Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split CV boot

• 10-01-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need a new cv boot on my ford mondeo. I understand its a complicated enough job for a novice like myself. So heard about split boots. Are these ok to use? or would i be better off getting a proper one and getting a mechanic to fit it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Hi,
    I need a new cv boot on my ford mondeo. I understand its a complicated enough job for a novice like myself. So heard about split boots. Are these ok to use? or would i be better off getting a proper one and getting a mechanic to fit it?

Thanks

I'm not too sure what it's like to do on a mondeo, but I've done the cv booth before on a toyota and it was a pretty handy one, booth cost less then 10 euro with grease. I wouldn't drive around with the split booth for too long, could end up costing you a lot more then a 10er, in saying that it's not the most urgent thing in the world either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I was looking at it in the Haynes manual for the car and i don't think i'd have the know how to do it... my first car so i'm trying to ease myself into the mechanical end of it. Just noticed the cv booth as I was getting a bumper fitted so had the car up on the lift. So don't know how long its been broken.

So split boots are only a temp job really is it? It'd be allright to wait another week to get it done would it (i'll be driving about 400 miles in the mean time). No idea how long its been damaged!

P.s. is it boot or booth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I was looking at it in the Haynes manual for the car and i don't think i'd have the know how to do it... my first car so i'm trying to ease myself into the mechanical end of it. Just noticed the cv booth as I was getting a bumper fitted so had the car up on the lift. So don't know how long its been broken.

So split boots are only a temp job really is it? It'd be allright to wait another week to get it done would it (i'll be driving about 400 miles in the mean time). No idea how long its been damaged!

P.s. is it boot or booth?

That's understandable, it can be pretty intimidating starting off with the diy stuff, google and youtube are your friends though, I managed to find vids on youtube showing how to do servicing items on my own car. Once there's grease left inside the boot (I think it may be boot lol) you should be fine, might be worth checking though, if not maybe stuff some in and wrap it temporarily with some electrical tape to hold it on the joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a split boot. Newer ones with bolts should last years whereas the old glue-on ones seems a bit more unreliable.
    Do some research and get one that has been recommended.

K601026759AFT%20T1%20CV%20Boot%20Kit_2.jpg

Thinking i might have a CV joint problem now! When i lock fully in any direction the car doesn't drive smoothly... its jumpy.... would this be a cv joint problem?

It's been like this since i got the car about 2 months ago... never knew what it was but thinking that maybe its related to having no cv boot... it only happens on full lock, otherwise i don't notice anything.

• Advertisement

If it's a CV joint it would knock like clack clack at every wheel rev. Not driving smoothly on full lock could well just be the power steering pump being at full lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, a CV issue would prob only manifest itself when steering full lock in one direction.
    If both directions makes noise power steering is more likely the cause of the noise. A lot of cars will make noise at full lock so doesn't have to be a serious issue.
    Let a mechanic have a look unless you can lift car and check boots yourself.

ok cool. so CV joints would seem to be ok so. I'll leave it to my mechanic and get him to fit a new boot next week, and see what his opinion in! Hard for people to diagnose exactly based on me trying to describe what the noise sounds like! THanks for the help!

Advertisement