Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving in Honduras

• 10-01-2011 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey Guys

Thinking of going to Honduras for a week or two of diving in September this year. Just wondering if anyone has ever been over to dive and how you found it? Was the diving itself good and was it pricey etc, also interested to hear what the place was like in general and was it priced well or ott.

Specifically we're going to dive in the bay islands somewhere and maybe do some backpacking for a few days to a week.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi serco,

I havent been myself but last year i had planned on going to do an internship there but never got to go in the end.

From what i found out while researching, the diving is great and its one of the cheapest places to dive in the world. Whale sharks pass through too.

Look at Roatan and the cheapest place is called Utila as far as i can remember.

With regard to backpacking, the islands themselves are pretty small from what i gather so you may want to head to the mainland to travel a bit but i also hear its not a place without its troubles so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

Diving and backpacking are cheap in Honduras.

The main spots are the islands Roatan and Utila.

Word of warning: these places are some of the main drug-trafficking islands in the Caribbean. As a result drugs are cheap and abundant.
    I have met many people there who have found themselves stuck on the islands with a serious debt/habit...

If you are that way inclined, be warned.

Off-topic but I hope relevent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I did my OW on Cayos Cochinos last summer, lovely place! Met a few people out there who worked in Utila as divemasters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Collinr

I spent two weeks diving on Utila, it was cheap enough, maybe working out at about $25 a dive i think, but it was two years ago so im not sure what the prices would be like now. Great visibilty, saw some stingrays, and i think Sept would be a good time to see whale sharks aswell. At most shops you get free accomodation while you are diving. I was diving with Altons but there are loads of diveshops to choose from. Apart from the diving there really isnt anything else to do, and the island isnt cheap for food etc, so if you want to travel a bit then you would have to head back to the mainland. Hope this helps :)

Advertisement