Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Sci fi / fantasy

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello all,
    i'm looking for recommendations.
    Theres a bewildering choice of books out there.
    What i'd like to do is fill in the gaps in my
    knowledge of the 'classics'

Stand alone one offs please,from any time.

Thanks in advance.:D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Recently recommended Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke) to another poster. Fits this category!

Also maybe Ringworld (Larry Niven) and The Forever War (Joe Haldemann).

Enjoy. :)

I'd back up those recommendations. I went through a lot of the "sci-fi masterworks" collection when I was getting back into reading too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks

I love "The stars my destination" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

Dades wrote: »
    Recently recommended Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke) to another poster. Fits this category!

Also maybe Ringworld (Larry Niven) and The Forever War (Joe Haldemann).

Enjoy. :)

Thanks Dades,i've read the first two loved them.
    Thats exactly the kind of thing i'm looking for.
    The Forever War is going on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm wondering what classic Sci-Fi ages well, I read an awful lot over the years, much of it pulpy (I really enjoyed Battlefield Earth for example!), the Niven/Pournelle stuff, Asimov, Heinlein, Vonnegut etc, but I wonder has it all been "done better" in later years by Hamilton, Reynolds, Banks, Stross, Stephenson etc? (I'm *not* dissing anyone's love of this classic SF, just wondering if it's aged well)

One could do worse than trying to get hold of every Hugo and Nebula winner (or read all the nominations as well!)

http://www.worldswithoutend.com/books_hugo_index.asp
    http://www.worldswithoutend.com/books_nebula_index.asp

For example I loved the '73 winner The Gods Themselves but I've never reall liked Philip Jose Farmer's stuff (winner in '72)

One other thing - all the John Wyndam books written in the 1950s are great.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wyndham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'd second the recommendation for the SF Masterworks, I've been working through them gradually.

pH wrote: »
    I'm wondering what classic Sci-Fi ages well, I read an awful lot over the years, much of it pulpy (I really enjoyed Battlefield Earth for example!), the Niven/Pournelle stuff, Asimov, Heinlein, Vonnegut etc, but I wonder has it all been "done better" in later years by Hamilton, Reynolds, Banks, Stross, Stephenson etc? (I'm *not* dissing anyone's love of this classic SF, just wondering if it's aged well)

One could do worse than trying to get hold of every Hugo and Nebula winner (or read all the nominations as well!)

For example I loved the '73 winner The Gods Themselves but I've never reall liked Philip Jose Farmer's stuff (winner in '72)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wyndham

From the SF Masterworks, I think Benford, Bester and others are still relevant and might interest you. Generally, I find at least, that the more character driven authors (though Benford wouldn't fit into this) stay more relevant than ones that focus heavily on the science aspect (like alot of the new age authors you mention do). Having said that, the only ones from the series whose age I felt detracted from the books, was Stapledon's work, and that's from the 30s so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

baz8080 wrote: »
    I love "The stars my destination" :)

My all time favourite book :)

Bester was a singular genious. Unbelieveably his "The Demolished Man" is right up there with it (The first ever Hugo winner). I've never found anyone else who can write with such "pick you up and jump off a building" intensity. Can't think of another way to put it.

I'd recommend some of the other apexes of military sci-fi classics -

"Armor" by John Steakley
    "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein (Completely disregard the movie)
    And the already mentioned "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman
    All broadly similarly themed (All feature some form of biosuit for instance) but each comes from a completely different angle and I'd say all 3 are must-reads.

Some others that come immediately to mind are:
    "Gateway" by Pohl
    "The War of the Worlds" & "The First Men in the Moon" by H.G. Welles
    "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement
    "The City and The Stars", "Rendezvous with Rama" & "A Fall of Moondust" by Clarke.
    "The End of Eternity" by Asimov
    "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

The big 3 dystopians:
    "Nineteen Eighty-Four" (2nd favourite book of all time)
    "Fahrenheit 451"
    "Brave New World" (Not quite as good as the other 2 after half distance for me)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wyndham[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea,as i said i'm trying to narrow it down.
    I dont have the money or the time to read everything (who does:()
    I did'nt like Farmer either,always thought i was missing the point.
    Could have been my own fault,maybe there was'nt one.
    Anyway thanks for that.

Goldstein wrote: »
    My all time favourite book :)

Bester was a singular genious. Unbelieveably his "The Demolished Man" is right up there with it (The first ever Hugo winner). I've never found anyone else who can write with such "pick you up and jump off a building" intensity. Can't think of another way to put it.

I'd recommend some of the other apexes of military sci-fi classics -

"Armor" by John Steakley
    "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein (Completely disregard the movie)
    And the already mentioned "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman
    All broadly similarly themed (All feature some form of biosuit for instance) but each comes from a completely different angle and I'd say all 3 are must-reads.

Some others that come immediately to mind are:
    "Gateway" by Pohl
    "The War of the Worlds" & "The First Men in the Moon" by H.G. Welles
    "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement
    "The City and The Stars", "Rendezvous with Rama" & "A Fall of Moondust" by Clarke.
    "The End of Eternity" by Asimov
    "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

The big 3 dystopians:
    "Nineteen Eighty-Four" (2nd favourite book of all time)
    "Fahrenheit 451"
    "Brave New World" (Not quite as good as the other 2 after half distance for me)

Great stuff !!!
    Starship Troopers must be like The Running Man by Stephen King,
    great book but the film makes you want to puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

FAO anyone looking for the Hugo, Nebula & Locus award winners in a single list, this might save you some time:

Sci-Fi Award Winners.pdf

I can throw up the excel file if anyone wants it but it should copy & paste ok.

Spent the last few years collecting them myself. Was good fun finding nice copies of some of the older ones. Have read about 1/3 of them to date but am still all set for a few years yet :D

Some nice suggestions here, I think I'll be adding some of them to the twenty or so books on my todo shelf :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Here's a few suggestions:

The Caves of Steel - Isaac Asimov (robots/first Elijah Baley SF-crime novel)
    The Weapon Shops of Isher - A. E. Van Gogt (dated but very representative of 50s sf)
    Starman Jones - Robert A. Heinlein (good example of classic Heinlein, recommend any of his work)
    A Fall of Moondust - Arthur C. Clarke (written later but classic standalone sf)
    The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury (had to include a Bradbury)

Legends, all. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It hasn't been specifically mentioned but you could throw in some Philip K. Dick stuff too.

I checked the SF Masterworks list and he's on it about 14 times so you've a good choice there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Stars My Destination is very good. So is Dick, I'd try Ubik, The Man In the High Castle or A Scanner Darkly to gauge him.
    I really liked Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany.
    All of these are part of the SF Masterworks collection. You're pretty safe with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Shryke wrote: »
    So is Dick, I'd try Ubik, The Man In the High Castle or A Scanner Darkly to gauge him.

Now yer talking :D
    Philip K Dick is the Jimi Hendrix of SF writers
    Shryke has picked out his very best IMHO. Be warned that Scanner Darkly is pretty dark and not to everyones taste.
    Other not-to-be missed classics by PKD are:-
    • Clans of the Alphane Moon,
    • Flow my tears the policeman said,
    • Martian Time-Slip
    • Do Androids dream of electric sheep? (Bladerunner)
    • The Three stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.
    • We Can build you
    • The Golden Man and The Preserving Machine (short stories)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Dades wrote: »

I'm only half way through this because I got waylaid by The Name of the Wind and my reading pace seems to have dropped considerably but its damn good so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PADRAGON wrote: »
    Great stuff !!!
    Starship Troopers must be like The Running Man by Stephen King,
    great book but the film makes you want to puke.
    Man, I love that movie! It's the first film I ever went to see twice in the cinema.
    I also loved the book... but I totally appreciate they are different mediums with different intentions.

ALSO - I just noticed (unless I missed it) nobody has mentioned Dune. Classic sci-fi and fantasy in one. :)

I really enjoyed "A canticle for leibowitz" and "earth abides", both are post-apocalyptic style sci-fi.

"Flowers for algernon" is also a book that I'd highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'd second the recommendation for the SF Masterworks, I've been working through them gradually.

From the SF Masterworks, I think Benford, Bester and others are still relevant and might interest you. Generally, I find at least, that the more character driven authors (though Benford wouldn't fit into this) stay more relevant than ones that focus heavily on the science aspect (like alot of the new age authors you mention do). Having said that, the only ones from the series whose age I felt detracted from the books, was Stapledon's work, and that's from the 30s so...

Stapledon's books are amazing, the OP should add "Last and First Men" to their list.

baalthor wrote: »
    Stapledon's books are amazing, the OP should add "Last and First Men" to their list.

Last and First Men is undoubtedly a great work but it started to drag for me towards the end. Starmaker is still on my to-read list though.

How about William Gibson's early real-SF books?
    Neuromancer
    Count Zero
    MonaLisa Overdrive
    Burning Chrome (short stories)

(unquestionably Neuromancer is a classic - redefined the genre, won the Nebula, Hugo and PKD awards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

I really liked Philip K. Dick's book of short stories, We Can Remember it For You, Wholesale. I think it's his Vol II short stories, but it was the first I read and still my favourite PKD and because it's only short stories, its a good place to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In terms of readily-available reading lists for SF, I think the SF Masterworks back-catalouge is hard to beat, as others have obviously already said.

To that I'd add that a good anthology can be excellent. My favourite is 'The World Turned Upside Down' from Baen. It's a collection picked by Jim Baen (RIP) and Eric Flint of stories that they read as kids/younger men and which made them lifelong SF fans. There are some obvious genre classics in there from established greats like Heinlein, and then there are some interesting 'one hit wonders' and stories from lesser-known figures.

http://www.sfrevu.com/php/Review-id.php?id=4197

Thanks to every poster.
    Ive just finished Consider Phlebas.
    Reading Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell
    at the minute with A Scanner Darkly and
    Game Of Thrones lined up after that.

Lots of adventures ahead.

Cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

"dune" by frank herbert

"enders game" by Orson Scott Card

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The very first sci fi story I read was a book in the school library back in the 1960's (Yes I am an old sod) Anyway it was aimed at kids (obviously) but it got my interest and introduced me to the genre. To this day I can not remember the author for certain (I think it was E C Elliot but I may be wrong)

The book was called "Kemlo and the Gravity Rays" I have no idea if it is part of a series or whatever, but it is a book I remember all this time later.

It might interest you, I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Rubecula wrote: »
    The very first sci fi story I read was a book in the school library back in the 1960's (Yes I am an old sod) Anyway it was aimed at kids (obviously) but it got my interest and introduced me to the genre. To this day I can not remember the author for certain (I think it was E C Elliot but I may be wrong)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemlo

Y1frBHT2_original.jpg
    http://www.collectingbooksandmagazines.com/kemlo.html

Rubecula wrote: »

The book was called "Kemlo and the Gravity Rays" I have no idea if it is part of a series or whatever, but it is a book I remember all this time later.

It might interest you, I am not sure.
    Wow!
    I read and enjoyed some of those books too. We must be of a similar vintage! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

pH wrote: »
    Wow!
    I read and enjoyed some of those books too. We must be of a similar vintage! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Thanks guys and I was happy to see I got the author right too. Those Kemlo books have a lot to answer for. I still love the genre and indeed I write little things for myself. Sad as I am:pac:

Advertisement