Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cravings

• 10-01-2011 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

....For intellectual discussions and a strong thirst for knowledge, from 2am to about 6am every freaking night,yet the urge to master any of the above during normal hours is in no way, 'do-able'. Why? ..and am I alone on this weird (ad)venture??

I've only noticed this recently, a fellow insomniac is convinced it's just my 'insomniac ways and I should just get used to it...' - your opinions?

Yes, I guess I'm kind of a newb to this forum, hello there :p

To try and rescue this thread I ask you all, what do you do to stimulate your over-active mind at this time of 'morning'?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

This is usually my most productive time, but thanks to ye olde full time job I've been cutting back and trying to conform :(

Though my old productive times have so far produced two novels. I'm about to begin my crusade to get them published, so if that goes well I'm going to once again embrace my evil noc side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Fewcifur wrote: »
    This is usually my most productive time, but thanks to ye olde full time job I've been cutting back and trying to conform :(

Though my old productive times have so far produced two novels. I'm about to begin my crusade to get them published, so if that goes well I'm going to once again embrace my evil noc side :D

Oh ,how I envy thy ..both job (conformist) front and the power to produce not one but two novels.

I've been struggling with my writers block for the past three months now, and it freakin' sucks =\ - yet here I am 8 months on (from start date) with one give or take two tops,paragraphs on my first novel.. tips!?

Worst thing is, I find my best writings come to me when it's 11:30am and my head is hitting the pillow ,gah, never-ending cycle of annoyance...:mad:

lisaface wrote: »
    Oh ,how I envy thy ..both job (conformist) front and the power to produce not one but two novels.

I've been struggling with my writers block for the past three months now, and it freakin' sucks =\ - yet here I am 8 months on (from start date) with one give or take two tops,paragraphs on my first novel.. tips!?

Worst thing is, I find my best writings come to me when it's 11:30am and my head is hitting the pillow ,gah, never-ending cycle of annoyance...:mad:

My top tip would be to write whenever inspiration hits. My last novel's plot just came together really quickly in my head and I jotted down the chapter plan but then it was done. In my head I had created the whole thing and wasn't really that interested in the hard work necessary to turn it into a book. Now I worked through it, faced the grind etc. but I only saw proper productivity when a new idea came into the mix and I could flesh it out as it appeared. Recently (just finishing up the last bits on the 2nd one this week.) I've gone a bit crazy and have gone days without sleep, just because an idea would hit me at 3am and I'd have to get it down, despite having work at 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I make lists. :cool:

Or else re-do lists I've already made and make them nicer or put them into sub-headings.....I try my best to avoid sub-headings though as they can sprial out of control pretty quickly :eek: :p

Or I get this serious urge to clean my room :D Only ever at 3 or 4am and of course the rest of household complains about the plastic bags rustling and general banging about etc :pac:

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I make lists. :cool:

Do you ever use diagrams in your lists?

And are these to-do lists or like "best of" lists?

• Advertisement

Do you ever use diagrams in your lists?

And are these to-do lists or like "best of" lists?

No I keep funny cartoon drawings to their own little art pad. Can't make up ones in my head though :( but can make very good copies of what I see...well at times. Been few years now since I made wee funny drawings. Get the urge every few years and go on drawing spree then that's me done for another couple of years :pac:

My lists are of like......everything you could possibly think of that would be needed for a kitchen/bedroom/living room.

List of everything possibly needed for a cat/dog/guinea pig etc training tips/foods hazardous to pets

List of countries/cities to visit

List of things to do/things to avoid

List of kickboxing warm up exercises/kicks/punches/full workout

List of tips on saving money

List of various possible halloween outifts :D

List of weekly/monthly savings I should put into the bank....(but always fail as a result this one gets done alot over and over and never completed :p)

ANYTHING really. Just take notions. Keeps me happy and occuiped. Easily pleased :pac:

Currently working on a list of all animal shelters around Ireland and figure out which one to move near to get the most experience through volunteering and fostering animals :D

Yes I love lists :o but I'm proud of it! :p

All seemed pretty standard until we got to the kickboxing bit. Why oh why is that every random girlie I meet these days seems to be into martial arts. Got a punch in the face from a karate girl. She's since become my bud, but at the time it was a total surprise. Sure you'll be grand to walk the direct route to the cinema in that case :)

I am but an amateur in the list making game it seems... though I've loads of stationary that needs a purpose. I may make some lists. But I'll make a list like "Things I want to achieve" and then realise I should just try achieve them. Nothing quite as satisfying though as the aul list before you pack. Mmm... good. :)

All seemed pretty standard until we got to the kickboxing bit. Why oh why is that every random girlie I meet these days seems to be into martial arts. Got a punch in the face from a karate girl. She's since become my bud, but at the time it was a total surprise. Sure you'll be grand to walk the direct route to the cinema in that case :)

I am but an amateur in the list making game it seems... though I've loads of stationary that needs a purpose. I may make some lists. But I'll make a list like "Things I want to achieve" and then realise I should just try achieve them. Nothing quite as satisfying though as the aul list before you pack. Mmm... good. :)

Ahhh no I'm crap at it. Need to get back into shape. No upper body strength wouldn't be able to punch ya...but I could poke ya in the eye and blind ye if that helps :pac:

Things I want to achieve....that list is waaaaay too deep and intense for me :p The ole things to do...kinda covers some of it though from very simple things like drink more water every day to the bigger ones like start driving lessons.

Note I did not write down learn to drive...nooooo too much pressure :pac:...start driving lessons is simple and less pressure and I'm more likely to do it than run in the opposite direction.

Gotta trick myself into doing the important stuff. My inner child wants to run away :p

The girl who punched me in the face was this lil tiny tot of a thing, put it was all about the speed and the tiny tiny fists. Terrifying. Besides with kickboxers it's always the kicking I'd be worried about... I won't steal your cookies if you don't kick me, I think that's fair. Unless they're really nice cookies, in which case they were asking for it!

Yeah, I've recently embarked on the learn how to drive crusade. It actually happened due to internet boredom, I made a list to research a load of stuff, one was prices for driving lessons and then before I knew it I had it booked! Eep!

Ooooh that could be a new list for me too. Local driving instructors and their prices.

My mum bought me 3 lessons worth for my 21st....never used them :o

That's another list I can look forward too...once I know how to drive....all the possibly things needed for your car :pac:

The house lists(kitchen/bedroom etc) bring me the most happiness as the thought of being out in my own place is awesome! Though I could live somewhere cheaper if I had a friggin car -.- >.<

• Advertisement

Oh you should have done the first 3 lessons, they're the easiest :D

Lesson 1 is just getting your seat right and learning how to turn the lights on and off etc, maybe getting a feel for the engine. It's a lot less terrifying than I've always convinced myself.

Yeah, living on your own is a great excuse for lists, I currently have a massive one that needs doing, involving hairdryers, clothes horses, knives, potato peelers, picture frames etc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

I have a confession to make you might laugh.....

I thought the nocturnal form was about bird watching so i was to afraid to even check what was in it.

At like 1am i usually start projects lie dying my shoes,Making a song...
    I used to get cravings to go on internet dating sites and hook up with girls(never worked)

I usually make a second dinner when i cant sleep and have a cigarette.

If i had my own place i would be able to record songs at night i always get inspired at like 2am - onward....it breaks my heart so many songs wasted!

Wow Grungepants! I'm the exact same, well, except the birds bit and the smoking bit (though once upon a time I used to savour a 4am spliff out the window as the birds awoke)

My parents got to the point where they accepted I wrote music and just learned to ignore my 2am song writing sessions :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

I approve of these last two posts. My current solution is to try play/record in the part of my house furthest from anyone sleeping, which is difficult in my house in kilkenny and nigh-on impossible in my place in dublin.

Dawn spliff is best spliff ^_^

I approve of these last two posts. My current solution is to try play/record in the part of my house furthest from anyone sleeping, which is difficult in my house in kilkenny and nigh-on impossible in my place in dublin.

Dawn spliff is best spliff ^_^

This warms my heart.

Oh you should have done the first 3 lessons, they're the easiest :D

Lesson 1 is just getting your seat right and learning how to turn the lights on and off etc, maybe getting a feel for the engine. It's a lot less terrifying than I've always convinced myself.

Yeah that doesn't sound so bad. I imagined them trying to force me out onto the main road and me getting stuck and loads of angry drivers and people I know drive past honking the horn and shouting at me :o
    Yeah, living on your own is a great excuse for lists, I currently have a massive one that needs doing, involving hairdryers, clothes horses, knives, potato peelers, picture frames etc. :)

:eek::eek::eek:

You are my new best friend :pac:
    Under my Kitchen list I have 117 items listed :D It's gonna be an AWESOME kitchen.
    I usually make a second dinner when i cant sleep and have a cigarette.

If i had my own place i would be able to record songs at night i always get inspired at like 2am - onward....it breaks my heart so many songs wasted!

Eating dinner at 4am. Yup been there and done that manys a night and still do! :D

Yeah that doesn't sound so bad. I imagined them trying to force me out onto the main road and me getting stuck and loads of angry drivers and people I know drive past honking the horn and shouting at me :o

You are my new best friend :pac:
    Under my Kitchen list I have 117 items listed :D It's gonna be an AWESOME kitchen.

I went driving on the roads for the first time tonight, well properly on the roads. Cut out at a big set of lights, but luckily I was so busy trying to sort the problem that I didn't notice any hate. It's all about staying calm. Mastered the hill start eventually so I'm happy about that :) Progress!

117 items? Do you have a pineapple corer and grapefruit segmenter in there?

I went driving on the roads for the first time tonight, well properly on the roads. Cut out at a big set of lights, but luckily I was so busy trying to sort the problem that I didn't notice any hate. It's all about staying calm. Mastered the hill start eventually so I'm happy about that :) Progress!

117 items? Do you have a pineapple corer and grapefruit segmenter in there?

No :eek: But they could be added .....naaaaaaaa feic that!
    I do have things like bread bin, garlic crusher,can opener,cutlery holder, placemats+coasters,icecream sundae glasses(:D), mug tree,wine rack(for my bottles of Captain Morgan and various whiskeys) :pac:

At night I also like to read. Could take a notion and start a book about 2am and have it finished by midday or whatever time the next morning depending how long it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I have a kitchen list too! :eek:

I ticked two things off it today because I bought a slow cooker and a new sweeping brush.

No :eek: But they could be added .....naaaaaaaa feic that!
    I do have things like bread bin, garlic crusher,can opener,cutlery holder, placemats+coasters,icecream sundae glasses(:D), mug tree,wine rack(for my bottles of Captain Morgan and various whiskeys) :pac:

At night I also like to read. Could take a notion and start a book about 2am and have it finished by midday or whatever time the next morning depending how long it is.
    Garlic crusher - essential for any 30 Minute Meal. :)
    Guess what some rotten punk did in our apartment... they took an empty bottle of Captain Morgans, filled it up with water and coke and put it back on our drinks shelf! We thought we had a full bottle, until I went to pour it and something icky fell out of it, then I held it to the light and realised the wrongness. How sad :(
    reallyrose wrote: »
    I have a kitchen list too! :eek:

I ticked two things off it today because I bought a slow cooker and a new sweeping brush.
    Is a slow cooker a double pot with water in between?

• Advertisement

Is a slow cooker a double pot with water in between?

Noes.
    A slow cooker, Crock-Pot (a US trademark that is often used generically), or Slo-Cooker (a UK trade mark that is often used generically) is a countertop electrical cooking appliance that maintains a relatively low temperature compared to other cooking methods (such as baking, boiling, and frying), for many hours allowing unattended cooking of pot roast, stew, and other suitable dishes.

(Yeah, i'm lazy)

Noes.
    A slow cooker, Crock-Pot (a US trademark that is often used generically), or Slo-Cooker (a UK trade mark that is often used generically) is a countertop electrical cooking appliance that maintains a relatively low temperature compared to other cooking methods (such as baking, boiling, and frying), for many hours allowing unattended cooking of pot roast, stew, and other suitable dishes.

(Yeah, i'm lazy)

Those double pots are excellent.

Would you not just put it on setting 1 or something. Sheesh.

Those double pots are excellent.

Would you not just put it on setting 1 or something. Sheesh.

Not for 8 hours while I'm at work!

Not for 8 hours while I'm at work!

That'll be a good stew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Slow cookers are great!
    Where did you buy it, and what size did you get?

I'd choose a Pineapple corer over a bread bin!

I get strange desires at times, not restricted to night time. An urge for real porridge sometimes overpowers my senses, as does "bacon & cabbage" or "smoked rasher & crispy white pudding". I also get a strange, uncontrollable longing to go for walks at 3am! I think it's the tingly coldness and silent solitude, that appeals so much, compared to the normal hectic day time.

/btw - porridge, cooked overnight in the SC, is great to wake up to. You must try Cola Chicken - sounds yuk, tastes yum!

mrmac wrote: »
    Slow cookers are great!
    Where did you buy it, and what size did you get?

I'd choose a Pineapple corer over a bread bin!

I get strange desires at times, not restricted to night time. An urge for real porridge sometimes overpowers my senses, as does "bacon & cabbage" or "smoked rasher & crispy white pudding". I also get a strange, uncontrollable longing to go for walks at 3am! I think it's the tingly coldness and silent solitude, that appeals so much, compared to the normal hectic day time.

/btw - porridge, cooked overnight in the SC, is great to wake up to. You must try Cola Chicken - sounds yuk, tastes yum!

It's a tiny one, 1.5 lt. I got in in Argos on sale.
    I think I'm going to try to make pulled pork at the weekend. There's an pretty epic looking recipe on the cooking forum that makes me hungry just thinking about it. *drools*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

1.5l is a handy size alright, and they're a bargain in Argos. I was given a 6.5l brute of one last summer, but you need a wheelbarrow of stuff to fill it! Great for ribs though.
    I got a 3.5l one out of Argos a few weeks ago, €19 I think! Great contraption, and just the right size to fit an entire 1.4kg chicken into! €3 for the chicken, 50c for a can of coke, 3.5 hours on high - lovely!

The Cooking & Recipes Forum is a great reference. You're going to try Sparks's recipe? Let me know how it goes. His recipe for Chilli Con Carne has me considering a pressure cooker!

mrmac wrote: »
    1.5l is a handy size alright, and they're a bargain in Argos. I was given a 6.5l brute of one last summer, but you need a wheelbarrow of stuff to fill it! Great for ribs though.
    I got a 3.5l one out of Argos a few weeks ago, €19 I think! Great contraption, and just the right size to fit an entire 1.4kg chicken into! €3 for the chicken, 50c for a can of coke, 3.5 hours on high - lovely!

The Cooking & Recipes Forum is a great reference. You're going to try Sparks's recipe? Let me know how it goes. His recipe for Chilli Con Carne has me considering a pressure cooker!

Yah, Spark's pulled pork.
    I'm making chicken chilli tomorrow. :D (If I can find chicken mince. D:)

Chicken mince? For some reason that seems really unappealing :(

• Advertisement

Chicken mince? For some reason that seems really unappealing :(

You're wrong!

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/268/Buffalo-Chicken-Chili

Advertisement