Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAPPHIRE TE RADEON HD 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI-E VGA DVI-I HDMI LP HEATSIN

Options
  • 10-01-2011 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All,

I resently installed a SAPPHIRE TE RADEON HD 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI-E VGA DVI-I HDMI LP HEATSIN card into my computer in order to connect my computer to my tv using a HDMI cable. Now I seem to have a problem with my sound. I used to connect my computer to my TV via the ear phone jack which no longer seems to be working. I had a quick look at the settings & it all seems to be ok as far as I can see, though I am only a beginner at this.

Now I was thinking of installing a new sound card ( a Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 VX/24-bit PCI 6 channel ( 5.1 ) sound card) anyway as I intend to add a subwoofer & speakers in time. I was wondering if I got this card now & installed it, would it solve my problem now & give me sound using the same lead I used to use from the ear phone jack to my TV until I get the cash to buy a sound system.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Goonup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Yes the soundcard will work but NOT for Bluray movies and 5.1 audio, you need to carry the audio over the HDMI for that, the 4350 is a HD model so it should have a sound card built in and carry the audio over HDMI but for this to work you need to use the DVI->HDMI connector that came with the card( these arent standard as normally DVI doesnt carry audio, so you cant use a regular DVI->HDMI connector )

If you dont have a bluray drive you can just add the audio card though and everything will work as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Yes the soundcard will work but NOT for Bluray movies and 5.1 audio, you need to carry the audio over the HDMI for that, the 4350 is a HD model so it should have a sound card built in and carry the audio over HDMI but for this to work you need to use the DVI->HDMI connector that came with the card( these arent standard as normally DVI doesnt carry audio, so you cant use a regular DVI->HDMI connector )

If you dont have a bluray drive you can just add the audio card though and everything will work as expected.

Hi Imimmfn,

Thanks for your help. So as I understand it, I need to get a specical DVI->HDMI connector, connect this onto the DVI connection on the card, connect the HDMI cable to the DVI->HDMI connector, & then connect onto the TV. I will then be able to get both sound & picture on my TV through the HDMI cable.

I didnt get a specical DVI->HDMI connector with the card. Would ypo be able to point one out to me as I cant seem to find one & dont really know wat im looking for.

Thanks,
    Goonup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

goonup wrote: »
    Hi Imimmfn,

Thanks for your help. So as I understand it, I need to get a specical DVI->HDMI connector, connect this onto the DVI connection on the card, connect the HDMI cable to the DVI->HDMI connector, & then connect onto the TV. I will then be able to get both sound & picture on my TV through the HDMI cable.

I didnt get a specical DVI->HDMI connector with the card. Would ypo be able to point one out to me as I cant seem to find one & dont really know wat im looking for.

Thanks,
    Goonup

If you bought the card new it should have been in the box (unless there is a dedicated hdmi port on the card).

You can buy them for about a fiver i think.

Link to one on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Original-ATI-Radeon-Graphics-DVI-HDMI-Adapter-NEW-/160529231057?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item256049acd1

THough i would put up a want advert on adverts.ie. You would be surprised how generous people are, you may get one for free. Its happened me in the past.

Advertisement