Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yorkie having number two problems

• 10-01-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

im having problems with my yorkie lilly, on occasion she will get constipated and will crouch over with a look of pure terror on her face , she eats what the vet says ie , boiled heart ,liver , kidneys , chicken , and a egg once a fortnight.
    her rear area is kept very clean so the usual hair matting is not the problem .

the only unusual thing i can think of was last night we got a chinese and i gave her a rib bone to chew on , now it was just a bone there was no sauce on it or anything ,she just had a chew on it she didnt swallow any of it, my wife has the dog spoiled rotten , ie she will turn her nose up at dog food (the dog not the wife) ive tried every type of dog food but every time i put it in front of her , she gives me a look of utter disgust. i hate to see her in distress any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

You should never ever give a dog a cooked bone. It can splinter inside them amongst other things. I would get the dog to the vets immediately.

Also one of my dogs is small like a yorkie, and she cannot handle liver etc, it goes right through her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I presume you've brought her to the vet about this?

Initially looking at what you're feeding her, it seems to be a lot of protein with fat and very little of anything else. Do include any carbs/fibre when you feed her, such as boiled rice?

Dog food is generally a touch of perseverence with some testing. The dog doesn't get to decide what the dog eats. You're the boss, the dog eats what you give it (within reason of course). Dry food is quite easy to get started with. Stick it down in front of her. If she ignores it, try hand feeding her a couple of pieces to give her a taste and leave her with it. If she eats it from your hand, it means that she likes it, she's just not eating it cos she's holding out for some kidney, yum! Don't get sucked into feeding her the whole bowl from your hand, otherwise she will expect this every meal time.

If she hasn't eaten it 10 minutes later, take the dish away until the next meal time. Be tough on it - the dog will go hungry, but you're not being cruel. The dog won't starve while there's food available and it will eventually relent when it realises there's nothing else coming. Some dogs are stubborn on it, and it may take a couple of days. Don't worry, she won't die :)

Just wanted to add, as I appeared quite harsh in my post, it's just I am terrified of bones around dogs, especially the smallies.

You really do have to be cruel to be kind when it comes to the food. Years back my dogs would have a nibble on whatever I was having in between their meals. I got a fright one day when one guy had a reaction, NEVER again, since that moment, they get a crisp maybe once a week, but nothing else, it's not worth it.

Do what Seamus has suggested, it works!

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

seamus wrote: »
    I presume you've brought her to the vet about this?

Initially looking at what you're feeding her, it seems to be a lot of protein with fat and very little of anything else. Do include any carbs/fibre when you feed her, such as boiled rice?

Dog food is generally a touch of perseverence with some testing. The dog doesn't get to decide what the dog eats. You're the boss, the dog eats what you give it (within reason of course). Dry food is quite easy to get started with. Stick it down in front of her. If she ignores it, try hand feeding her a couple of pieces to give her a taste and leave her with it. If she eats it from your hand, it means that she likes it, she's just not eating it cos she's holding out for some kidney, yum! Don't get sucked into feeding her the whole bowl from your hand, otherwise she will expect this every meal time.

If she hasn't eaten it 10 minutes later, take the dish away until the next meal time. Be tough on it - the dog will go hungry, but you're not being cruel. The dog won't starve while there's food available and it will eventually relent when it realises there's nothing else coming. Some dogs are stubborn on it, and it may take a couple of days. Don't worry, she won't die :)

yes she has plenty of rice , most of the time its brown rice, when she was chewing the bone i had it in my hand so no part of the bone was digested , im very wary of bones with dogs, she does not get liver every day , its more like once a week , chicken once a week and so on, she also like cereal so she gets plenty of roughage , she just seemed a bit down this morning , mopey and tired , i brought her out for a walk and when she went to go toilet she had the problem and didnt go,
    shes now flying around the back garden after her ball , ive checked the back garden for evidence i havnt found any yet as its a large back garden,
    it looks as if all is well .
    i will keep a close eye on her today , she does seem to be back to her old self again.
    also is cereal ok for her , ie cornflakes ,rice crispies and such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

A small amount of sardines in oil will help with the constipation - she is so small so no more than a single sardine, I think. That or you can add a very small amount of bran or linseeds sprinkled over her food.

• Advertisement

Just wanted to add, as I appeared quite harsh in my post, it's just I am terrified of bones around dogs, especially the smallies.

You really do have to be cruel to be kind when it comes to the food. Years back my dogs would have a nibble on whatever I was having in between their meals. I got a fright one day when one guy had a reaction, NEVER again, since that moment, they get a crisp maybe once a week, but nothing else, it's not worth it.

Do what Seamus has suggested, it works!

All the best.
    well my hearth jumped a little when i read your post.

boomerang wrote: »
    A small amount of sardines in oil will help with the constipation - she is so small so no more than a single sardine, I think. That or you can add a very small amount of bran or linseeds sprinkled over her food.
    thanks for that , im going to try that with her now , ill hand feed it as im freaked out over bones now lol.
    can i buy the linseeds in like say tescos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

this happened my yorkie over xmas. i gave her a few mils of liquid parrafin twice aday. i also brought her to vet when they opened again. her anal glands was pretty full so vet emptied them, what a smell, this wasnt the cause but did them all the same. she is now fine.

Yep, you can get the linseed in the supermarket, just give her a very small amount, no more than a teaspoon. Repeat the following day if it doesn't have the desired effect. Same goes for the bran and sardines.

Forgot about the liquid parrafin, you can buy a small bottle of it in any chemist, ask them for a plastic syringe, she'll need a very small amount, 1ml to 2ml I'd say. It'd be cheaper than the linseeds.

You don't want to overdo any of the above (sardines, linseed, liquid parrafin) because it'll be too effective and give her runny poos!

If she had a good aul' gnaw on the rib, she might just be constipated from that - bones do cause constipation. You'll know it was the bone off the rib that caused the constipation if her poo is pretty white next time she does her business! My guys get bones about once a week but never cooked ones - I get raw marrow bones from the butcher, fine big ones so they can't swallow them whole and choke! They get hours of pleasure out of them and it keeps their teeth really clean. I get a few at a time and keep them in the freezer. No need to defrost first - adds to the challenge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

almanu wrote: »
    also is cereal ok for her , ie cornflakes ,rice crispies and such?
    I would avoid any foods processed for human consumption. The sugar and salt content in processed human foods in particular is quite high. We can generally tolerate it, but I don't know if dogs can.

I would say that you should always avoid feeding "your" food to your dog unless it's fresh meat or veg - like you're doing at present. Anything from a box or a can may be loaded with additives, which at best are unsuitable for your dog and at worst may be poisonous.

• Advertisement

i just gave her a drop of cod liver oil , i couldnt get linseed oil and have tried her with some tinned mackerel , its also an oily fish so i really hope that works, i feel a bit better now as she seems to be full of life running around the back garden , a vast improvement on this morning, it would seem she done the job i just cant find the bloody thing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

boomerang wrote: »

Forgot about the liquid parrafin, you can buy a small bottle of it in any chemist, ask them for a plastic syringe, she'll need a very small amount, 1ml to 2ml I'd say.
    Second the liquid paraffin too, its quite good at "loosening" things up a bit. You can squirt it directly into her mouth a few times a week or over her food. It can have the opposite effect if you give too much.

i just gave her a drop of cod liver oil , i couldnt get linseed oil and have tried her with some tinned mackerel.

Linseeds, OP, not linseed oil. ;)

Personally I steer clear of the tinned mackerel and tinned salmon as the bones, while soft, are that bit bigger and could lodge in the throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

Just give him some castor oil and he'll be fine. No need to worry.

thanks alot every one for your input , shes grand now not a bother on her , she seems to like the mackerel , i got the skinned and boned stuff and i just crumbled it in her bowl with my hand , thats a new one one her menu now , maybe once a fortnight .thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, when i my had bowel problems i used give him a handfull of all bran (dry) in with his nuts and they workied a treat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My dog has problems with his anal gland filling up. Vet suggested putting psyllium husk on his food. That works pretty well too! :D

Almanu, sorry for putting the ****ters up you.:D best of luck with your little lady.

Almanu, sorry for putting the ****ters up you.:D best of luck with your little lady.
    no probs its fine , i knew it wasnt the bone as i was holding it , shes grand now, i just love the little thing , ya know how it is.

no probs its fine , i knew it wasnt the bone as i was holding it , shes grand now, i just love the little thing , ya know how it is.

I get you there alright. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Skipmeister

My yorkie is a fussy eater but has taken to royal canin dry food, its especially for yorkies. Is stocked in most pet food shops.

Advertisement