Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I overthinking this?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

So it's about 12.45 right now and some guy just rang my doorbell. I of course didn't open it, but I looked out of the window. He looked at me and asked me directions to the roselawn shopping center. I told him where it was and he was off. I haven't seen him since.

Do you think he was up to no good? He didn't sound like a drunk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

So it's about 12.45 right now and some guy just rang my doorbell. I of course didn't open it, but I looked out of the window. He looked at me and asked me directions to the roselawn shopping center. I told him where it was and he was off. I haven't seen him since.

Do you think he was up to no good? He didn't sound like a drunk.

I know D 15 very well,... i'd say he way up to no good !! You should have jumped him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

I don't think advocating violence is a good idea on boards, mate. But thanks for the input otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Well Tesco is possibly the only place open 24hrs (aside from petrol stations) in D15. So maybe he was going to Tesco.

Other then Tesco I can't think of any reason to go to Roselawn S.C. at this time of night.

Are you alone in the house?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't think advocating violence is a good idea on boards, mate.

Agreed, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he meant that tongue in cheek.

Well Tesco is possibly the only place open 24hrs (aside from petrol stations) in D15. So maybe he was going to Tesco.

Other then Tesco I can't think of any reason to go to Roselawn S.C. at this time of night.

Are you alone in the house?
    Not that'd I say I was, even IF I was, but I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you're genuinely concerned that he's up to no good maybe you should call Blanch Garda station and ask that one of their patrol cars swings by to have a look around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

maybe he was a potential thief, ringing the bell in order to see if someone was home

Not that'd I say I was, even IF I was, but I'm not.

Well if you feel in anyway unsafe Blanch Garda Station is only a call away.

BTW, if the guy was looking for Tesco, was your house a strange one to call in to? As in, do you live in the middle of an estate and there would be more conenient house to call to? Or are you the first house on the road or in the estate?

Just trying to put your mind at ease.....

Zaph wrote: »
    If you're genuinely concerned that he's up to no good maybe you should call Blanch Garda station and ask that one of their patrol cars swings by to have a look around?

Do they actually do that? After reading boards for a while, I got the feeling that calling the Garda for anything shy of a real offense was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

well are you in a housing est and were your livingroom lights on. if yes to both his approach is logical.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good idea. Sure tell them what happened and they can decide whether to have a drive around.

elspecia wrote: »
    maybe he was a potential thief, ringing the bell in order to see if someone was home

This was pretty much what I was thinking, but he did leave and nothing since has happened.
    Well if you feel in anyway unsafe Blanch Garda Station is only a call away.

BTW, if the guy was looking for Tesco, was your house a strange one to call in to? As in, do you live in the middle of an estate and there would be more conenient house to call to? Or are you the first house on the road or in the estate?

Just trying to put your mind at ease.....
    It may be something like that. We often get mis-deliveries and mis-directed mail. Every street here has the same name, lol.

This was pretty much what I was thinking, but he did leave and nothing since has happened.

It may be something like that. We often get mis-deliveries and mis-directed mail. Every street here has the same name, lol.
    exactly. if your lights were on and you're close to main rd, no prob.

if the house is isolated, diff story.

Okay well I called the garda just to be on the safe side, and they were pretty sympathetic. They said that they'd send a car out to have a look around.

One thing I like better about the police here than in the US is they don't ask you for personal info or even a call back number.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Okay well I called the garda just to be on the safe side, and they were pretty sympathetic. They said that they'd send a car out to have a look around.

One thing I like better about the police here than in the US is they don't ask you for personal info or even a call back number.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    ahem.

yes.

they're very good like that.

all part of the service.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    ahem.

yes.

they're very good like that.

all part of the service.
    ??

??
    wait, are you American? cos American's are immune to sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

If anyone knocks on my door looking for directions at that time on night they would get an ear full. It defo sounds dodgy.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    wait, are you American? cos American's are immune to sarcasm.

LOL, we're as immune to sarcasm as the Irish are immune to liquor. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

I reckon it was some chancer. I live near roselawn too and i get people cutting through looking for Tesco at night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

He was definitely up to no good. No decent or right thinking person would wake someone up at an unsociable hour just to find directions to a shopping centre. You were right to contact the Gardai.

On that note, I wouldn't really have any objection to giving the Gardai a call back number or any personal info relevant to the issue you alerted them to. It can help them judge whether calls are hoax and also, what if they needed to later clarify a piece of info you gave them? I wouldn't see them not asking those questions as an attribute of Irish policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Good idea, If you are very concerned it's certainly no harm to be vigilant. Hopefully he was genuinely just looking for directions, maybe ask around and see if the same person was seen around acting suspiciously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No one calls into a house looking for directions in the middle of the night. Was up to something or drunk etc.

Advertisement