Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Limerick

• 10-01-2011 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

I was recently let go from my job :( and I'm considering doing volunteer work in Limerick. Thing is, of the two sites I visited, neither show there to be a volunteer centre in Limerick. Hopefully I'm wrong but if true, it's disgraceful that the third biggest city doesn't have a volunteer centre.

Anyways, is there anyone else doing volunteer work in Limerick? Have you any tips or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

http://volunteerlimerick.ie/

Have a look through here and see if anything interests you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Fair play to you, I think its a great attitude.

Also I think any Manager/HR Personnel interviewing candidates for any position would or should be very impressed by a job applicant who has been volunteering since redundancy.

- Maybe if you gave your profession/skillset People might have suggestions?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Sorry to hear you've been let go, but fair play to you for having the right attitude, hopefully you won't be out for long.

My suggestion, if you're at all interested would be to check out the Limerick unit of the Order of Malta, you can PM me for details if so inclined. Just threw it out there as not only is it a worthy cause but you stand to gain new skills which could make you more attractive to prospective employers.
    Of course as a member, I'm biased so I should point out that Civil Defence/Red Cross/St. John's Ambulance are all worth checking out either.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

Civil defence :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Janet1986 wrote: »
    Civil defence :)

As a member of the Civil Defence, I could do nothing else but recommend it. Great organisation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

As a member of the Civil Defence, I could do nothing else but recommend it. Great organisation. :)

My Mother is an Officer in Cival in Welfare and I was involved in my youth, but she told me not to join, because its after going down the drain completely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My Mother is an Officer in Cival in Welfare and I was involved in my youth, but she told me not to join, because its after going down the drain completely.

Guess perceptions vary from person to person, but I would totally reject the idea that the organisation is "going down the drain" considering the organisation is receiving more competencies in recent years due to it being included in government national strategic plans and the like.

In anycase, if you want to join an organisation which will train and up-skill you, that brings together people from all walks of life and allows you to give something back to the community then I would seriously consider the Civil Defence, magma69.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

Guess perceptions vary from person to person, but I would totally reject the idea that the organisation is "going down the drain" considering the organisation is receiving more competencies in recent years due to it being included in government national strategic plans and the like.

In anycase, if you want to join an organisation which will train and up-skill you, that brings together people from all walks of life and allows you to give something back to the community then I would seriously consider the Civil Defence, magma69.

I'm in the civil defence myself and love it.

My sister was with the red cross and she said she would not recommend it. Alot of dodgy goings on in there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

So what kind of work do you want to do, Magma? It's difficult to make suggestions without some kind of a steer. Like do you want to work in sport? With older people? on special events? On fundraising? with youth groups? Do you have useful skills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

Just spotted this, might be worth thinking about.

http://www.limericksamaritans.org/events.html#ON

• Advertisement
Advertisement