Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printer;economical,easy to run

• 10-01-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

looking to purchase a printer..for basic printing. dont require color. but looking for something efficient, reliable, compact..anyone out there have any info..

many thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Choclolate

I was advised the Canon Printers was the most ecopnomical to run because the cartriges were cheaper.

This is from the guy in PC World.

Surley somebody has carried out a proper investigation or consumer expweriment on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 needdainfo

tanks for reply choclolate..yeah would have thought more people would have info on printers as am sure quite few people have em..u know if printer u mentioned is a lazer or other printer..

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

You don't say how much printing you'd be doing but I assume it'd be nothing major in which case you just need to consider inkjet printers. I personally have had bad experiences with Epson printers (always having tantrums and acting up like cranky children) but found HP and Canon grand. Lexmark are probably fine too. It's true that HP screw you on the ink cartridges but you can always get generic replacements rather than original HP ones. The key thing is that printers these days are often quite discounted (sometimes selling at less than the cost of a replacement cartridge!), coz the money is made on the consumable cartridges. My advice is to get something for ~50 quid max and it should give you a good 2 years of usage at least. When replacing cartridges, just go for the cheaper high capacity ones if possible. Beware that some colour printers insist on having a colour and black/white cartridge installed before they will print! While printer/scanner/copiers are quite cheap and common these days, they are not so compact compared to simple printers - but there is probably much more choice. Check out argos.ie or dabs.ie or elara.ie website to get a feeling for price, size etc.

Oh yeah, would highly recommend spending a bit extra (up to 75 quid say) on a wireless printer if it's to be used with a laptop. You still have to turn the thing on when printing but there's no messing around with USB cables, finding a place to put the laptop down and forgetting to connect the cable before printing etc. etc.!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 needdainfo

tanx 4 dat Mr. Thrifty..the amount of printing could vary, large reports, pages here and there..etc..had a Kodak Home Center (all in one)and its ruBBish..ink lasts few minutes and they are costly to purchase(inks, that is)was hoping to do a non-cartridge printer..or one that prints only using it minimally..will do a bit more research and also check out websites u mentioned..

• Advertisement

Actually ignore what I said.
    He actually said Kodax (got confused)

Back to stage one - which is most economical to run lets have a vote.

1) Kodax cause the guy in PC world said so

Sounds so like a mono laser printer might be up your street... Can get good bargains for ~100 to 150 quid but just make sure you check the cost AND availability of replacement cartridges (usually can get ~1k to 2k 'average' printouts from one). Oh yeah, check out pixmania.ie too now that I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You can't beat a cheap laser printer. Buy it, use it, when it runs out of ink get a refill kit from ebay. I have a samsung one i got in argos and i hammer off it for college stuff.

can you give some idea of the modle and costings etc.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement