Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Estates with Irish Names

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In Galway the new estates get Irish names, been like that for a decade now or more.
    Or at least they did when I was there

I like it, as said calling using Tudor in Ireland just doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, most every townland once had a name which then got bastarized into English.
    You can use the original name for the estate and it often describes the area better then some English placename which means nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

jimmmy wrote: »
    Not that surprising. People generally find Irish names easy to forget / confusing / ugly / difficult to spell / less appealing...just the same as why when you go to a shop nothing you buy is named in the Irish language. Anything with an awkward Irish language name is a hard sell ( to most people ).

I think it really depends on the name, sometimes the language can sound harsh in my opinion but then again sometimes the names are nice. Then again to an English speaker not used to gaelic trying to pronounce it phonetically it can be gibberish.
    Personally I think having names associated with the locality would be nice.
    Off topic, I remember seeing in Navan a development called Academy Square, complete with billboard picture of an oscar statue. Very tacky!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

dory wrote: »
    Just meant that I'm an Irish speaker, Irish language lover etc. So that I wasn't attacking the language, just genuinely wondering why so many developers choose Irish names. And that has been mostly answered. Thanks!

Ah right, no worries,

It's just that the phrase grates me . . ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

jimmmy wrote: »
    Not that surprising. jimmmy generally finds Irish names easy to forget / confusing / ugly / difficult to spell / less appealing...just the same as why when you go to a shop nothing jimmmy buys is named in the Irish language. Anything with an awkward Irish language name is a hard sell ( to jimmmy).

Now the post has some truth to it

Advertisement