Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaky pipe :-(

• 10-01-2011 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Got a leaky pipe.. pictured below.. x marks the leak.. it's a very small leak.

Image0213_1.jpg

Unfortunately I've no idea where to turn off the water, and the landlord isnt knocking about for the next few days...

any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I am working in south Roscommon tomorrow so if you are in that area take a photo of the fitting and get a new one and phone me and i will fit it for you tomorrow evening.

o861529176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

surely theres a washing machine valve feeding the Y piece? at the bottom of the pic I can't see what its connected to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sparkpea wrote: »
    surely theres a washing machine valve feeding the Y piece? at the bottom of the pic I can't see what its connected to...

That is the piece connecting to the washing machine.. but the leak is at the side that goes to the tap I think..

I have a bucket underneath it at the moment.. gonna head in to homebase or b&q today and try to get something to sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If pipe x goes to the tap its piped incorrectly as it means a flexi hose is going to the tap.

If it is a flexi hose homebase is not going to be able to sort this.

This is going to need a plumber to do a pipe re run.

If pipe x goes to the tap its piped incorrectly as it means a flexi hose is going to the tap. This is going to need a plumber to do a pipe re run.

The guy who owns the place is a bit of a jack of no trades, so he could well have made up another one of his what I've learned to call "bespoke" solutions. He is not liable for repairs of the house in the agreement I have with him, so I have to fix it myself..

It's a very small hole, is there a plumbing bandage or something I could wrap around it.. It's only leaking about 2 litres an hour, have a bucket under it at the moment..

it never ends.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Bit of PTFE tape, wrap it around thread and re-screw on fitting should sort it....Well thats if the leak is coming from the fitting, if its the Y piece is cracked then all good advise above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The guy who owns the place is a bit of a jack of no trades, so he could well have made up another one of his what I've learned to call "bespoke" solutions. He is not liable for repairs of the house in the agreement I have with him, so I have to fix it myself..

It's a very small hole, is there a plumbing bandage or something I could wrap around it.. It's only leaking about 2 litres an hour, have a bucket under it at the moment..

it never ends.. :(

Thats not a small hole.
    mad m wrote: »
    Bit of PTFE tape, wrap it around thread and re-screw on fitting should sort it....Well thats if the leak is coming from the fitting, if its the Y piece is cracked then all good advise above...

That wont work,

Your best bet is to either replace this propperly or make something up.

If your making something up i would be cutting all 3 pipes and joining them with a copper T and jublee clips...
    wither that or replace the pipe back to the mains with copper/pex and then join another T

Hi Lads.. i got some of that Self Amalgamating Tape.. as suggested by the guy in B&Q... I have the leak temp marked with a black piece of masking tape.. but here's the question..

pipes_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi Lads.. i got some of that Self Amalgamating Tape.. as suggested by the guy in B&Q... I have the leak temp marked with a black piece of masking tape.. but here's the question..

pipes_2.jpg
    Looks like stop valve twist to the side and check, if the tap has gone off too then its worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

The blue lever should only move a quarter turn which will stop the water feed. The whole 'Y' piece is easily replaced by any plumbing supplies store, 3 or 4 euro at most. Wouldn't bother with B&Q myself, find most of their fitings are metric for UK as opposed to imperial for here.
    As Joey already said though, that arrangement is not the mae west:), should be discarded and replumbed by rights , the 'Y' piece is not really fit for mains pressure use. Good luck

• Advertisement

ok, thanks lads.. I've turned the lever a quarter turn, and the leak has stopped.. strangely enough the tap still works ?? I've stuck the tape around it for the moment just waiting for it to set...

It's only a temporary office that I'm using.. so if it doesnt fix it I will just leave the lever closed.. The primary issue is to stop the leak and I've managed that.. so I'm happy enough with that... I'll be interested to see if the amalgamating tape does the job...

Advertisement