Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console app startup fast over RDP but painfully slow on actual

Options
  • 10-01-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for a high level bit of advice on something.

I have an application, written in C#. For the duration of testing, I have it running on a specific server as it needs specific hardware interaction. I am constantly RDP'd to this server during development / testing so always ran tests remotely.

While in RDP [to the console], the application is pretty fast to startup, taking only 7 seconds. However, if I close my RDP session and physically go to the server and run it [final non connectivity tests], it's a dawg to startup. Let's say that there are 100 steps in startup, it seems to sly through the first 13, then get's exponentially slower. So,

Step 13 might take 20 ms.
    Step 14 might take 30ms.
    Step 15 might take 50ms.
    Step 20 might take 2 seconds
    And get progressively slower.

I know I haven't mentioned any specifics about the entire process, NDA etc. However, I'm just looking for high level possibilities [ignore hardware]. Why would a console app be damn fast over RDP and dawg slow direct on the box.

I'm going to run it as a windows service to see if I get the same results. Not liking where this is going :(

Advertisement