Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queensland Flood Updates

Options
  • 10-01-2011 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

“Here comes the rain again……”
    We from Travellers Auto Barn are receiving a lot of phone calls concerning the floods in Queensland. We put some information together for you to keep you all informed and on the safe site when travelling in your car or campervan on Queensland’s roads.
    The Bruce Highway, the main North – South route between Brisbane and Cairns remains closed in a number of places.
    Overnight the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane area have experienced some heavy rainfall and localised flooding. However the floods in this area are not expected to cause any long term road closures.
    Find more details on our blog – we keep you up to date so you can enjoy your trip!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

MOD I've edited your post so it isn't a plug for website
    Stick to info about the floods

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Gettin Mental here again today, I'd say We've had about 3 Inches today, seriously, if anyone notices a Set of 17 inch Mercedes Alloys floating down stream they're mine :o

tho if this rain keeps up there might just be an S-class floating after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

As opposed to a 17 Foot complete Mercedes

I was only half messin, the Wheels have floated off, but check this out

Startin to get worried

BTW

EVACUATION WARNING LOCKYER CREEK

RIGHT NOW

if anyone lives there

useful resource
    http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml#skip

Harrisville looks like its next on the list to take the Slap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

while i do sympathise with everyone affected bythe floods, i'm also secretly delighted as i know some of it will flow into SA in time for when i get back :D

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/lake-eyre-filling-up-fast-thanks-to-queensland-floods/story-e6frea83-1225981280089

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VelocityGirl

Useful Links:
    ABC Flood coverage including link to the updates on local ABC radio
    http://www.abc.net.au/emergency/flood/
    Road closures in Queensland
    www.131940.qld.gov.au
    My thoughts go out to those affected - a sad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Toowoomba smashed yesterday, Courier Mail reporting 8 people dead :eek::(

Wivenhoe Dam is the only thing stopping Brisbane going underwater, though 30 suburbs have been listed as being at risk from tomorrow.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/brisbane-flood-alert-as-wivenhoe-threatens-to-spill-over/story-e6freoof-1225985251560

heres something to give a little perspective to those people not familiar with Brisbane and its Dams

Wivenhoe Dam was built after the 74 Flood to help mitigate te raw destructive force of teh Floods, it has Floodgates and Overspill, the Overspill is supposed to hold out for 7 days, but currently its survivin about 3 beofore capacity, on top of this the Flood gates are timed with the tides, to minimise damage.

Now heres the interesting bit,

Each day for the last week or so Wivenhoe Dam has had to open its floodgates, when this Happens a volume of water Roughtly the same size if not slightly more than the contents of Sydney Harbour comes rushin down to sea.

yes thats what it says - Sydney Harbour, each day this week :eek:

thats. nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

heres something to give a little perspective to those people not familiar with Brisbane and its Dams

Wivenhoe Dam was built after the 74 Flood to help mitigate te raw destructive force of teh Floods, it has Floodgates and Overspill, the Overspill is supposed to hold out for 7 days, but currently its survivin about 3 beofore capacity, on top of this the Flood gates are timed with the tides, to minimise damage.

Now heres the interesting bit,

Each day for the last week or so Wivenhoe Dam has had to open its floodgates, when this Happens a volume of water Roughtly the same size if not slightly more than the contents of Sydney Harbour comes rushin down to sea.

have they got an idea when all this will ease down or is there a bad weather forecast ahead

Conventional wisdom is that it may stop tuesday or Wednesday next week, but it should fade out to that, the peak is the main worry right now which is due in the next 12-24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TABgirl

!!!UPDATE!!!

****NEXT 2 DAYS, DRIVERS ARE ADVISED TO STAY SOUTH OF GRAFTON (NSW) AND NORTH OF AIRLIE BEACH****

******NEXT 24 HOURS AVOID DRIVING IN THE BRISBANE – SUNSHINE COAST AREA****************************

******REMEMBER IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THROUGH FLOOD WATERS********************

Dramatic reports, images and video overnight of serious flash flooding in Toowoomba. The media is in frenzy and the headlines are frightening and tragic.

We think it’s important to counter the mainstream media message with some advice that hopefully will provide some comfort to our customers, agents and concerned families and friends.

Find more details on our Blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Brisbane flooding to peak on Thursday in floods that are due to outstrip the floods of 1974. It's not over yet, the death toll will rise and the clean up will ultimately take years. Three quarters of the entire state of Queensland is a disaster zone.

Flood donations here:

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Am helping to organise a fundraiser at work - this is hitting really close to home for us, we're less than four weeks from the second anniversary of the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria and the memories of destruction and loss are rearing their head again.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2011/01/11/3110183.htm

What people seem to forget is that QLD was flooded the time of Black Friday and has flooded three times since then, We should be Fuppin used to it by now, but then you've still got fools wanderin out and gettin themselves drowned out of PURE STUPIDITY.

when it Rains here it Fuppin rains, this flood has been due for the last 5 Years.

I will concede tho that this Rain is unprecedented for a LOT of people but there are older guys here Who remember the 74 Floods. it rained like this then too, and apparently it has done it a few times before.

this is just makin panic because its falling on Population this time, Did anyone give a fcuk when our property in FNQ was under 3M of water??

A lot of what you see in the media is Hyped to the max

to those people Whose houses are going under

YOU BOUGHT A HOUSE IN A FLOODPLANE

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT

Oooooo sympathy fail Mahatma!

Though in fairness, there's a reason why the below picture is a house design called a 'Queenslander' - where there's no bottom floor because it'll be UNDERWATER.

9006172_1.jpg

Still there are nine confirmed deaths and over 50 people in the Lockyer valley still unaccounted for, and this smacks to me of what happened after the bushfires, where the death toll far exceeded anything that initial estimations imagined.

Brisbane river has burst its banks.

We have been sittin here for tha Last Month is QLD watchin this build and build, anyone who has been 'Caught Unaware' has only themselves to blame, if you are runnin around tryin to Shore up your defences now you have FAILED and have no sympathy from me.

Toowoomba and the Lockyer valley were tragic, but not unexpected

The Brisbane stuff I can agree with, sad but you shouldn't be caught unawares. Everyone there has plenty of time to clear out themselves, their families, their animals, their possessions.

But Toowoomba?? That town's 700m above sea level! How could anyone have expected that main street tsunami? (Genuine question)

ah but have you been to Toowoomba??

its a 'Cauldera' in a big catchment area and its not unusual for it to flood

ah okay - thanks I was having trouble visualising how it's happened.

hope the wivenhoe dam was built before the corner-cutting era... :O

• Advertisement

the people in Lockyer Valley had a good Five hours to get their Sh!t together.

wouldnt you have love 5 hours on Black Saturday

Sir Joh built Wivenhoe so Overkill to the Nth

its at 190% capacity and the current figure for release is being calculated as TWICE the Volume of sydney Harbour

:( The biggest thing I remember about Black Saturday was flying completely blind. We had no goddamn clue what was going on. I can remember the ambulance bay doors opening and stepping out into a wall of 50 degree heat with the sky boiling orange and not knowing if there was a wall of fire due over the hill behind the hospital or if it was 10 miles away and heading in the opposite direction.

Still people do stupid stuff - I watched a guy on ABC news taking the air out of his tyres so he could drive his 4x4 away from the floodwaters.

OK, change of tack here, This one is now Definitley BIG, the Creek out the back has been up and down with teh tide for the last few Weeks, but this is Different, theres s ferocity in the flow that I havent seeen before, its Low tide now, that usually means that the water is back to the bank on this side, but its at High tide levels now and its only gonna keep climbin, I fully expect the Merc to be Submerged tonight, might see if I can find a camera :)

OK, change of tack here, This one is now Definitley BIG, the Creek out the back has been up and down with teh tide for the last few Weeks, but this is Different, theres s ferocity in the flow that I havent seeen before, its Low tide now, that usually means that the water is back to the bank on this side, but its at High tide levels now and its only gonna keep climbin, I fully expect the Merc to be Submerged tonight, might see if I can find a camera :)
    webcam with live stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

can't you move the merc to somewhere where it will be safe? how much did you pay for it?

The Merc is Currently submerged to the wheel arches, so no movin it, its a 'Fixer' that I parked down there ages ago. I'm not worried about it Hell the Sunroof is open :rolleyes: but its a good marker for the Waterlevels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Seán_B

:( The biggest thing I remember about Black Saturday was flying completely blind. We had no goddamn clue what was going on. I can remember the ambulance bay doors opening and stepping out into a wall of 50 degree heat with the sky boiling orange and not knowing if there was a wall of fire due over the hill behind the hospital or if it was 10 miles away and heading in the opposite direction.

Still people do stupid stuff - I watched a guy on ABC news taking the air out of his tyres so he could drive his 4x4 away from the floodwaters.

He wasn't letting air out - he was locking the free wheel hubs so that he could engage his four wheel drive.
    Agree it's risky, but I reckon I'd have done the same!

• Advertisement

Ah I seeeee!! I thought he was deflating them so he wouldn't float as much or somesuch!!

Advertisement