Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a wetsuit - My experience

• 10-01-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

As the triathlon season approaches, I wanted to recount my experience in buying my first wetsuit last summer. It may help others in choosing the right size.

I had been using a Lidl Shorty in a sprint triathlon, and a few open water lake swims before I decided to splash out. I decided to go for the cheapest wetsuit I could get, so went for the Blue Seventy Sprint. It got good reviews.

I went to Wheelworx and sure enough they had lots in stock. Now I am not the slimest triathlete out there, in fact I am built more for Comfort, rather than speed. I usually wear large or xlarge in running gear, so decided that I was atleast a large in a wetsuit, maybe XL. I asked the assistant for a large... she looked at me and said, lets start with a medium large (ML) and go from there. Slightly flattered, I reluctantly agreed to try it on, fully sure it would be way too small. I adjourned to the changing room where I huffed and puffed to eventually get into the suit. I could hardly breath. At this stage the assistant came back. I expected her to tell me that the suit was too small, but the opposite happened. She told me, to my astonishment, that it was too big!!! and she returned with a medium Tall (next size down). I was unable to get this suit on unassisted, so the assistant returned and helped me getting into the suit. At this stage I felt very restricted. I could hardly move, but the assistant insisted that the suit was the correct size. Being a rookie, I went with that expert advice.

When I got it home, I tried it on, but was unable to get into it. I called the shop, and the same assistant told me to bring it back if I wanted her to show me how to get it on, but that the size was correct.

That night I went to the lake and did a 500m swim in the suit... and boy was she right. It felt like my second skin. No restriction, no chaffing, just great buoyancy and movement.

As a rookie I knew nothing about wetsuits, and had I ordered on the internet, or chose a size myself, I would probably have gone with a large or xlarge. Seek out good advice before purchasing and get it fitted correctly... you'll be glad in the long run.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya good post Domer - I went through the same process in IrishFit, I couldnt believe after 10 minutes trying to get into it in the toilet and failed that I came out and he zipped me up and said perfect.

I then started looking at a 3mm suit which he then proceeded to grill me about my swimming ability - when I told him I wasn't that good he insisted I needed a 5mm suit to help with my buoyancy. I much prefer open water swimming now as I find it way easier to swim with the wetsuit on as my posture is much better.

I got an Orca Sprint which I have been using for two years

I could do with an upgrade now alright but thats more because I have lost some weight since those days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

based on my own experiences ... never ever ever ever ... go to do this hung over. Regarding your first or any wetsuit - especially a tri wetsuit - fit is king. If a top end wetsuit doesnt fit properly it wont help you in the way that a well fitted cheaper one will.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Domer wrote: »
    As the triathlon season approaches, I wanted to recount my experience in buying my first wetsuit last summer. It may help others in choosing the right size.

I had been using a Lidl Shorty in a sprint triathlon, and a few open water lake swims before I decided to splash out. I decided to go for the cheapest wetsuit I could get, so went for the Blue Seventy Sprint. It got good reviews.

I went to Wheelworx and sure enough they had lots in stock. Now I am not the slimest triathlete out there, in fact I am built more for Comfort, rather than speed. I usually wear large or xlarge in running gear, so decided that I was atleast a large in a wetsuit, maybe XL. I asked the assistant for a large... she looked at me and said, lets start with a medium large (ML) and go from there. Slightly flattered, I reluctantly agreed to try it on, fully sure it would be way too small. I adjourned to the changing room where I huffed and puffed to eventually get into the suit. I could hardly breath. At this stage the assistant came back. I expected her to tell me that the suit was too small, but the opposite happened. She told me, to my astonishment, that it was too big!!! and she returned with a medium Tall (next size down). I was unable to get this suit on unassisted, so the assistant returned and helped me getting into the suit. At this stage I felt very restricted. I could hardly move, but the assistant insisted that the suit was the correct size. Being a rookie, I went with that expert advice.

When I got it home, I tried it on, but was unable to get into it. I called the shop, and the same assistant told me to bring it back if I wanted her to show me how to get it on, but that the size was correct.

That night I went to the lake and did a 500m swim in the suit... and boy was she right. It felt like my second skin. No restriction, no chaffing, just great buoyancy and movement.

As a rookie I knew nothing about wetsuits, and had I ordered on the internet, or chose a size myself, I would probably have gone with a large or xlarge. Seek out good advice before purchasing and get it fitted correctly... you'll be glad in the long run.

:D:D

I just bought a tri wesuit online. my first, but I think I have a fair idea how it fits. Last summer I bought a cheap wetsuit size large in a shop the women told me it was a good fit. I used it for tris (poor swims) I also used it as I started surfing. I then went to a surf shop to get a winter wetsuit. The girl pulled out a medium as it was the suit I looked at online. It took me ages to get on and like you to my astonishment she told me it was to big. 20 mins to get on the small size. I was convinced she was wrong and tried it on at home again it was soo tight that I got my arms stuck and it too me ages to get off:D. But after a few surfs it fits perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭topcat77

Thanks for sharing your experience, just bought my first Tri wetsuit yesterday. Bought the suit from Marreybikes.com in Ballinrobe Co Mayo. Had a 40% discount on a ZOOT Fuzion FS (€180!!!!!). The sales man initially recommended a Large but after reading this thread I asked to try on the Medium as well. Ended up getting the medium (need I say more) Thanks!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Slightly OT, but once I saw the "Marrey Bikes" reference my body just tensed up !

Bought a 75ml water bottle (Marrey Bikes branded) at the Westport S2S in November. Use it for my sports drink poolside for my 7am mornings sessions. So every time I see the name (as on the bottle) my body goes into the natural pain associated with sucking down isotonic drink in the middle of a 0700 session. To be fair though, reckon I would have drowned on numerous occasions if it wasn't for the bottle ;)

(40% discount on the Zoot suit sounds great)

• Advertisement
Advertisement