Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Extensions help....

Options
  • 10-01-2011 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I really want to get hair extensions but i'm worried what i want isn't possible so advice is needed. Would prfer to stay away from glue as i've heard its dodgey. Is keratin extensions same as glue?

Is there any method that will let me brush my hair normally from root to tip?

My hair is dry so i use treatments on it, is there any method/hair type that will let me use treatments?

A friend of mine got them done with hairspray and wasn't very happy. She got the most expensive ones but they started falling out after 6 weeks and it looked a good bit messy after 2-3 months, she thought it might be due to not being able to use protein in her hair? Any way to avoid the been dragged through a bush look?

I'd like them to last as long as possible, any chance of more than 3-4 months?

What prices range am i looking at?

Any recomendations on where to get it done, interested in a good service and application, and good lasting power!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

You could buy clip in real hair extensions that you can put in each day! You can shampoo, conditioner, leave them in treatments, straighten, curl, etc .. basically do what you do with your own hair! For a full bag of them is around 50euro, and with that you can get around 3 sets of hair and then get clips too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I've tried clip ins and they are not for me but thanks for the suggestion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Hey slowmoe,

Before I saw your thread I posted a big long one about the evils of hair extensions.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend it. They fall out, they're costly (cheapest around 600 bucks including getting them removed,) they RUIN your original hair, the upkeep is not worth it as you have to maintain how they are attached to your own hair (i.e. if it's glue, you can't use anything hot as it melts the glue,) and lastly no, you can't brush your hair root to tip as whatever method of extension you get, there will be bits attached to your hair.

Nor can anyone run their hands through your hair! Also. If you leave them longer than 3 months they will ruin your hair further.

I know you've probably got your heart set on them, as I did. But my advice would be to get the clip in ones and use them very, very infrequently. Use them for a night out but be super sure to take them out at night and not brush your hair too much with them in.

Sorry if this all bums you out!

Thanks for the imput lambseye, i'm looking very carefully at my options before i decide.

I had someone on pm recommending boutique har and beauty for keratin cinderella extensions. My understanding is cinderella is the type of hair but is the keratin the glue extensions or pre bonded ones that everyones warns off about? Also at 450 it seems really steep to me.

If only there were some boards deals on extensions!!!

Does anyone know of any better prices/offers?

Edit i see noel higgins has 350 advertised...

i'm kind of getting put off by them now. how hard is it to look after them? my friend had the expensive ones at hairspray and she said her hair matted above the bond she wouldn;t do it again there. my main concern is damage to your own hair, how bad is it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

would not recommend it! i spent 700 euro on hair extensions a few years ago. after you get them you can never get a good wash on your hair. they get tangled and are impossible to manage unless you have a personal stylist. when i took them out - after 3 months! . i had to get my hair cut short. i went to using the clip in extensions- they are the best of both worlds if you get good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

they get tangled and are impossible to manage unless you have a personal stylist.

Agree totally with this.

I was looking to get extensions before, went to various salons asking about price. A hairdresser who had a full head of glue in ones told me that the only reason she had them in her hair was because the people she worked with glued the strips of hair back in, for free, when it fell out - which was apparently a very regular thing - and b, gave her regular blow drys to keep her hair looking fresh.
    Even with that, she said she struggled to keep them looking good and natural.

So, you not only need the money to pay for the extensions, but the money for constant maintenance.

If you're going to go down the route of extensions, then just be aware that they are hard work!

I'd recommend clip ins as well. Might be a bit of effort taking them out and putting them back in every day, but they last far longer as you're not sleeping on them, having them in every time you shower and wash your hair etc.

i won't be getting the glue in ones anyhow.

does anyone know if keratin extensions are same as glue in ones.

what about weaves? are they suitable to caucasian hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

slowmoe wrote: »
    i won't be getting the glue in ones anyhow.

does anyone know if keratin extensions are same as glue in ones.

what about weaves? are they suitable to caucasian hair?

Keratin and protein are glue in ones.

I just got some done, they were called 'easylox' or something, but basically Cinderella Extensions I think. They recommended a particular type of Denman brush which means you can basically just brush your hair as normal.

It does take a huge amount longer to dry the hair and it needs to be brushed more but it looks amazing when it's freshly washed! I've only had them in a week so far so I can't answer any long term queries...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Contrary to the above posts I have had Hairspray System 2 hair extensions for the past year and I find them great.

I get 18 inch keratin bonds + they last me about 3 months. Only about 10 strands max. have ever fallen out on me. I do look after them well..I wash my hair about 3-4 times a week using kerastase shampoo and conditioner from mid length to ends and I use a heat protective spray. I comb them daily and they never get mangled or knotty.

I think if you look after your extensions well they'll last + don't use any protein products.

I had my extensions taken out the other day and my own natural hair is still in fine condition...I have only a few split ends, no bald patches and my hair is the same thickness it's always been.

The one main negative I find is that the hair can become a bit dry towards the last month and they can be very itchy at the roots!

I think you have to have relatively good and healthy hair to begin with to get extension but I recommend the Hairspray System 2s for anyone looking for a bit of length and volume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

i got the micro ring hair extension done about 1 month ago - it was something that i wanted to get done - and no matter what anybody said to me about the disadvantages of them (i.e. not being able to run my hands through root to tip, not being able to wash like normal, maintenance required etc. etc) i was going to get it done. well they lasted in my head just over 1 week, before i got my husband to remove them with a pliers. i tried to got two hairdressers to see about after styling and they couldn't blend properly because they were not able to section off the hair correctly for the cut - so even through the extensions were a perfect colour match - my own hair didn't blend in style. also i have a natural kink and extensions never matched my natural kink (maybe i didn't leave the extensions long enough to kink) anyhow - €225 later - i am never as happy to have my own hair back. so when i want a fuller head of hair i will buy the clip in !!! an expensive lession for me to learn - but i did learn.

and i did feel that it must do damage to own hair (cause the rings are clamped to the extension and my hair and this must weaken the hair - if not immediately, definately in time - i don't care what anyone says !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

MaxCharlie wrote: »
    €225 later

225 is dirt cheap for a full head of micro rings, they are usually about 500. You get what you pay for, a good extensionist will cut them so they blend with your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

Magenta wrote: »
    225 is dirt cheap for a full head of micro rings, they are usually about 500. You get what you pay for, a good extensionist will cut them so they blend with your hair.

To CLARIFY - 225 was not for a full head - as you assume. i did get what i paid for - real hair. and as far as i know a hairdresser is trained to cut hair - I tried two of them - without 100% success - so i would prefer my own hair than something that kinda looks ok - but just not right.

Also sleeping at night was a right pain - like sleeping with a hundred small balls - and don't forget the thought of anybody touching it - it kinda felt like having braces on your hair - this is just my experience - but the best of luck with whatever you decide on.

has anyone any opinions on xtension angels???

and with micro ring extensions do you have to get them taken out afer 3 months or just tightened up?

Also (sorry for so many q's) my hair is frizzy naturally but i straighten it. Sometimes i don't have time to straighten it perfect every day so i was thinking of getting it relaxed, does anyone know how good this is for typically irish frizzy hair? or any other treatments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I got the glue in ones in Hairspray. Was quoted €299 on the phone. When I got them in and went up to pay she said €450, I was shocked! Apparently they had to use more hair because my own hair is so thick, they didn't bother telling me this though until after they were already in! :eek:

3 months later I bought acetone and cotton buds to remove them myself. I managed to remove only 3 strands of hair! So I went to a black shop and they said it would take at least 2 hours to remove them as they were so knotted, and would cost €80 minimum. So I said fcuk it and I went back to Hairspray where they rmoved them for €100. It took about 3 hours and it was so painful! They pulled out half my own hair with them!

And get this - while the two girls in hairspray were removing them they were having a conversation between themselves about how they were both dying to remove their own hair extensions as they were a pain in the ass! :rolleyes: Funny because they weren't saying that before I decided to get them in.

Worst-experience-ever!

Stick with the clip ins OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

So.
    I've had extensions & i'm qualified to do extensions.

The hair brushing thing is easy solved. Get one of these
    http://www.cinderellahair.com/popup_image.php?pID=37

Keratin is what your hair is made of so naturally is a better option than glue.

I trained with Cinderella hair, pre-bonded Keratin extensions.
    They also supply shampoo, conditioner & products to look after the extensions. They aren't to be expected to last longer than about 12 weeks really. You can't of course GHD or curl the life out of them and expect they will retain good condition, after all they are real hair.

Lots of it is minding them yourself at home. Dry the bonds right after you wash your hair. keeping conditioner away from top of head altogether so it wont loosen bonds etc.. I plan on getting some in myself soon i hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I've had hair extensions (gold fever) in for over a year. My own hair is absolutely fine and growing away. I lost my hair due to illness and i really love the extensions - they are very natural and no one ones i have them in as i was very self conscious when my hair started thinning.

The ONLY drawback in my opinion is the money but if you look after them they can last 7/8 months. And then it works out pretty good value in my opinion.

I am going to try Poise in Milton this time. They have great prices -

I just noticed this is an old thread - i'm really sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Update - I went to POISE and for about a third of the price (seriously!) I got perfect great lengths. I was even able to get more hair this time and in a longer length and I absolutely love it. They are fab in there

Advertisement