Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle route between Galway and Cork?

• 10-01-2011 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all. I've never spent much time in the West, so I'm planning to change that this summer with a trip betwen Galway and Cork (haven't decided where I'll start yet).

I've done some faffing about, and this route looks OKish: Clicky for Google Maps.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I picked it mostly on going through parks/loughs and avoiding major roads (save for the stretch between Killarney park and Cork, where it seems unavoidable), so comments from someone with actual experience in that neck of the woods would be welcome. Any tips on the logistics of bike hire with start/end points a few hundred miles apart would be good as well.

Edit: Just to add - I want to start/finish in Galway but I'm not bothered about Cork. If anyone can think of a better route then please suggest it - the only restriction is keeping the distance to under 300 miles, preferably 250. I think this looks pretty good: Killarney to Galway via Ring of Kerry and Dingle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Does anyone have any thoughts? I picked it mostly on going through parks/loughs and avoiding major roads (save for the stretch between Killarney park and Cork, where it seems unavoidable), so comments from someone with actual experience in that neck of the woods would be welcome.

I'd suggest two changes:

1. Instead of taking the inland route across North Clare, I would take the much more scenic coast route. Take the N67 as far as Ballyvaughan. Then take the R479 around Black Head but cut across via Doolin to join the R478 and follow this past the Cliffs of Moher to Lahinch.

2. Between Killarney and Cork, leave the main N22 (a left as you come up a short hill leaving Macroom) and take the R618 to Cork City via Carrigadrohid, Coachford, Dripsey and Inniscarra. Where the main N22 is very busy and relatively unscenic, the other road is much more scenic and popular with cyclists. It's even 3km shorter :)

Edit: Just to add - I want to start/finish in Galway but I'm not bothered about Cork. If anyone can think of a better route then please suggest it - the only restriction is keeping the distance to under 300 miles, preferably 250. I think this looks pretty good: Killarney to Galway via Ring of Kerry and Dingle.

Sorry, missed this bit first time around and I didn't realise Cork wasn't essential...

If you are going as far as Dingle, it would be a bit of a tragedy not to do the Slea Head Drive. Adds 35-55km depending on which options and diversions you take. Super road surfaces, sublime scenery in places:

Streetview #1
    Streetview #2

There are big gaps in the Streetview coverage of Slea Head Drive for some reason, including the prettiest bits around Clogher Head. So the above doesn't really do it justice at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Honest TeeJay

Thanks for the tips - will add the extension to the Dingle part of the trip.

As for north Clare, I'm quite interested in seeing the burren. Will I get much of that on the coast route?

If you switch to Satellite view in Google Maps you can see that the Burren rock formations extend all the way up to the tip of Black Head in the NW of the county. You can see it if you switch to Streetview in that area too (e.g. here). The area designated as the Burren National Park is a just a very small fraction of the Burren. I prefer the coastal route but I guess all these things are highly subjective!

Cool, thanks. Here's a revised route: Clicky.

Any thoughts on the stretch from Tralee to Tarbert? Also, how is the terrain along the route? Flat, hilly, etc.

Thanks for all your help so far!

• Advertisement

Your first version showed you going from Tralee to Dingle via the Connor Pass but this revised version shows you taking the main road through Anascaul. Stick with the original plan and take the pass. The north side of it has sections of overhanging rock and is pretty spectacular without being too hard, provided you don't slaughter yourself with the pace. There are super views from the top and a great descent into Dingle.

Another variation I notice is that the first route showed you going directly from Sneem to Moll's Gap but the new route shows you going via Kenmare. In this instance, I would take your new route, i.e. via Kenmare.

As regards the terrain along the route, it's a mixture of everything really. As regards the climbs you'd put a name on, you're probably just talking about the Cliffs of Moher, Coomakista (between Waterville and Caherdaniel), and Moll's Gap (between Kenmare and Killarney). Assuming you're reasonably fit to be taking on this trip in the first place, you're not going to find any of these especially hard. The only climb that's likely to challenge you is the Connor Pass but even that is very do-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

1. The Cork route suggested by Cantalach is the only sensible route into or out of Cork coming to and from Kerry.
    2. N22 from Ballyvourney to Killarney is busy but has a fine hard shoulder all the way. However the N22 from Macroom to Ballyvourney is 12km of narrow winding roads with very busy traffic. About 5kmoutside Macroom you could take a left turn at the Mons Bar and then the next right. This will take you on a rural road parallel to N22. It will bring you back out onto N22 at Ballvourney thus avoiding the worst section of N22.
    3 if you go as far as Dingle and don't cycle Slea Hd then you need your head examined. It is IMHO the best 50km circuit in the country.
    4 TralEe to Tarbert. Hug the coast via Kerry head, Ballyheigue and Ballybunion. Avoid inland Listowel route.
    5 as Cantalach suggested once in Clare head up the coast. The best of the burden is along the coast. Liscannor to Fanore to Ballyvaughan is simply stunning. Great places to stop and refresh also.

Enjoy.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Slea Hd [...] is IMHO the best 50km circuit in the country.

It would be hard to make a case against that!

OK, here's the latest with the above taken into account: Clicky (now starting at Killarney and ending in Galway - I reckon that'd be more fun for a weekend of celebration).

What do you guys think? We're getting a fair bit over 300 miles but I guess I'll only do this once.

Looks good! Just a couple of observations arising from the change of direction...

You'll now be climbing to Moll's Gap from the Killarney side, which is a slightly harder direction because there are some steep sections around Ladies View. Nothing too hard but just so you know. That said, an advantage to this side is that the lower speed will afford you better opportunity to take it all in as you go though what is probably the most scenic part of the national park.

You'll also be doing the Connor Pass in the opposite direction to what you proposed before. The gradients are a bit easier and more constant on this side which, depending on how much of a masochist you are, might be a good or bad thing. But on the downside, the road to the pass from the Dingle side is wide and well engineered with two-lanes and narrow shoulders so it doesn't feel anywhere near as 'epic' as the narrow single lane road that clings to the side of the mountain on the north side of the pass.

• Advertisement

Cool, looks like we're there. Too bad about missing the fun side of the Connor Pass but I defo want to finish in Galway.

Thanks for all your help with this - I'll buy you a pint if you live anywhere on the route.

You're very welcome. I see you're new on the forum so I'll cheekily remind you that you should click the little thumbs up 'thanks' button under any post you want to thank :)

Enjoy the trip!

Advertisement