Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America's, Gradton St.

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'm invited to a party here during the week, whats the opinions on the place and what should I expect?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

It's noisy. Cheap food and depending on the night cheap drink. There's theme type nights from Monday to Wednesday.

It's a good laugh. Go have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Only ever been to the captains in cork but its a franchise so prob very much the same. Foods very nice and pretty reasonable too, staff are a bit jumpy though and rush over to you when you've just been seated to take your order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lovely, thanks guys. Its a freebie so no stress really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I've only been there once last year. Myself and the girlfriend stopped in for lunch. I was expecting it to be like TGI's(which IMO tastes nice). I think I ordered a platter or combo or something like that. Onions rings, chicken wings etc. It was the greasiest, tasteless thing I had in a long time. What I mean by tasteless is that you if you closed your eyes and ate a piece of each you couldn't tell what was what. Actually there was a taste.....hot grease. I was disappointed :( As I said though, I've only been there once so it could be different when you go! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Lovely, thanks guys. Its a freebie so no stress really :D

Not a bad pick up joint I have to say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I bring the family regularly. Always find the staff great, good atmosphere and Bud ice cold. They used to have the best banoffee in Dublin which is no longer on the menu.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

rednik wrote: »
    I bring the family regularly. Always find the staff great, good atmosphere and Bud ice cold. They used to have the best banoffee in Dublin which is no longer on the menu.:(

Do they still do the pitchers of beer???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

great place. if its a freebie make sure you load up of pitchers of coctails ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Been there many times over the years, used to be good. But last visits have not been great so i decided never to go back.

Last visit was about 2-3months back. Service was terrible. Girl at front door was to be frank abrupt and slightly rude. Food was dire, and i tend to eat anything. But this was dry and has no taste at all.

The place wasnt even that busy. ( and i know captain americas busy).

Ive also been to the tallaght one several times and its a world apart. Staff seem to be well on the ball. never had food issues.

But as you say its a freebee so just head on and enjoy it. Anything free, well you can complain much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Used to be one of the best burger joints going. Now, I'd defo prefer to go to TGI's. But that said, it's still decent enough to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Its a good spot for an informal party - good atmosphere, great cocktails and the food is grand. Am sure you'll enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

food's not great but you'll have a good night, particularly if it's a freebie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

burgers were always pretty good in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Regularly go when I'm in town. Couldn't say a bad thing about the food , its delicious, the staff are friendly and the drink is cheap enough for Grafton Street. One real problem is the complete lack of space. Can be really cramped when its busy with little room to maneuver.

Apart from that , enjoy your night :)

Thanks guys.

Just home, had a fantastic 20oz T-Bone steak and baked spud - beautiful.

Staff were really nice and friendly, and the service quicker than most places I've been to. Staff were really on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Glad to hear it's still a winner. Haven't been to Captain America's in about 5 years but used to love the place. Despite living in America I still miss it like I miss SuperQuinn sausages.

sagat2 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it's still a winner. Haven't been to Captain America's in about 5 years but used to love the place. Despite living in America I still miss it like I miss SuperQuinn sausages.

It was pretty good alright.. But, the desert - I got the worse banana split ever, I think the cream was that stuff in a can - it was pretty awful tbh.

But the steak was to die for!.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

cream is deffo from a can, one of the nicer s*&t in a can types though

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Better than TGIs, but if you're just having drinks at the bar, keep a eye on your change.

foolelle wrote: »
    cream is deffo from a can, one of the nicer s*&t in a can types though

Anf tbh, that might be the deciding factor as to if I'll go back or not.

If someone is taking a short cut on this I don't wanna know what else I'm being cut on.

It was disgusting (the canned cream).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I was there on a weekday night recently with friends and it was good, overall. Nice atmosphere, good food, not too expensive considering its prime city centre location.

Advertisement