Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Estates with Irish Names

Options
  • 10-01-2011 11:08am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any reason housing estates in mostly English speaking areas (the few that are in this country...) are in Irish?? Is it really just because some gobeen thinks it sounds posh??

I'm looking at the website on ghost estates and about 70% of the ones I've clicked on have Irish names, and I've often seen a few with grammatically incorrect names.

I automatically pass over these estates when house hunting. Is there any reason for it?

(I'm a Gaeilgeoir before someone accuses me of being anti-Irish language - I just don't like snobbery)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dory wrote: »
    Is there any reason housing estates in mostly English speaking areas (the few that are in this country...) are in Irish?? Is it really just because some gobeen thinks it sounds posh??

I'm looking at the website on ghost estates and about 70% of the ones I've clicked on have Irish names, and I've often seen a few with grammatically incorrect names.

I automatically pass over these estates when house hunting. Is there any reason for it?

I dont know why you'd pass up on a house based on the estate name but thats neither here nor there.

There are a lot around Galway with Irish names on them and some, as you've pointed out with incorrect spelling and grammer.
    It doesnt bother me, its a lot better than generic English names, there must be about 15 "The willows", "The Oaks" etc around the country if not more.
    There are a plethora of Equiine based estate names, in both English and Irish around Ballybrit in Galway, think this is a good thing to be honest. Perhaps not as appropriate in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Grianan Fidh in Sandyford is a good example whereas in Swords there's a Glen Ellen in Swords (vineyard?).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

kippy wrote: »
    I dont know why you'd pass up on a house based on the estate name but thats neither here nor there.

Ah I wouldn't really it's just something that baffles me and I was wondering if it baffles anyone else too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I remember something about one of the councils wanting all housing estates to have Irish names. I don't remember if it passed or not but this could be a reason for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I think that some local authorities (Cork City could be one of them) introduced a rule a few years ago forcing developers to use Irish-only estate names. Dublin City were talking about doing the same a few months ago but I dunno if anything came of it.

• Advertisement

I was wondering if there was some council thing involved, or some financial incentive. I shall investigate....

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I dont see the problem with Irish names in english speaking areas. The more irish language we can have in this country the better, imo. Most Irish placenames in Ireland have their routes in Irish anyway.

I dont buy the argument that its people trying to be posh. Its the same as people giving out about gaelscoils. I cant really speak Irish (or have kids), but I would like to see the language grow. Im not trying to be posh, I just dont want to see the language die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

You are correct, most people would not like to live in a housing estate with a very Irish language name. Thats the market reality. Some local authorities may try to insist estates / developments having irish language names but its well known that those houses sell less well than others .

jimmmy wrote: »
    You are correct, most people would not like to live in a housing estate with a very Irish language name. Thats the market reality. Some local authorities may try to insist estates / developments having irish language names but its well known that those houses sell less well than others .

"Well known"?
    Where are you getting that "statistic" from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

There's an estate in Ennis near me called Ard Na Greiné. Has been there for at least 50 years. There's also one near it called tobertaiscán. And they're by no means posh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd prefer Irish names rather than "Tuscany Downs",a local estate. I'd prefer a proper Irish spelling for the estates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

"Well known"?
    Where are you getting that "statistic" from?

I think he was being sarcastic. I certainly hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

marathont wrote: »
    I dont see the problem with Irish names in english speaking areas. The more irish language we can have in this country the better, imo. Most Irish placenames in Ireland have their routes in Irish anyway.

I dont buy the argument that its people trying to be posh. Its the same as people giving out about gaelscoils. I cant really speak Irish (or have kids), but I would like to see the language grow. Im not trying to be posh, I just dont want to see the language die.

Why? It confuses tourists and does nothing for the majority of irish people

Why, because we are Irish, we dont have to lose everything that gives us identity and the Irish language isnt that big of a deal for most people, tourists included, especially at the level of housing estate names.

We've plenty negative stereotypes that set us apart the Irish language is a positive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Well French confuses me but you don't see me in France screaming "speak bloody English"!

That's just ignorance imo. Besides, the yanks love a bit of diddly ei o and when they (or any tourist) come to ireland I really doubt they are travelling around on their tour busses looking at housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

OP what do you mean by a Gaeilgeoir?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've often found its the opposite to what the OP says. Many new 'middle to upper class' estates in Dublin for example do not have a bit of Irish names in them. They are often named after some English village/county and same goes for those built pre-boom.

I'd love to buy/live in an area with Irish names in it, makes one proud ;)

sealgaire wrote: »
    OP what do you mean by a Gaeilgeoir?

Just meant that I'm an Irish speaker, Irish language lover etc. So that I wasn't attacking the language, just genuinely wondering why so many developers choose Irish names. And that has been mostly answered. Thanks!

The same as why most people do not buy products Irish language names in supermarkets or shops. Irish language names are much less appealing to most people. Try to sell something with an irish language name and you will find that out soon enough.;)

The same as why most people do not buy products Irish language names in supermarkets or shops. Irish language names are much less appealing to most people. Try to sell something with an irish language name and you will find that out soon enough.;)

Thats complete nonsense and cannot in any way be applied to housing.
    Are you still being sarcastic?

• Advertisement

I don't pass over because its in Irish, I pass over because it's ****e Irish mostly, nonsensical things that often make no grammatical sense. I should have been clearer.

I don't pass over because its in Irish, I pass over because it's ****e Irish mostly, nonsensical things that often make no grammatical sense. I should have been clearer.

There are a lot out there with incorrect grammar alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The english names hardly make much sense either tbh!

The same as why most people do not buy products Irish language names in supermarkets or shops. Irish language names are much less appealing to most people. Try to sell something with an irish language name and you will find that out soon enough.wink.gif
    Thats complete nonsense and cannot in any way be applied to housing.
    Are you still being sarcastic?
    No I am not. Ask any auctioneer - Irish language names are much less appealing to most people. Any developer who has been forced by the local authorities to name a housing development in the Irish language is not a happy camper, and auctioneers who have tried to sell something with an awkward irish language name have found it does not help, to put it mildly, with most potential purchasers. The market decides. So its a bit like why almost nothing for sale in the shops has an irish language name.
    Like it or not, thats the reality.

The same as why most people do not buy products Irish language names in supermarkets or shops. Irish language names are much less appealing to most people. Try to sell something with an irish language name and you will find that out soon enough.wink.gif

No I am not. Ask any auctioneer - Irish language names are much less appealing to most people. Any developer who has been forced by the local authorities to name a housing development in the Irish language is not a happy camper, and auctioneers who have tried to sell something with an awkward irish language name have found it does not help, to put it mildly, with most potential purchasers. The market decides. So its a bit like why almost nothing for sale in the shops has an irish language name.
    I have yet to see an empty irish named housing estate, in the Galway area anyway.
    There are far more important and critical aspects buyers take into account. The estate name, really isnt one of them.

Absolutely ridiculous claim to make tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

tbh i dont mind if a place has an english or an irish name, so long as the name is indigenous to the area or relevant to it's history, i.e balally or wyckham in the dundrum area. about 5 years ago some developer built this in the area where i live: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=992336

Southmede. that's what they called it. southmede.:mad::mad: I've never, ever heard that name mentioned in relation to the dundrum area, ever.

i've consulted all of the historical information sources concerning dundrum that are available and not once has that name popped up. You'd think that the developers would do just a tiny tap of research into the area that they were building in, try and come up with a name thats appropriate to the area.:rolleyes::rolleyes: then again i might as well ask for pigs to fly:rolleyes:

other examples of this naming travesty include tuscany downs in raheny and tudor lawns in foxrock. i mean, really?:rolleyes::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

There are 7 or 8 estates near me that were built on a hill behind a particular pub. Everyone of them is named Cnoc this or Ard that. But if you ask anyone where so and so lives?...the answer is nearly always..
    "Behind *insert pub name*"

(Excuse me OP,but my computer wont do fadas :o)

chucken1 wrote: »
    There are 7 or 8 estates near me that were built on a hill behind a particular pub. Everyone of them is named Cnoc this or Ard that. But if you ask anyone where so and so lives?...the answer is nearly always..

(Excuse me OP,but my computer wont do fadas :o)

In all fairness, you'll get that with english estate names as well.........

chucken1 wrote: »

Not that surprising. People generally find Irish names easy to forget / confusing / ugly / difficult to spell / less appealing...just the same as why when you go to a shop nothing you buy is named in the Irish language. Anything with an awkward Irish language name is a hard sell ( to most people ).

• Advertisement

Not that surprising. People generally find Irish names easy to forget / confusing / ugly / difficult to spell / less appealing...just the same as why when you go to a shop nothing you buy is named in the Irish language. Anything with an awkward Irish language name is a hard sell ( to most people ).
    Totally disagree.

Advertisement