Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College drop out never worked

• 10-01-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

Comments

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html
    €100 per week I think from this.

But it also says this:
    If you have just left school you cannot get Jobseeker's Allowance. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be out of school for three months and you be at least 18 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Yes, the waiting period applies to Secondary students. Get a letter from your college stating that you have left and take it with you to the Social Welfare. Had you obtained a grant? Have you asked if the college could facilitate you in any way? You know your situation best but explore every option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Would recommend you or your parents or all of you together consider approaching a TD asap to get him or her to ask the VEC to get the finger out with regards to your grant, especially if you feel you would qualify for it. It would be a real shame to have to give up your studies because of some damned backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Hi,

I have just dropped out of college after six months because of i am struggling
    because i have no money for travel,food etc. i live with my parents who are also on social welfare payments. i'm 18 , i have never worked. what benefits ( social welfare payments) am i entitled to?
    Dont be mad and drop out because of money if you can as you may regret it for the rest of your life. Dont mind them in the VEC not taking calls, go down and demand to see someone, get on to your local TD they are looking for all the votes they can get, so they will be egar to help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SIMPLYTHE

I have to say that I think you are making the biggest mistake of your life if you walk away from college. There are ways and means around everything. Please follow the advice above and get onto your local TD and actually camp out in the county council til you get some funding.

Another thing you should consider is getting in touch with the college administration itself - and even the college/university administrations elsewhere - to talk about the ACCESS programme. It is actually specifically in existence to help people like you - from backgrounds where parents aren't working etc., - it will not only help with living expenses, but also books and will exempt you from paying registration fees - and a LOT more). I have heard wonderful things about this programme. In addition to that, it may allow you to get onto a course that you would otherwise be unable to get onto (ie. don't have enough points)...please try this!!

Other people who will probably be helpful are the student college representatives - get onto them. I really really would hate to see someone drop out of college for this reason... I think you'll regret it sooo much. Please just persevere....you'll get there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SIMPLYTHE

hey, found this info on [url]www.citizensinformation.ie:[/url] go to one of these talks. there is help out there!

Disability Access Route to Education (DARE) and Higher Education Access Route (HEAR) application advice clinics

Posted on January 5, 2011
    The Disability Access Route to Education (DARE) is a college and university admissions scheme which offers places on a reduced points basis to school leavers with disabilities.

The Higher Education Access Route (HEAR) is a college and university admissions scheme which offers places on reduced points and extra college support to school leavers from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

Application advice clinics for both the DARE and HEAR schemes are taking place nationwide between Tuesday, 18 January 2011 and Tuesday, 25 January 2011. Most events will take place on Saturday, 22 January 2011. Advisors from the schemes will be available to help and applicants, parents, guardians, teachers and guidance counsellors are all welcome.

Find out more on www.accesscollege.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

most colleges have a hardship fund - prob best to talk to either the students union or the student welfare officer about it...they may be able give u money to tide u over until the grant comes through

Advertisement