Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moodle Down

• 10-01-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Why in gods name has moodle been down for the past 48 hours, right before exam time,+? thank you ITB, as usual you fail in all the basic requirements of even a basic school.

Also why has there been no update or information what so ever, either on the website or through our student email accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Mine hasn't been working for months, good thing I had all the notes from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Why in gods name has moodle been down for the past 48 hours, right before exam time,+? thank you ITB, as usual you fail in all the basic requirements of even a basic school.

Also why has there been no update or information what so ever, either on the website or through our student email accounts.

The entire moodle system was down worldwide. so nothing to do with the college in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

The entire moodle system was down worldwide. so nothing to do with the college in fairness

You sure about that?

Can't find a news article to say so, and the number of moodle sites is in the thousands, and you'd think if it was down worldwide it'd make some sort of news. Also the fact it's moodle.itb.ie implies that it's hosted as a subdomain of itb.ie on their webspace/servers. Essentially it's just a content manager and it's open source, so i could set up a moodle site.

If it was down worldwide my best guess would be that it'd be a bad update, however even if your using Joomla or Durpal etc, it's suggested you backup before every single update, therefore if it is a bad update you can simply restore it to a previous version. The fact it was down for more than 48 hours I think is crazy, and it's the college's only online learning space, so I do think it's their fault it was down, regardless if it was them who caused it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Maynooth's was working fine so I hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

KonFusion wrote: »
    You sure about that?

Can't find a news article to say so, and the number of moodle sites is in the thousands, and you'd think if it was down worldwide it'd make some sort of news. Also the fact it's moodle.itb.ie implies that it's hosted as a subdomain of itb.ie on their webspace/servers. Essentially it's just a content manager and it's open source, so i could set up a moodle site.

If it was down worldwide my best guess would be that it'd be a bad update, however even if your using Joomla or Durpal etc, it's suggested you backup before every single update, therefore if it is a bad update you can simply restore it to a previous version. The fact it was down for more than 48 hours I think is crazy, and it's the college's only online learning space, so I do think it's their fault it was down, regardless if it was them who caused it.

Ya could be right just going by what i read on facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

Moodle was working fine for me over the past few days. i was logged in once or twice a day over the past week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

To update the thread, college have said they have no idea why it was down, but (I imagine) paid gobs of money to no less than: Microsoft, McAffee, their network provider and probably a few more to come in and look and say basically "it's grand".

KonFusion wrote: »
    You sure about that?

I think moodle is hosted on a virtual server in the college.

Oh and duey, I would have done that for a much better price :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

There's only one guy looking after moodle monday to friday... anything that happens on the weekend is probably resolved by the guy either through the goodness of his heart or for buttons from the college.

It seems to go down... a lot on the weekend, I assume this is due to the fact that lecturers usually leave deadlines till 11:59pm submission on a Sunday for major things... and if you imagine the numbers in some first year and buisness years, that could equate out to on average 50 to 100 people attempting to upload around a 20mb file all at around the same time to the server.

Just like a game server, the thing probably craps out under the strain, and a little while later someone restarts it.

To be honest, the numbers in ITB don't really dictate a better service then that.. basically I don't think it goes down just because they're evil genuis's that like to screw us over on the weekends.... ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

brendanL wrote: »
    They're evil genuis's that like to screw us over on the weekends....

I wouldn't say genius's....and evils a bit harsh, but you're entitled to your opinion :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement