Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supertext.

• 10-01-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Folks,

I've started using a free app called supertext It's a replacement for your normal messaging client but allows you to send free SMS between other supertext users, and normally to non-supertext users. It's got IM like feedback, you can see if your contact is on-line and can optionally send your location.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Is it just for Android or do you know can you send to iphone users as well, ie is there an iphone app

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Zagato wrote: »
    Is it just for Android or do you know can you send to iphone users as well, ie is there an iphone app

I don't think it's available for iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

I've been using SuperText for a couple of days - it seems pretty good. To get the best from the "free texting" feature, you'd need to get your friends and family to use it as well. (Texting is free between SuperText users, apparently, regardless of the networks they're on.)

It uses the phone's message store in the same way as the standard messaging app, so you can switch between the two without losing your messages. And it gives you an "iPhone-like" interface to your messages, which is fairly neat - especially if you've switched from the iPhone to Android, live I have.

The only drawback I can see is that it's an Android-only app - I don't think an iPhone app would be able to intercept incoming messages in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The only drawback I can see is that it's an Android-only app - I don't think an iPhone app would be able to intercept incoming messages in the same way.

There's no reason why the iPhone couldn't do the same (albeit from IOS4 on with multi-tasking). This is because it obviously sends the messages to a central server which uses a push mechanism to deliver them to the receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

FYI,

I use an app called Whatsapp. It's an instant messaging app that works across platforms - android, ios and bb.

Handy for free messaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

There's no reason why the iPhone couldn't do the same (albeit from IOS4 on with multi-tasking). This is because it obviously sends the messages to a central server which uses a push mechanism to deliver them to the receiver.

I guess I didn't make it clear what I meant. :) Supertext sends and receives both Supertext-to-supertext messages *and* normal SMS messages. You can configure it to totally replace the built-in messaging client, if you wish - then it is supertext that shows notifications when an SMS message arrives, supertext that launches when you click on that notification, etc.

Sure, an iPhone version of the app could handle the supertext-to-supertext messages, but there is no way it could handle the incoming SMS messages, replacing the built-in iOS messaging app in that role. In fact, I don't think it could even *send* SMS messages.

It's this "dual-mode" stuff that makes supertext interesting - it behaves either like an IM client (free messaging over the internet) or a replacement SMS client (using your SMS allowance), depending on whether the other person is also a supertext user. Either way, it's a single app for all your messaging. And the messages go into the phone's message store, so they're visible in the "standard" messaging client, too. Neat idea, I think. :)

Advertisement