Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overloading training demands?

• 10-01-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

So my lad(4 months), so far has sit and paw down to a T. Stay is good and lie down is getting there. Have been teaching lie down for the past 2 weeks as it seems to be coming on slower than the others. My worry is that I might be pushing too hard and am not sure how much new info he can take in, so I am a bit cautious to move on to something new?

Does anyone know what is the right pace to be training a pup so that their head does not explode!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

How much each time do you spend a night training the dog?
    I have let the pup burn off the excitment and then spend 10 minutes training one command at a time till it has them perfected before moving to the next.
    At 4months he is still very young and you have plenty of time still.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Usually about 15 mins a night. After that he just gets bored and switches off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I would say if he is getting bored after 15 minutes then shorten it to 10, that way the session is ending when you say so not him ;) Start with short periods and build it up very slowly as you are also inadvertantly training the dog as to when you want his attention and you don't want to give him too much option of deciding himself if he wants to give it or not.

Advertisement