparkys or plumbers.The tradies,i dont know many construction labourers getting sponsored,im not saying it doesnt happen..

• Advertisement

Well obviously I assumed has been your experience/opinion. I was just point out that it isn't actually the case a lot of the time, lets people be optimistic.

I know a fair few people who are essentially labourers (or some other manual job not on the SOL) without qualifications who are sponsored. Basically, if you are with a company carring out work like that and they are going to sponsor you, its safe to assume that you are in some shape or form elevated above the entry level position, but still basically a manual job. There are a number of positions on the SOL that accodates this, from memory foreperson, or project manager and the like.

Also;
    most chippys,sparkys or plumbers don't have qualification for oz. Yes, they have served their time in Ireland, but a lot need to pass the test/course to gain the oz equivlent (FAS isn't accepted). This is one of the differences between 457 and PR, also apples to those with formal degree. Getting these recognaised can be a expensive and time consuming process.
    I'm aware this isn't what either of us were talking about, but thought I mention it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Having an occupation on or off the SOL is of little use for 457 sponsorship, that is now determined by it own list.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/457occupations.pdf

That's the list I was refering to, didn't know the correct acronym or name. thanks for the link

Besides, its just a more complete ASCO list (which the SOL is extracted from). So every SOL job appears*, plus a god few more.

*Obviously I haven't checked every job, but I assume its true

Advertisement