Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queensland Flood Updates

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I can hear the Creek from here now, its still raining albeit Lighter than before, the Frogs stopped a while ago now all i hear is the Creek and the Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I can hear the Creek from here now, its still raining albeit Lighter than before, the Frogs stopped a while ago now all i hear is the Creek and the Rain
    363 sounds almost like something out of a scary movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

looking at these posts, i see all are logging in from australia, i am here in ireland, we are froozen out of it, but it is better than the flooding, i was looking at sky news a while ago and did not realise until then that there are many deaths and an auful lot of people missing due to this disaster, can anyone tell me if this kind of event has happened in these same places previously or is it the first time, which would explain how hard it is on everyone, i wish everyone safety right now, keep us updated,,,,,, as ireland is loosing all her young people to emmigration and the majority are going down under, were broke here, while youre flooded out there

goat2 wrote: »
    looking at these posts, i see all are logging in from australia, i am here in ireland
    can anyone tell me if this kind of event has happened in these same places previously or is it the first time
    as ireland is loosing all her young people to emmigration and the majority are going down under
    eh!?

I'm not in Aus. not yet at least :D I will be escaping come March though.

Floods and droughts are a regular pattern in Australia. Though i don't believe there's been one quite this bad in decades though.

are you going for a year or a few months
    possibly for life!
    no doubt you will meet plenty from this country
    I wouldn't count on it. Spent 15 concurrent months there in the last two years, met one other paddy, in passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

New images released by NASA document the extensive flooding in Queensland

queensland%20flood.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

can anyone tell me if this kind of event has happened in these same places previously or is it the first time

Flooding and road closures happen virtually every year, but not on this scale.

The previous bad floods were in 1974, and the shape of Brisbane has changed considerably since then. There are more people in more buildings, and the traditional style of the old Queenslander house has been abandoned - with unjustified complacency IMHO, for standard single storey timber frame housing. Not that the Queenslander house style would save you in these floods - these are exceptional floods.

54 suburbs in Brisbane are on alert this morning. They're now comparing the floods in some regions, which have exceeded the levels of 1974, to flooding last seen in the late 1800s.

The rivers are rising to ridiculous levels - 20 metres, 21 metres, 22 metres. They're swamping the towns and districts around them.

10 people are confirmed dead, and as of this morning there are 90 people missing. The force of the influx in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley took a lot of people by surprise. The state premier has declared on the news that she is highly concerned about the bad news that the emergency clean up will reveal.

If you can imagine, Ipswich is currently submerging, with 11am marked as the dangerous time where the river will peak. The Ipswich CBD main street, which was dry as a bone yesterday, is under a couple of metres of water today. However these submersions are slow - the water is creeping, steadily, but creeping, giving people the opportunity to get out and get their possessions and pets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Doesn't somebody here live in Auchenflower? Can't remember who it is but if you read this, I'm just up in Paddington so send me a PM if you need a hand. Same for others around the place, will help if I can.

Just saw on TV that the water us about 5 mins walk from my house.

Scary stuff for those affected :(

I used to live in Auchenflower, but I dont anymore, My friend is in Paddo right now He spent Yesrterday unbolting all the MAchinery in his Workshop and loading it ito his Van, his Workshop is at the Bottom of Douglas St and is Flooded, he's currently on his way yo New Farm to see if ters anything rescuable in his furniture Showroom.
    Plus side, if anyone wants to buy a Zinc Table I'll have a few ''Slightly" waterdamaged models on sale shortly :D:D

He Just said that they intend to SHUT DOWN the City of Brisbane in 2 hours :eek:

• Advertisement

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/brisbanes-suncorp-staudium-on-fire/story-e6frfku0-1225986177554

Suncorp stadium on Fire :eek:

Right so, I suppose its time to start crackin skulls and feastin on the goo:D:D:D

Heres some interesting and useful information
    http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/#maps

its a projection of where Floodwaters will go, Suburb by Suburb, Both my Houses are fine :D:D according to this, Well the one in Kedron would have been at risk had the copuncil not kindly dug a 2KM tunnel outside it, I'm fairly sure that'll take the brunt of the Water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/brisbanes-suncorp-staudium-on-fire/story-e6frfku0-1225986177554

Suncorp stadium on Fire :eek:

Right so, I suppose its time to start crackin skulls and feastin on the goo:D:D:D

Looking at the Suncorp from my window, it's not on fire!

Well I presume they've managed to Put it out ;) in the Four hours since I posted that

I believe there is a fire in some part of the Suncorp Stadium based on an eyewitness report on abc news radio - doesn't mean the whole stadium is alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The website cudo are doing $ match (up to $100) on donations
    http://cudo.com.au/brisbane

Hey Lets do a fundraiser on Boards

All donations to
    the

Get Mahatmas Merc out of the Creek - Fund
    C/O
    Bank of Queensland

or you can just PM me your Credit Card details.

I'm ot too bad tho, theres a fair chance my cars will run after all this, a friend of mine up in Morayfield found her 08 Golf upside down on the other side of the Street, Every single electronic component is Rooted, VW Wrote it off for her there and then, apparently a lot of the newer cars have so many computer controlled bits that its a Full rebuild to get them running

Hey Lets do a fundraiser on Boards

All donations to
    the

Get Mahatmas Merc out of the Creek - Fund
    C/O
    Bank of Queensland

or you can just PM me your Credit Card details.

I believe the correct response to this is:
    We have been sittin here for tha Last Month is QLD watchin this build and build, anyone who has been 'Caught Unaware' has only themselves to blame, if you are runnin around tryin to Shore up your defences now you have FAILED and have no sympathy from me.

:D

Still you're lucky if its still outside your house, as opposed to floating out to sea or stacked in some sort of multi-car pileup.

Australia meeja though - was interested to see the abc pick up on the whole 'Will the Wivenhoe Hold' story and have seen and read various segments addressing the worst case scenario...

I believe the correct response to this is:

:D

Still you're lucky if its still outside your house, as opposed to floating out to sea or stacked in some sort of multi-car pileup.

Tuoche :o
    Australia meeja though - was interested to see the abc pick up on the whole 'Will the Wivenhoe Hold' story and have seen and read various segments addressing the worst case scenario...

Any mention of the fuseable Bung Failsafe on the overflow???

the Dam is almost at 200% at 225% that Fails spectacularly

Just started rainin again here :(
    Heavy there for a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Are you sat typing in your armbands...?

Nah we're fine, my Pallet and tarp flood barrier is startin to look like a bit of overkill, but it was lappin a few inches from it last night, I took some photos today on me mates iPhone, so whenever he emails them to me I'll show you it at half tide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

are they going to sink that ferry thats broken a line?

OHHHHHH F'uckin YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Just caught the news, I've been concentratin the efforts on Brisbane for the last two weeks, and now THE FVCKIN FARM HAS BEEN DECLARED A DISASTER AREA, fVckin Clarence River and its Tributarys that flow from Tenterfield:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just caught the news, I've been concentratin the efforts on Brisbane for the last two weeks, and now THE FVCKIN FARM HAS BEEN DECLARED A DISASTER AREA, fVckin Clarence River and its Tributarys that flow from Tenterfield:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    i don't get it!

My spuds will get IT tho:(

Scary to see what they say might happen in Brisbane

Model shows Brisbane in possible 'extreme' flood

And some of the stories on News.com.au are heartbreaking

All i know is when I move to Melbourne soon i'll be join the local rescue group there .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

My cousin lost his crop as well. 6 years of nothing because of drought. Massive crop this year, wiped out by a flood. I would say he is raging. This was in western NSW as well believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TABgirl

The news is getting better by the hour. It’s a BLUE SKY NEWS DAY!!

BRUCE HIGHWAY at ROCKHAMPTON OPEN BY SATURDAY?

Flood waters are receding! The Fitzroy River at Rockhampton is predicted to fall to 8.5 m by this weekend. 8.5 metres is the magical number that should see the Bruce Highway open!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t tell you how brilliant this news is!!! See Bureau or Met report for Fitzroy River http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20765.html
    Rockhampton local Newspaper reports Bruce Highway could be open as early as Saturday Woo Hoo!

The road closures at Gympie, Coffs Harbour and Ballina will all be OPEN by then as well.

So let’s add a little bit of a safety margin and say that by Monday 17th of January all major road closures will be OPEN.

More details on our Blog

• Advertisement

The Aftermath of flooding in Brisbane yesterday

Hope the worst is over for them

Advertisement