Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This House....

• 10-01-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

...It needs cleaning, too many trolls getting away with murder around here lately.

How does one go about becoming a moderator on this site? It's something I'd say I'd be very good at.

No offence to the mods at the moment by the way, they all do a their best but i notice they have alot of boards to keep an eye on and it must be hard to find the time.

I could just mod this board and this board only, I'd run a tight ship but we can still enjoy ourselves in a well behaved manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

newportwex wrote: »
    ...It needs cleaning, too many trolls getting away with murder around here lately.

How does one go about becoming a moderator on this site? It's something I'd say I'd be very good at.

No offence to the mods at the moment by the way, they all do a their best but i notice they have alot of boards to keep an eye on and it must be hard to find the time.

I could just mod this board and this board only, I'd run a tight ship but we can still enjoy ourselves in a well behaved manner.

Could you give us an example of where a troll has got away with murder here. Will be interesting to see what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Where's Fade St Gal when you need her?

Seriously lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Odats wrote: »
    Where's Fade St Gal when you need her?

Seriously lol.

No idea what that means. This is also something that I'll be looking to stamp out, pointless smart ass posts on threads where a genuine person is looking for information.

It's rife around here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

No idea what that means. This is also something that I'll be looking to stamp out, pointless smart ass posts on threads where a genuine person is looking for information.

It's rife around here lately.

internet-serious-business.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Starting a thread which basically accuses the mods of not doing their jobs properly and the posters of misbehaving is not only inaccurate, but also borderline trolling. The mods do a good job here and humour is needed in every walk of life.

Now eff off with your nonsense, or I'll ban you...or at least I would...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm glad you asked,

It's in the terms and conditions (but who reads those right :))

generally when you reach the 1000 post mark any user can challenge who they consider the weakest mod to fistycuffs (to the death in most cases) we find it best because it keeps the current mods on their toes.

Now Strangely nobody ever challenges Sully I assume it's mainly as a mark of respect because he is getting old. *

* there is a high five waiting for anbody who knows what I'm paraphrasing.

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm glad you asked,

It's in the terms and conditions (but who reads those right :))

generally when you reach the 1000 post mark any user can challenge who they consider the weakest mod to fistycuffs (to the death in most cases) we find it best because it keeps the current mods on their toes.

Now Strangely nobody ever challenges Sully I assume it's mainly as a mark of respect because he is getting old. *

* there is a high five waiting for anbody who knows what I'm paraphrasing.

Oh Dear, another bland post for us to cringe to...

Any good yellow house jokes lately mate? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Any good yellow house jokes lately mate? :rolleyes:

Newportwex walks into the yellow house bar and gets the shít kicked out of him because he starts annoying everyone.

Badoom Kish!

A man walks into The Yellow House.............. his crippling alcoholism is destroying his young family and will surely lead to his death.

How's that?

A man walks into The Yellow House.............. his crippling alcoholism is destroying his young family and will surely lead to his death.

How's that?

It's a fairly old "man walks into a bar" joke but you've replaced the word "bar" with the words "yellow house".

Awful post.

Should you not be busy being ignored on other threads? The floodlit league one for example....

....generally when you reach the 1000 post mark any user can challenge who they consider the weakest mod to fistycuffs (to the death in most cases) we find it best because it keeps the current mods on their toes.....
    Having recently surpassed 1000 posts, I now challenge you to a 2/3 duel for your mod status.
    1st round: Troll hunting
    2nd round: Fisticuffs
    3rd round: Peanuts in pints tournament

Jesus,

You of all people should know that this is my bread and butter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's a fairly old "man walks into a bar" joke but you've replaced the word "bar" with the words "yellow house".

Awful post.

Should you not be busy being ignored on other threads? The floodlit league one for example....

Why you.... *shakes walking stick*

Well, thats me done for the day! Happy Modding folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

jaysus your only on the site a wet day and you wanna turn it upside down!!! why not start up your own website and do what ya want there, ya could call it the fourth reich or something along the lines of that!!!!

I only want to cut down on the amount of trolls and posters who only come on here to cause trouble bro, I've got no beef with you, so you should have no beef with NPW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

in fairness now newportwex sully who happens to be one of the top mods on this site never ever and i,m mean ever sleeps!!! he lives for this site and his moderator role, and if there,s a troll out there he,ll sort it, so chillax and just have the laugh, life should,nt be so serious!!

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

In fairness if that's true,its just sad.

Honestly i don't know why anybody would want to be a mod on this site,boards.ie is a profit making company and yet they have hundreds of people giving up there time and working for free for them.It says quite a lot about a mod actually when they are the ones working for free.

For me i see it as a power thing,maybe they were bullied in school and this is the only outlet they will ever have to show that they now have the power and not the bully,like in all honesty who would want to be a mod of the mustard forum or the cake & pie forum.And im sure some will say "well this site gave me a lot and i just want to give back" or something like "well i know so much about Mustard that it makes sense for me to be the mod".If a person is an expert on a subject then they should just give there input on it as a BM and not a mod.

Anyways that's just my two cents for what its worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Modding isn't all its cracked up to be tbh.

Except the coke and hookers. They're awesome.

^ Coke and Hookers?

Any Mod positions going over in the GAA fourm?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Could you give us an example of where a troll has got away with murder here. Will be interesting to see what you're talking about.

We had it up to our tits over the other place with the 3 amigos. UTD RIP!!!

Being serious for second...

newportwrex, you can't honestly expect anyone to believe you're fit to moderate this forum in a fair and balanced manner when the majority of your posts consist of arguments with others user, and even in this thread you've argued with and attempted to riducle people who don't think you'e cut out for it.
    and then you comment...
    Oh Dear, another bland post for us to cringe to...

Any good yellow house jokes lately mate? rolleyes.gif
    Some hypocritical posting ain't it?

Try again after 1000 posts, instead of 100, when you'll have some proper experience and insight instead of arguing your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Honestly i don't know why anybody would want to be a mod on this site,boards.ie is a profit making company and yet they have hundreds of people giving up there time and working for free for them.It says quite a lot about a mod actually when they are the ones working for free.

For me i see it as a power thing,maybe they were bullied in school and this is the only outlet they will ever have to show that they now have the power and not the bully,like in all honesty who would want to be a mod of the mustard forum or the cake & pie forum.And im sure some will say "well this site gave me a lot and i just want to give back" or something like "well i know so much about Mustard that it makes sense for me to be the mod".If a person is an expert on a subject then they should just give there input on it as a BM and not a mod.

That bit about living for the moderating role was obviously a joke. Also according to Dev Boards has yet to make a profit. If you don't like people being mods for free (and of their own choice), what to do you suggest, the 5 or 6 people who do get paid moderate the entire site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Look the OP is nothing but a troll just ignore it and it will eventually shut up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some of ye need to grow up and quit trolling around. Thread was never being taken serious but some people just insist on riding on in and both feeding the troll and trolling themselves.

Most of us don't give two fecks if the site makes a profit. We enjoy doing what we do. At the end of the day, without the mods, Boards wouldn't be where it is today and thousands of people wouldn't enjoy the site it has become. Most of us post here when we have some time, or mod here when we have some time, and enjoy doing so.

If you don't like it - lump it.

Anyway, seeing as we cant even just laugh at the trolling without people getting offended ill lock this up.

Topic Closed

If I'm honest Richie it's not worth allot anymore.

You think we use this site as mods? Speaking for myself 99.9% of the time I'm not posting as a mod only very rarely when I type in bold. I was a user of this site for years before I was asked to come in as a mod. It takes up at most 30minutes of my time a week(I know we are a quiet fourm but I'm speaking for myself) and the rest of the many hours I spend here are in the same way that I always have.

I'm happy to help out, I was happy in school and to be honest I couldn't give less of a **** about the very limited power that we have. I enjoy the bit of craic, I have met some very sound people through here. If all the moderators were to leave in the morning I can tell you now that Boards would be unuseable by Thursday for all the spamming and flame wars. You ever read the comments section on you tube? That is basically what it would turn into.

I'm a little saddened that you choose to take a very unnecessary dig at us seeing as your one of the more active users on here.

Edit: sorry Sully must have been typing as ya closed up.